Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Data Validation
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Data Validation Post 302334392 by kshji on Wednesday 15th of July 2009 12:04:42 PM
Old 07-15-2009
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

validate()
{
    val="$2"
    # remove all numbers = some left = not numbers
    # new=$( echo "$val" | tr -d "[0-9]" )
    # without external command:
    new=${val//[0-9]/}
    [ "$new" != "" ] && echo "$*" >&2 && return 1
    echo "$*"
}

oifs="$IFS"
while read line
do
     IFS=","
     validate $line
     IFS="$oifs"
done

And use this script:
Code:
cat file | ./thisscript   > ok.txt  2>err.txt

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

awk data validation

Hi , This is a general doubt.... Is there any way to do data validation inside an awk script.. Let me make it more clear.... I have a string variable inside awk script .. Is there any way to check whether it is number or string etc... Thanks in advance. Shihab (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shihabvk
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Data Validation

Hello, I am trying to use data validation with a program. I have everything else working fine. I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong with the data validation in one of my files. Here is the code: # data validation loop while : do # get input from keyboard ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericelysia
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

validation of data using filter (awk or other that works...) in csv files

Hello People I have the following file.csv: date,string,float,number,boolean 20080303,abc,1.5,123,Y 20080304,abc,1.2,345,N 20080229,nvh,1.4,098,Y 20080319,ugy,1.9,586,N 20080315,gyh,2.4,345,Y 20080316,erf,3.1,932,N I need to filter the date field where I have a data bigger than I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rafael.Buria
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script data & time validation

How to validate a date and optionly a time in shell scripting when i get the date and time as pararmeters that sent out with the call of the file? (in my case sh union.sh `first parameter ,second parameter...` (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tal
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File and Data Validation.

Hello, I am working on an interface between a legacy system and an ERP system.The format of the data extracted into the staging folder from the legacy system is a follows. One control file named ExtractDataControl.txt Multiple entity files eg R1001.txt, R1002.txt, R1020.txt The control... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Savio_Saldanha
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic data validation

hpux. older version. don't have alot of the newer features in some utilities. How do I verify that a variable starts with the letter A. I would like to make it case insensitive. Also, if I have a variable that has letters and numbers. I want to change all the lower case letters to upper case.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data validation engine

Generic Data validator Data file: Name,Sal,Dept ABC,1234,D1 AYX,12356,D2 DHF,345,ED3 123,4565,FGJG Config File: Delimiter-"," Rule1-Name- Rule2-Sal- Rule3-Dept-* Can be used to match any regex including date different format and numbers. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dikesm
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help With UNIX Shell Scripting For Data Validation

Hi All, I am completely new to Unix Shell Scripting. I m validating(Basic File Validation) an .HHT file in TIBCO. After that i need to do Data Validation through UNIX Shell scripting. Rules in DataValidation: 1.) Need to Check Every field wheather it is a Char or Number?(Fields are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chaitanya K
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Source data validation

I am using below logic to validate whether i am expecting the correct data from source,if not logic should give which column has error.i am running below logic in linux awk -F, ' NR==1{next} {f=" "} $1!~/^{0,5}$|^$/{f=f?f" emp_id-error":"emp_id-error"} $4!~/^{0,6}$|^$/{f=f?f"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: katakamvivek
4 Replies
UPSC(8) 							    NUT Manual								   UPSC(8)

NAME
upsc - example lightweight UPS client SYNOPSIS
upsc -l | -L [host] upsc ups [variable] upsc -c ups DESCRIPTION
upsc is provided as a quick way to poll the status of a UPS server. It can be used inside shell scripts and other programs that need UPS data but don't want to include the full interface. OPTIONS
-l host List all UPS names configured at host, one name per line. The hostname defaults to "localhost". You may optionally add a colon and a port number. -L host As above, list all UPS names configured at host, including their description provided by the remote upsd(8) from ups.conf(5). The hostname defaults to "localhost". You may optionally add a colon and a port number to override the default port. -c ups Lists each client connected on ups, one name per line. ups Display the status of that UPS. The format for this option is upsname[@hostname[:port]]. The default hostname is "localhost". variable Display the value of this variable only. By default, upsc retrieves the list of variables from the server and then displays the value for each. This may be useful in shell scripts to save an additional pipe into grep. EXAMPLES
To list all variables on an UPS named "myups" on a host called "mybox", with upsd(8) running on port 1234: $ upsc myups@mybox:1234 battery.charge: 100.0 battery.voltage: 13.9 battery.voltage.nominal: 13.6 . . . To list the UPSes configured on this system, along with their descriptions: $ upsc -L apc: Back-UPS 500 ppro2: Patriot Pro II To retrieve the status for all UPSes connected to mybox, using Bourne-shell syntax: $ for UPS in `upsc -l mybox:1234`; do upsc $UPS ups.status done To list clients connected on "myups": $ upsc -c myups 127.0.0.1 ::1 192.168.1.2 DIAGNOSTICS
upsc will either print a list of UPS names, a list of all supported variables and their values on the UPS, or an error message. If you receive an error, make sure you have specified a valid UPS on the command line, that upsd(8) is really running on the other host and that no firewalls are blocking you. HISTORY
Earlier versions of this program used the upsfetch library and UDP sockets to talk to upsd. This version of upsc uses the new upsclient library, which only talks TCP. This is why upsct no longer exists. SEE ALSO
upsd(8) INTERNET RESOURCES
The NUT (Network UPS Tools) home page: http://www.networkupstools.org/ Network UPS Tools 05/21/2012 UPSC(8)