Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using variable in ls command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using variable in ls command Post 302334063 by Sangtha on Tuesday 14th of July 2009 04:29:28 PM
Old 07-14-2009
Using variable in ls command

I am in /home/aaa path and trying to list all the files in different directory - the path to this directory is lengthy. For example: aa/bb/cc/dd/ee/ff/gg/hh/ii/jj... and also the path will change dynamically.

HEnce I capture the directory path in a variable. How to use this variable in ls command.

The variable is $dir_name

I currently have ls $dir_name out_* | wc -l

To list all files starting with "out_" from directory in variable "$dir_name".

This is not working. Please advise.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Export command giving Variable Name vs the Value set for the Variable

I'm having an issue when I export within my program. I'm getting the variable name, not the variable value. I have a configuration file (config.txt) that has the values of the variables set as so: set -a export ARCHIVEPOSourceDir="/interfaces/po/log /interfaces/po/data" export... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ParNone
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution

I know this script is crummy, but I was just messing around.. how do I get sed's insert command to allow variable expansion to show the filename? #!/bin/bash filename=`echo $0` /usr/bin/sed '/#include/ { i\ the filename is `$filename` }' $1 exit 0 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

command in variable

I am making a pipeline of several commands. This is a part of my shell script. array=( "mkdir src" "ls -l | grep tk_ > src/list" ) len=${#array } i=0; while ; do echo ${array} if !(${array}); then exit 1; fi; let i++ done --------------------------------------- "mkdir... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thsuk1
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variable with command substitution in variable

For example I have variable like below echo $OUTPUT /some/path/`uname -n` when I try to use the variable OUTPUT like below cd $OUTPUT or cd ${OUTPUT} I am getting bad substituion error message $ cd $OUTPUT ksh: cd: bad substitution $ cd ${OUTPUT} ksh: cd: bad substitution ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajukv
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable to command to Variable Question KSH

Hello, First post for Newbie as I am stumped. I need to get certain elements for a specific PID from the ps command. I am attempting to pass the value for the PID I want to retrieve the information for as a variable. When the following is run without using a variable, setting a specific PID,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Coyote270WSM
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line

I am working with a sh script on a solaris 9 zone (sol 10 host) that grabs information to build the configuration command line. the variables Build64, SSLopt, CONFIGopt, and CC are populated in the script. the script includes CC=`which gcc` CONFIGopt=' --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command in a variable

i want to copy the command awk -F "=" '{print $2}' in a user defined variable for later/multiple use... Please let me know how to do that.. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreedhar.rk123
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to pass variable in a command and assign value to a variable

Hello All, Hope you're doing well ! I am trying below command to be passed in a shell script, header_date_14 is a variable and $1 is the name of a file I intend to pass as a command line argument, however command line argument is not being accepted. header_date_14=$(m_dump... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
8 Replies
chroot(2)							System Calls Manual							 chroot(2)

NAME
chroot() - change root directory SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
causes the named directory to become the root directory, the starting point for path searches for path names beginning with path points to a path name naming a directory. The user's working directory is unaffected by the system call. The entry in the root directory is interpreted to mean the root directory itself. Thus, cannot be used to access files outside the subtree rooted at the root directory. Security Restrictions The effective user ID of the process must be a user with the privilege to change the root directory. See privileges(5) for more information about privileged access on systems that support fine-grained privileges. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Successful completion. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
fails and the root directory remains unchanged if one or more of the following is true: Any component of the path name is not a directory. The named directory does not exist or a component of the path does not exist. The effective user ID is not a user who has the privilege. path points outside the allocated address space of the process. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. The length of the specified path name exceeds bytes, or the length of a component of the path name exceeds bytes while is in effect. Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the path name. WARNINGS
Obsolescent Interfaces is to be obsoleted at a future date. SEE ALSO
chroot(1M), chdir(2), privileges(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
TO BE OBSOLETED chroot(2)