Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: variable scope
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting variable scope Post 302334377 by kshji on Wednesday 15th of July 2009 11:24:47 AM
Old 07-15-2009
If you need both, then you must copy arguments ex. to array.
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
# arg
n=1
while [ $# -gt 0 ]
do
   args[$n]=$1
   shift
   (( n+=1 ))
done

fn()
{
    echo "1:${args[1]}"
    echo "3:${args[3]}"
    echo "4:${args[4]}"
    echo "my1:$1"
}

fn hello

test:
chmod a+rx arg
./arg 121 3243 "kkk jjj" lll

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C++ variable scope and mutexes

I've been wondering if I can make mutexes much easier to use in C++ with creative use of a locking class and variable scope, but I'm not sure if things happen in the order I want. Here's pseudocode for something that could use the class: int someclass::getvalue() { int retval; ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with shell variable's scope

Hi, I am stuck while developing a shell sub-routine which checks the log file for "success" or "failure". The subroutine reads the log file and checks for key word "success", if found it set the variable (found=1). It returns success or failure based on this variable. My problem is, I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjjoy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

scope of the variable - Naga

Hi All, I am new to unix shell scripting, in the below script "num" is an input file which contains a series of numbers example : 2 3 5 8 I want to add the above all numbers and want the result finally outside the while loop. it prints the value zero instead of the actual expected... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagnatar
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

scope of a Variable inside shell script

hi all, i'm using the following script, Status=1 Function_do () { while read line; do if ; then #echo $line if ; then Status=0 echo " LINKINK ERROR " fi fi done < ldd.log } Function_do (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vij_krr
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] Scope of KSH Variable in Perl?

cat test.ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh VAR="Dear Friends \n How are you? \n Have a nice day \n" export VAR echo "Inside test.ksh"; ./test.pl cat test.pl #!/usr/bin/perl print "Inside test.pl \n"; print "$VAR"; Output: ./test.ksh Inside test.ksh Inside test.plWhat I want to achieve is, I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dahlia84
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash loops and variable scope

Hi All, I've been researching this problem and I am pretty sure that the issue is related to the while loop and the piping. There are plenty of other threads about this issue that recommend removing the pipe and using redirection. However, I haven't been able to get it working using the ssh and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 1skydive
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with retaining variable scope

Hi, I use Korn Shell. Searched Forum and modified the way the file is input to the while loop, but still the variable does not seem to be retaining the final count. while read name do Tmp=`echo $name | awk '{print $9 }'` Count=`cat $Tmp | wc -l`... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchill
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable scope in bash

Hello! Before you "bash" me with - Not another post of this kind Please read on and you will understand my problem... I am using the below to extract a sum of the diskIO on a Solaris server. #!/bin/sh PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin; export PATH TEMP1="/tmp/raw-sar-output.txt$$"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haaru
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maintain Scope of the variable in UNIX

Hi All Is there is any way to maintain the scope of the variable in unix Example x=1 j=1 while do .. .... .... while do .. .. x=x+1 done #inner most while loop ends here done #outer loop ends here (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
8 Replies

10. Programming

Variable Scope in Perl

I have to admit that i have not used Perl at all and this is a singular occasion where i have to patch an existing Perl script. I dearly hope i do not have to do it again for the next 15 years and therefore try to avoid having to learn the programming language in earnest. The OS is AIX 7.1, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
2 Replies
XtSetArg()																XtSetArg()

Name
  XtSetArg - set a resource name and value in an argument list.

Synopsis
  void XtSetArg(arg, resource_name, value)
	 Arg arg;
	 String resource_name;
	 XtArgVal value;

Inputs
  arg	    Specifies the Arg structure to set.

resource_name
	    Specifies the name of the resource.

value     Specifies the value of the resource, or its address.

Description
  XtSetArg()  sets  arg.name to resource_name, and sets arg.value to value.  If the size of the resource is less than or equal to the size of
  an XtArgVal, the resource value is stored directly in value; otherwise, a pointer to it is stored in value.

XtSetArg() is implemented as the following macro:

#define XtSetArg(arg, n, d)     ((void)( (arg).name = (n), (arg).value = (XtArgVal)(d) ))

Because this macro evaluates arg twice, you must not use an expression with autoincrement, autodecrement or other  side  effects  for  this
  argument.

Usage
  Many	Intrinsics  functions  need  to be passed pairs of resource names and values in an ArgList to set or override resource values.	XtSe-
  tArg() is used to set or dynamically change values in an Arg structure or ArgList array.

Note that in Release 4, a number of functions beginning with the prefix XtVa were added to the Intrinsics.  These functions accept a	NULL-
  terminated variable-length argument list instead of a single ArgList array.  Often these forms of the functions are easier to use.

Example
  XtSetArg() is usually used in a highly stylized manner to minimize the probability of making a mistake; for example:

Arg args[20];
     int n;
     n = 0;
     XtSetArg(args[n], XtNheight, 100);      n++;
     XtSetArg(args[n], XtNwidth, 200);	     n++;
     XtSetValues(widget, args, n);

Incrementing	the  array  index  on  the same line means that resource settings can be easily read, inserted, deleted or commented out on a
  line-by-line basis.  If you use this approach, be careful when using XtSetArg() inside an if statement-don't forget to use curly braces  to
  include the increment statement.

Alternatively, an application can statically declare the argument list:

static Args args[] = {
	     {XtNheight, (XtArgVal) 100},
	     {XtNwidth, (XtArgVal) 200},
     };
     XtSetValues(Widget, args, XtNumber(args));

Structures
  The Arg and ArgList types are defined as follows:

typedef struct {
	 String name;
	 XtArgVal value;
     } Arg, *ArgList;

The definition of XtArgVal differs depending on architecture-its purpose is precisely to make code portable between architectures with dif-
  ferent word sizes.

See Also
  XtMergeArgLists(1), XtNumber(1).

Xt - Argument Lists															XtSetArg()