Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Definitions/explanations
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Definitions/explanations Post 302334319 by pludi on Wednesday 15th of July 2009 08:48:41 AM
Old 07-15-2009
No, it's not possible to jump between sections (at least not with the command-line utility). The usual chain of processing is
  • man searches for the file for the given command
  • man invokes groff/troff/any other parser to format and output the file
  • this output is then sent to a pager (more/less/...)
The pager itself has no idea of man pages or any links between them. Sections are just a way to logically structure the many pages available.

As for the games: almost every distribution has a package 'bsd-games' (or similar), containing classics like fortune, atc, caesar, or trek. Those man pages would be placed in section 6.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Termcap Definitions

Hi. How do I enter and escape from graphics mode on RedHat Linux to capture escape sequences. I'm trying to edit the system termcap. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

ping program with explanations please!!!!!

need help!! need a ping program written in c with the explanations as to what each variable,function does!!! please help!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin_zeus
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

function definitions file for bc

Hello, All :) ...I just figured out how to setup a function definitions file for bc...I was going to create lots more functions for it, but I'll bet that a huge file with tons of definitions has already been written...? Thanx in advance for any replies, Pudnik (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pudnik
0 Replies

4. AIX

/etc/subsync parms definitions ?

In our Cron table, we have the /etc/subsync client ipadr1 ipadr2 Each ipadr is an actual IP adress. I think it has something to do with synchronizing the clock between servers, but what is the ipadr2 for ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bashscript for learning definitions

Hi, I am a german lawstudent and have to learn a few hundred definitions and laws in the next months. I thought it would be cool to have a little helper, a bashscript which is working with flat textfiles. I found one in the archlinuxforum which was almost perfect...almost. It is on some point based... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phr0st
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sensors Explanations

Hello, I am trying to get some information from the sensors on my pc. But i get confuse with what i get. I don t know where to find out which sensors watches what.. I use "sensors" under ubuntu 10.10. Here is the result of the cmd line sudo sensors. the temp 3 indicates 79°C which... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mat_k
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need some explanations in commands

I want to know what's the meaning of the following commands first eg ^*a*e*i*o*u*$What does exactly the *a,*e,*i ...*$ means in this command? I know that i can also use this command without the *a,*e,*i ... *$! At this ocassion what's the difference? second eg sed ‘s/^/<tab>/’ file1In sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotsos13
2 Replies

8. Programming

I need some explanations

hello let me start with i am a php ,vb ,c# programmer i heared that Routers run a smaller version of linux called an Embedded Operating System i don't know what is that mean so i want to know how to get into router files ? how to edit it ? what language it use , is it c and c++ ?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mr.vip
1 Replies
MAN(1)							      General Commands Manual							    MAN(1)

NAME
man, lookman - print or find pages of this manual SYNOPSIS
man [ option ... ] [ section ... ] title ... lookman key ... DESCRIPTION
Man locates and prints pages of this manual named title in the specified sections. Title is given in lower case. Each section is a num- ber; pages marked (2S), for example, belong to chapter 2. If no section is specified, pages in all sections are printed. Any name from the NAME section at the top of the page will serve as a title. The options are: -p Run proof(1) on the specified man pages. -t Run troff and send its output to standard output. -n (Default) Print the pages on the standard output using nroff. Lookman prints the names of all manual sections that contain all of the key words given on the command line. FILES
/sys/man/?/* troff source for manual; this page is /sys/man/1/man /sys/man/?/INDEX indices searched to find pages corresponding to titles /sys/lib/man/secindex command to make an index for a given section /sys/lib/man/lookman/index index for lookman SOURCE
/rc/bin/man /rc/bin/lookman SEE ALSO
proof(1) BUGS
The manual was intended to be typeset; some detail is sacrificed on text terminals. There is no automatic mechanism to keep the indices up to date. Except for special cases, it doesn't recognize things that should be run through tbl and/or eqn. MAN(1)