Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux The dot command-line utility? Post 302334412 by varelg on Wednesday 15th of July 2009 01:04:06 PM
Old 07-15-2009
The dot command-line utility?

Hi,
What else is the dot used beside relative filepaths in bash? Is it a shell utility as well?
No man entry for dot (.)...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to list dot files

hey. i am a bit new to unix and i am trying to figure out how to list the names of the 'dot' files that are in my account. what command does this? thank you very much for your help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jakeman1086
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple ed questions - insert line with dot

Hi I've got a trivial question on using ed (yes, I know, other editors are better!) How do I insert a line that is just a single dot? (That is, how do I insert a line that starts with a dot and then new line) Thanks Peter (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterl
4 Replies

3. Programming

command line socket read utility

HI I have a messaging s/w daemon(TIBCO rvrd) provided by vendor which will accept connections from various clients and routes messages to the destinations. In order to route it internally uses two ports(one tcp adn one udp). I want to know on which port(tcp/udp) it is transmitting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
3 Replies

4. Programming

top command line utility

I'm writing a monitoring application. I'd like to periodically get the information provided by the 'top' command line utility from within my code and write the output of 'top' to a file. Wondering if anyone has already done something like this. Doing system("top > someFile"); does not create... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: antoniomorandi
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to call dot c file using system command

Hi every one, i have to dot pc files. One have main function but one dont have.I have to call dot pc file using system () cmd.File is being call have main function.Please let me know how i can call .pc file with two arguments from other dot pc file.I want some thing like sprintf(buf,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goraya430
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

DB Access Command Line Utility

To read/write to a DB from Java or Perl, you usually have to install/reference several drivers and write a whole bunch of boilerplate DB access code. I'm curious if someone has written a command line utility for Unix/Linux for simple database access for the major providers, something like: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: furashgf
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP command-line utility usage

Hi, Using command-line utility "ftp or sftp", I want to transfer files across Windows and UNIX. Can you please tell me from where I need to connect to ftp and how do I specify the hostname, credentials and how do I get and put files between DOS and UNIX? Please provide me as much... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dev_Dev
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to explaining a command in run dot tcl

Hi, I'm running a rdt (run dot tcl) command, and come accross this line: alias abc 'set ARGS =(\!*); source home123/abc/$ARGS/setup' What does the command exactly do? Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mar85
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in running a command line utility in CRON

Hi Everyone! I am facing an issue in running a command line utility from the CRON. This utility displays IPC statistics on UNIX message queues: The "queue name" and the "count" of messages in the queue. When running this utility from prompt, it will provide an output on the screen, like the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vai_sh
4 Replies
WHICH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  WHICH(1)

NAME
which - shows the full path of (shell) commands. SYNOPSIS
which [options] [--] programname [...] DESCRIPTION
Which takes one or more arguments. For each of its arguments it prints to stdout the full path of the executables that would have been exe- cuted when this argument had been entered at the shell prompt. It does this by searching for an executable or script in the directories listed in the environment variable PATH using the same algorithm as bash(1). This man page is generated from the file which.texinfo. OPTIONS
--all, -a Print all matching executables in PATH, not just the first. --read-alias, -i Read aliases from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using an alias for which itself. For example alias which='alias | which -i'. --skip-alias Ignore option `--read-alias', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-alias' option in an alias or function for which. --read-functions Read shell function definitions from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using a shell func- tion for which itself. For example: which() { declare -f | which --read-functions $@ } export -f which --skip-functions Ignore option `--read-functions', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-functions' option in an alias or function for which. --skip-dot Skip directories in PATH that start with a dot. --skip-tilde Skip directories in PATH that start with a tilde and executables which reside in the HOME directory. --show-dot If a directory in PATH starts with a dot and a matching executable was found for that path, then print "./programname" rather than the full path. --show-tilde Output a tilde when a directory matches the HOME directory. This option is ignored when which is invoked as root. --tty-only Stop processing options on the right if not on tty. --version,-v,-V Print version information on standard output then exit successfully. --help Print usage information on standard output then exit successfully. RETURN VALUE
Which returns the number of failed arguments, or -1 when no `programname' was given. EXAMPLE
The recommended way to use this utility is by adding an alias (C shell) or shell function (Bourne shell) for which like the following: [ba]sh: which () { (alias; declare -f) | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --read-functions --show-tilde --show-dot $@ } export -f which [t]csh: alias which 'alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-dot --show-tilde' This will print the readable ~/ and ./ when starting which from your prompt, while still printing the full path when used from a script: > which q2 ~/bin/q2 > echo `which q2` /home/carlo/bin/q2 BUGS
The HOME directory is determined by looking for the HOME environment variable, which aborts when this variable doesn't exist. Which will consider two equivalent directories to be different when one of them contains a path with a symbolic link. AUTHOR
Carlo Wood <carlo@gnu.org> SEE ALSO
bash(1) WHICH(1)