Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using variable in ls command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using variable in ls command Post 302334398 by Sangtha on Wednesday 15th of July 2009 12:18:56 PM
Old 07-15-2009
Thanks danmero!

But the directory path that I want to list is in the root.
I am currently in /home/aaa
the files that want to list is in /aa/bb/cc/dd/ee/ff/gg....
any help?
Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Export command giving Variable Name vs the Value set for the Variable

I'm having an issue when I export within my program. I'm getting the variable name, not the variable value. I have a configuration file (config.txt) that has the values of the variables set as so: set -a export ARCHIVEPOSourceDir="/interfaces/po/log /interfaces/po/data" export... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ParNone
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution

I know this script is crummy, but I was just messing around.. how do I get sed's insert command to allow variable expansion to show the filename? #!/bin/bash filename=`echo $0` /usr/bin/sed '/#include/ { i\ the filename is `$filename` }' $1 exit 0 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

command in variable

I am making a pipeline of several commands. This is a part of my shell script. array=( "mkdir src" "ls -l | grep tk_ > src/list" ) len=${#array } i=0; while ; do echo ${array} if !(${array}); then exit 1; fi; let i++ done --------------------------------------- "mkdir... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thsuk1
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variable with command substitution in variable

For example I have variable like below echo $OUTPUT /some/path/`uname -n` when I try to use the variable OUTPUT like below cd $OUTPUT or cd ${OUTPUT} I am getting bad substituion error message $ cd $OUTPUT ksh: cd: bad substitution $ cd ${OUTPUT} ksh: cd: bad substitution ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajukv
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable to command to Variable Question KSH

Hello, First post for Newbie as I am stumped. I need to get certain elements for a specific PID from the ps command. I am attempting to pass the value for the PID I want to retrieve the information for as a variable. When the following is run without using a variable, setting a specific PID,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Coyote270WSM
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line

I am working with a sh script on a solaris 9 zone (sol 10 host) that grabs information to build the configuration command line. the variables Build64, SSLopt, CONFIGopt, and CC are populated in the script. the script includes CC=`which gcc` CONFIGopt=' --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command in a variable

i want to copy the command awk -F "=" '{print $2}' in a user defined variable for later/multiple use... Please let me know how to do that.. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreedhar.rk123
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to pass variable in a command and assign value to a variable

Hello All, Hope you're doing well ! I am trying below command to be passed in a shell script, header_date_14 is a variable and $1 is the name of a file I intend to pass as a command line argument, however command line argument is not being accepted. header_date_14=$(m_dump... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
8 Replies
BURN(1) 							       Burn								   BURN(1)

NAME
burn - record from various sources to optical media (CD, DVD) SYNOPSIS
burn MAIN_MODE [OPTIONS]... [FILE/S]... burn --help DESCRIPTION
CD-writing program/script. Features Data-CD, Audio-CD, Copy on the fly, Iso-CD. CONFIGURATION
Configuration files for burn are: ~/.burnrc or /etc/burn.conf. You can edit them to change values. If you don't have these files you can: 1. use burn-configure utility 2. take the configuration template, edit and copy it as ~/.burnrc or /etc/burn.conf MAIN MODES
-D, --data-cd To create Data-CD -I, --iso-cd To create ISO-CD -C, --copy-cd To copy CDs -A, --audio-cd To create an audio CD from WAV, MP3 and ogg files EXAMPLES
# burn -D -p /etc/ Creates a CD with /etc/ contents. (you will find files and directories contained in /etc in CD's root.) # burn -D -p /home/bigpaul/video/summer_2003/spain.tar.gz Creates a CD with spain.tar.gz in CD's root # burn -D -r /etc/ Creates a CD containing the whole /etc/ directory. (-r preserves path) # burn -D -c /mail_2003 /home/bigpaul/Mail -p /boot/vmli* Creates a CD containing the whole /home/bigpaul/Mail renamed into /mail_2003. (-c changes path name). This command also adds in CD's root every vmli* file in /boot/ directory # burn -I -n image.iso Burns image.iso # burn -C Copy CDs (disk at once). # burn -A -a *.wav Creates an Audio CD. Tracks come from wav files # burn -A -a *.mp3 Creates an Audio CD. Tracks come from mp3 files # burn -A -a *.ogg Creates an Audio CD. Tracks come from Ogg Vorbis files # burn -A -a *.mp3 file.ogg track01.wav Creates an Audio CD preserving input order. In this example the first audio tracks will come from mp3 files, than we will find the one from file.ogg and finally the one from track01.wav GENERAL OPTIONS
-s, --simulate to perform a burn simulation DATA-CD OPTIONS -p, --path add file/s or path's content to CD-ROM's root. e.g.: -p /cvs/myproj/. In this example we will find CD-ROM's root filled with /cvs/myproj/ contents, but no /cvs/myproj/ will be created -r, --preserve-path add file/s or path's content to CD-ROM preserving original path. e.g.: -r /cvs/myproj/. In this example we will find /cvs/myproj/ in CD-ROM's root -x, --exclude-path every file or directory matching this string will not be included -c, --change-path old_path will be named new_path in CD-ROM. e.g.: -c /my_home/2004_Jan/ /home/bigpaul/. Thus /home/bigpaul/ will be named /my_home/2004_Jan/ in CD-ROM. -l, --follow-symlink this option allows burn to follow symbolic link directories -m, --multisession this option allows multisession CDs ISO-CD OPTIONS -n, --name image name AUDIO-CD OPTIONS -a, --audio-file mp3, ogg or wav file/s AUTHOR
Ben Finney <ben+python@benfinney.id.au>, Gaetano Paolone <bigpaul@hacknight.org> COPYRIGHT
This is free software: you may copy, modify, and/or distribute this work under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or later as published by the Free Software Foundation. No warranty expressed or implied. See the source for details. 2009-07-22 BURN(1)