Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Error while doing rcp to localhost Post 302334037 by coolket on Tuesday 14th of July 2009 02:48:34 PM
Old 07-14-2009
Hi Methyl.

Thanks for the reply. Found out that .login was also being sourced from .cshrc causing this problem.

Thanks for your help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rcp error

I'm trying to perform a rcp to a remote machine, but it keeps throwing up "LOGNAME: undefined variable" error. When I echo $LOGNAME, it comes up with my username. I have tried setting both the .rhosts and the .hosts.equiv file but to no avail (on both machines as well out of desperation!). Anyone... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: divid_gil
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX localhost error

I have a AIX box. When i ping localhost, it is pinging to some other IP address. When I remove resolv.conf it is working fine. ? What could be the reason ? I have netsvc.conf file with the below given entry hosts=local,bind Many Thanks !! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pramodvr
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rcp error trapping in rsh

I am writing a program which is something like below: rsh host1 "rcp file dest:directory" I am running this script from a machine host2. host1 has rlogin configuration for host2. but, dest machine has no rlogin configuration for host1 and fails on remote calls. Could anyone tell me how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvejendla
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

localhost problem!

hello guys, this morning when I start my pc (gentoo) I get some strange errors about localhost. "Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName" ... Apache the same for my aplications, I have to use the full address of my pc instead of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: georgeplus
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need error code: rcp - reset by peer

I'm modifying a script that usese rcp. Currently the script may fail because of the "reset by peer" error message. I want to trap this in the script using a check with the $? Can anyone tell me what the error code is for the "Reset by Peer" error message when encountered by the rcp command. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimcampanella
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

running localhost:8080 on firefox gives error .

I have copied a simple.xml file into the folder /var/www/html and trying to access it on the brower by giving the command "http://localhost:8080/simple.xml" but it gives "Connection Failed " Error . While if i type "http://localhost/" It dispays the contents of the index.html file in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhumathikv
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SSH/RCP connectivity error

Hi Team, Hope you will be able to help me out with this problem. Our sun solaris 9 system receives Idoc files from another xxx system through RCP. But before RCP they establish an SSH connection. Since today morning they are not able to establish connection and is getting an error as pasted below... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anitha111
0 Replies

8. AIX

Rcp error while transferring files

i am trying to use a rsh script that uses the rcp command to copy files from server to server but it always produce the following error: HOSTNAME: protocol failure due to unexpected closure from server end Error: failed to copy /test to HOST2 system Error: failed to execute command on remote... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Portabello
5 Replies

9. Debian

Waiting for localhost.

I am getting the message - waiting for localhost. Here are some diagnostic steps I have tried .... root@meow:/home/ethan# cat /var/www/cgi-bin/httpd.conf ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/jkj ServerName 127.0.0.1:80 Listen xx.xx.xx.xx:80 Listen 127.0.0.1:80 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Meow613
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

Rsync an rcp error

Hi, I have installed rsync (together with its dependencies) in both source and destination HPUX servers (V 11.31). However when I attempt to copy files over (as user root) I get this error : # rsync -avz ./* root@10.97.131.4:/tmp/copy Password: sh: rsync: not found. rsync: connection... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
5 Replies
RCP(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    RCP(1)

NAME
rcp -- remote file copy SYNOPSIS
rcp [-px] [-k realm] file1 file2 rcp [-px] [-r] [-k realm] file ... directory DESCRIPTION
Rcp copies files between machines. Each file or directory argument is either a remote file name of the form ``rname@rhost:path'', or a local file name (containing no `:' characters, or a `/' before any `:'s). -r If any of the source files are directories, rcp copies each subtree rooted at that name; in this case the destination must be a direc- tory. -p The -p option causes rcp to attempt to preserve (duplicate) in its copies the modification times and modes of the source files, ignor- ing the umask. By default, the mode and owner of file2 are preserved if it already existed; otherwise the mode of the source file mod- ified by the umask(2) on the destination host is used. -k The -k option requests rcp to obtain tickets for the remote host in realm realm instead of the remote host's realm as determined by krb_realmofhost(3). -x The -x option turns on DES encryption for all data passed by rcp. This may impact response time and CPU utilization, but provides increased security. If path is not a full path name, it is interpreted relative to the login directory of the specified user ruser on rhost, or your current user name if no other remote user name is specified. A path on a remote host may be quoted (using , ", or ') so that the metacharacters are interpreted remotely. Rcp does not prompt for passwords; it performs remote execution via rsh(1), and requires the same authorization. Rcp handles third party copies, where neither source nor target files are on the current machine. SEE ALSO
cp(1), ftp(1), rsh(1), rlogin(1) HISTORY
The rcp command appeared in 4.2BSD. The version of rcp described here has been reimplemented with Kerberos in 4.3BSD-Reno. BUGS
Doesn't detect all cases where the target of a copy might be a file in cases where only a directory should be legal. Is confused by any output generated by commands in a .login, .profile, or .cshrc file on the remote host. The destination user and hostname may have to be specified as ``rhost.rname'' when the destination machine is running the 4.2BSD version of rcp. Linux NetKit (0.17) August 15, 1999 Linux NetKit (0.17)