Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using variable in ls command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using variable in ls command Post 302334075 by Sangtha on Tuesday 14th of July 2009 05:18:24 PM
Old 07-14-2009
I will enter the directory path and capture it in a variable. When I execute this command, i get the message " ls $dir_name out_* | wc -l" command not found.

Thanks1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Export command giving Variable Name vs the Value set for the Variable

I'm having an issue when I export within my program. I'm getting the variable name, not the variable value. I have a configuration file (config.txt) that has the values of the variables set as so: set -a export ARCHIVEPOSourceDir="/interfaces/po/log /interfaces/po/data" export... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ParNone
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution

I know this script is crummy, but I was just messing around.. how do I get sed's insert command to allow variable expansion to show the filename? #!/bin/bash filename=`echo $0` /usr/bin/sed '/#include/ { i\ the filename is `$filename` }' $1 exit 0 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

command in variable

I am making a pipeline of several commands. This is a part of my shell script. array=( "mkdir src" "ls -l | grep tk_ > src/list" ) len=${#array } i=0; while ; do echo ${array} if !(${array}); then exit 1; fi; let i++ done --------------------------------------- "mkdir... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thsuk1
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variable with command substitution in variable

For example I have variable like below echo $OUTPUT /some/path/`uname -n` when I try to use the variable OUTPUT like below cd $OUTPUT or cd ${OUTPUT} I am getting bad substituion error message $ cd $OUTPUT ksh: cd: bad substitution $ cd ${OUTPUT} ksh: cd: bad substitution ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajukv
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable to command to Variable Question KSH

Hello, First post for Newbie as I am stumped. I need to get certain elements for a specific PID from the ps command. I am attempting to pass the value for the PID I want to retrieve the information for as a variable. When the following is run without using a variable, setting a specific PID,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Coyote270WSM
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line

I am working with a sh script on a solaris 9 zone (sol 10 host) that grabs information to build the configuration command line. the variables Build64, SSLopt, CONFIGopt, and CC are populated in the script. the script includes CC=`which gcc` CONFIGopt=' --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command in a variable

i want to copy the command awk -F "=" '{print $2}' in a user defined variable for later/multiple use... Please let me know how to do that.. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreedhar.rk123
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to pass variable in a command and assign value to a variable

Hello All, Hope you're doing well ! I am trying below command to be passed in a shell script, header_date_14 is a variable and $1 is the name of a file I intend to pass as a command line argument, however command line argument is not being accepted. header_date_14=$(m_dump... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
8 Replies
MYSQL_CLIENT_TEST(1)					       MySQL Database System					      MYSQL_CLIENT_TEST(1)

NAME
mysql_client_test - test client API mysql_client_test_embedded - test client API for embedded server SYNOPSIS
mysql_client_test [options] [test_name] ... mysql_client_test_embedded [options] [test_name] ... DESCRIPTION
The mysql_client_test program is used for testing aspects of the MySQL client API that cannot be tested using mysqltest and its test language. mysql_client_test_embedded is similar but used for testing the embedded server. Both programs are run as part of the test suite. The source code for the programs can be found in in tests/mysql_client_test.c in a source distribution. The program serves as a good source of examples illustrating how to use various features of the client API. mysql_client_test is used in a test by the same name in the main tests suite of mysql-test-run.pl but may also be run directly. Unlike the other programs listed here, it does not read an external description of what tests to run. Instead, all tests are coded into the program, which is written to cover all aspects of the C language API. mysql_client_test supports the following options: o --help, -? Display a help message and exit. o --basedir=dir_name, -b dir_name The base directory for the tests. o --count=count, -t count The number of times to execute the tests. o --database=db_name, -D db_name The database to use. o --debug[=debug_options], -#[debug_options] Write a debugging log if MySQL is built with debugging support. The default debug_options value is 'd:t:o,/tmp/mysql_client_test.trace'. o --getopt-ll-test=option, -g option Option to use for testing bugs in the getopt library. o --host=host_name, -h host_name Connect to the MySQL server on the given host. o --password[=password], -p[password] The password to use when connecting to the server. If you use the short option form (-p), you cannot have a space between the option and the password. If you omit the password value following the --password or -p option on the command line, you are prompted for one. o --port=port_num, -P port_num The TCP/IP port number to use for the connection. o --server-arg=arg, -A arg Argument to send to the embedded server. o --show-tests, -T Show all test names. o --silent, -s Be more silent. o --socket=path, -S path The socket file to use when connecting to localhost (which is the default host). o --testcase, -c The option is used when called from mysql-test-run.pl, so that mysql_client_test may optionally behave in a different way than if called manually, for example by skipping some tests. Currently, there is no difference in behavior but the option is included to make this possible. o --user=user_name, -u user_name The MySQL user name to use when connecting to the server. o -v dir_name, --vardir=dir_name The data directory for tests. The default is mysql-test/var. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2006, 2013, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. This documentation is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it only under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License. This documentation is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA or see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/. SEE ALSO
For more information, please refer to the MySQL Reference Manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/. AUTHOR
Oracle Corporation (http://dev.mysql.com/). MySQL 01/23/2014 MYSQL_CLIENT_TEST(1)