Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to remove last two extensions of a filename Post 302334165 by srikanthg on Wednesday 15th of July 2009 02:32:53 AM
Old 07-15-2009
hi

hi ryandegreat25

thanks for the reply .. but i have a list of file names in a variable

filename="gtk2-2.4.13-24.el4.x86_64.rpm gtk2-2.4.13-24.el4.srik.hhh.rpm ...etc"
and want the output as gtk2-2.4.13-24.el4 and gtk2-2.4.13-24.el4.srik

in this case i just want to remove the last two extensions of filenames

is it possible to remove the extensions based on last two "." ' s

Regards
srik

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove filename prefix

I've got a bunch of files called oldabc, olddef etc. i want to copy these to be abc, def.... I can do this with file extensions....but can get the logic to work for prefixes. All the files I am interested in have a prefix of 'old'. This loop is no good for me....it looks at the content... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove path from filename

In a foreach loop I end up with $file containing the filename INCLUDING the whole path. I want this reduced to just the filename, but I can't seem to remember how I did it some years back. I am sure I can do it with "sed", but I am pretty sure I have seen a simpler command. Anyone? borgeh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: borgeh
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove numbers from filename

Hi all, Can I edit this script: find . -type f | while read i;do && mv "$i" "${i//abc/}" ;done so that it will not only take out abc from the filename but also take out any numbers that might be in the filename as well. An example would be, Input: filename abc 2009.mov Output:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Monkey Dean
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change filename extensions..from command line

I want to change the extensions of a folder full of files (some of the files are located in subfolders as well) to another extension, but instead of replacing the files I want the new files to be copied into a newly created folder. Here is the folder structure: /Downloads/3eb... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bound4h
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last character from filename

Hi All, I have different type of file (.txt,.csv,.xml) format in my current directory. My requirement is that I need to remove the last character from the file format. Example count.txt$ csp_rules.csv^ Date.xml~ Need Output: count.txt csp_rules.csv Date.xml How to do that?.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh01_apk
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove parts from a filename

I want to remove the beginning and end of a filename and keep the middle. E.g. tempblast7114_1#21110932.out_ the current filename I want it to be called 7114_1#21 only How would I do this?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avonm
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove comments from file with specific file name extensions

Hello Unix board community, I have to program a shell script, but I am a complete noob so I hope I get some help here. The assignment is as follows: The program removes all comments regardless of formatting or language from files with specific file name extensions (php, css, js, ...).... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheZeusMan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove sections of a filename?

Hello, I need some help with renaming some files by removing a certain portion of the filename. The current file name is: ABC_2013186197_20130708_203556.95336 I need to remove the 5 digits after the first "_". The new file name should be: ABC_197_20130708_203556.95336 I'm not quite... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the last 9 characters of a filename

Hi All! Please can someone help, I have a dir with the following files: ~-rw-r--r-- 1 emmuser users 2087361 Oct 16 15:50 MPGGSN02_20131007234519_24291.20131007 -rw-r--r-- 1 emmuser users 2086837 Oct 16 15:50 MPGGSN02_20131007233529_24272.20131007 -rw-r--r-- 1 emmuser ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces in filename

Hi team, Here's a requirement for me. Here are the list of files i have in a unix directory. W 2 A D_2014.csv W 3 A D_2014.csv W 4 A D_2014.csv /home/kmani00-> uname -a AIX sliyyvxx 1 6 00F613E54C00 /home/kmani00-> The file names has to be without spaces as follows. W2AD_2014.csv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
1 Replies
Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)

NAME
Alien::Package::Rpm - an object that represents a rpm package DESCRIPTION
This is an object class that represents a rpm package. It is derived from Alien::Package. FIELDS
prefixes Relocatable rpm packages have a prefixes field. METHODS
checkfile Detect rpm files by their extention. install Install a rpm. If RPMINSTALLOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. scan Implement the scan method to read a rpm file. unpack Implement the unpack method to unpack a rpm file. This is a little nasty because it has to handle relocatable rpms and has to do a bit of permissions fixing as well. prep Prepare for package building by generating the spec file. cleantree Delete the spec file. build Build a rpm. If RPMBUILDOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. An optional parameter, if passed, can be used to specify the program to use to build the rpm. It defaults to rpmbuild. version Set/get version. When retreiving the version, remove any dashes in it. postinst postrm preinst prerm Set/get script fields. When retrieving a value, we have to do some truely sick mangling. Since debian/slackware scripts can be anything -- perl programs or binary files -- and rpm is limited to only shell scripts, we need to encode the files and add a scrap of shell script to make it unextract and run on the fly. When setting a value, we do some mangling too. Rpm maintainer scripts are typically shell scripts, but often lack the leading shebang line. This can confuse dpkg, so add the shebang if it looks like there is no shebang magic already in place. Additionally, it's not uncommon for rpm maintainer scripts to contain bashisms, which can be triggered when they are ran on systems where /bin/sh is not bash. To work around this, the shebang line of the scripts is changed to use bash. Also, if the rpm is relocatable, the script could refer to RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX, which is set by rpm at run time. Deal with this by adding code to the script to set RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX. arch Set/get arch field. When the arch field is set, some sanitizing is done first to convert it to the debian format used internally. When it's retreived it's converted back to rpm form from the internal form. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> perl v5.12.3 2011-06-11 Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)