Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl hash of hashes from database Post 302333915 by hcclnoodles on Tuesday 14th of July 2009 09:59:44 AM
Old 07-14-2009
perl hash of hashes from database

hi there, I have some database output that looks like this

Code:
SELECT nic_name,nic_duplex,nic_speed,nic_ip FROM network_table WHERE hostname = "server1"

result is this (ive delimited with a pipe for ease of reading)

Code:
bge0|full|1000|10.32.100.1
bge1|full|1000|11.12.101.7 
bge2|full|100|13.12.10.17

Now, i know how to create a hash of hashes manually from this data, and it works just fine, see below

Code:
#!/opt/coolstack/bin/perl
  %HoH = (     
       bge0 => {         
                      nic_speed   => "full",
                      nic_duplex  => "1000", 
                      nic_ip      => "10.32.100.1",   
                   },     
       bge1 => {        
                      nic_speed   => "full",
                      nic_duplex  => "1000",      
                      nic_ip      => "11.12.101.7",    
                   },    
       bge2 => {         
                      nic_speed   => "full",       
                      nic_duplex  => "100",        
                      nic_ip      => "13.12.10.17",   
                   }, 
            );

however, can somebody advise me how I would get this hash of hashes auto-generated straight from the database using DBI ? currently all I have is

Code:
#!/opt/coolstack/bin/perl

use DBI; 
$box = "server1";  
my $dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:CMDB",root,password,) or die $DBI::errstr; 

my $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT nic_name,nic_duplex,nic_speed,nic_ip FROM network_table WHERE hostname = '$box'") or die $DBI::errstr;  

$sth->execute or die $DBI::errstr; 

while (my $hashr = $sth->fetchrow_hashref) { 

}

but i really dont know how I can self populate my hash of hashes directly from the SELECT statement which produces the table above..somebody suggested using fetchrow_hashref hence why i have added it in the line above, but it doesnt seem to do what i want

Any help or guidance on this would be greatly appreciated ( i am very new to perl)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl hashes "Can't use subscript on private hash"

This is driving me mad, where am I going wrong? The relevant segment of code: sub getndsybcons { my @servers=@{$_}; my @sybservers=@{$_}; my %results; foreach my $server(@servers) { my $biggestsyb; my $biggestsybval=0; ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Entire hash list (hash of hashes)

I have a script with dynamic hash of hashes , and I want to print the entire hash (with all other hashes). Itried to do it recursively by checking if the current key is a hash and if yes call the current function again with refference to the sub hash. Most of the printing seems to be OK but in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alalush
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - printing a hash of hashes to screen

Hi there I have a hash of hashes made up of the following data bge0|100|half|10.36.100.21 bge1|1000|full|10.36.100.22 bge2|1000|full|10.36.100.23 which when i turn into a hash, would look like this inside the system bge0 -> nic_speed -> 100 nic_duplex -> half ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - another quick hash of hashes question

Hi, sorry, two hash related questions in one day .. but this has got me a bit stuck. I have a mysql database table that kind of looks like this, the table is called "view1" and a snippet of that table (SELECT'ing just rows with serial number 0629AN1200) is below serial nic_name ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Hash:Can not keep hash data in the same order that it was inserted

Can Someone explain me why even using Tie::IxHash I can not get the output data in the same order that it was inserted? See code below. #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; use Tie::IxHash; use strict; tie (my %programs, "Tie::IxHash"); while (my $line = <DATA>) { chomp $line; my(... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgfcoimbra
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

hash of hashes : how to print reference and its internal structure?

#use perl 5.8.5; my %h1=(a=>'b', c=>'d'); my %h2=(a1=>'b1', c1=>'d1'); my $R1=\%h1; my $R2=\%h2; my %h= {$R1, $R2}; my $href=\%h; # hash of hashes foreach my $key (keys %$href){ print "Z::$$href{$key}\n" } When I am trying to print elements of hash of hashes, it prints HASH... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shristi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: dereferencing a hash of hashes

Hi there, I am trying to dereference my hash of hashes but post dereferencing, it seems to lose its structure I am using Data::dumper to help me anaylise. This is the code im using to build the HoH, (data comes from a file). I have also performed a Dumper on the data structure before and after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rethink
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values of hashes of hash for n number of hash in perl without sorting.

Hi, I have an hashes of hash, where hash is dynamic, it can be n number of hash. i need to compare data_count values of all . my %result ( $abc => { 'data_count' => '10', 'ID' => 'ABC122', } $def => { 'data_count' => '20', 'ID' => 'defASe', ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asak
1 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

Whitelist, goodware, database of hashes

I have found this excellent site: NSRL Downloads (sorry if it was already mentioned) there are Solaris and Linux files there too. its all in a text file, over 11Gb large. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl hash of hashes anonymous array

Hello experts. I'm having problems with a snippet of code. I was hoping to get help/advice to correct. A file that this script parses has changed to the point where I can no longer use a scalar, it looks as though I need to create an array for a hash of hashes below. The first output of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: timj123
1 Replies
DBIx::Simple::Comparison(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     DBIx::Simple::Comparison(3pm)

NAME
DBIx::Simple::Comparison - DBIx::Simple in DBI jargon DESCRIPTION
This is just a simple and inaccurate overview of what DBI things the DBIx::Simple things represent, or the other way around. This document can be useful to find the foo equivalent of bar. "?" means that DBI doesn't have an equivalent or that I couldn't find one. "=" means that DBIx::Simple provides a direct wrapper to the DBI function. "~" means that DBIx::Simple's method does more or less the same, but usually in a more high level way: context sensitive, combining things, automatically taking care of something. Note that DBIx::Simple is a wrapper around DBI. It is not "better" than DBI. In fact, DBIx::Simple cannot work without DBI. Using DBI directly is always faster than using DBIx::Simple's equivalents. (For the computer, that is. For you, DBIx::Simple is supposed to be faster.) Classes, common names use DBI ~ use DBIx::Simple $DBI::errstr = DBIx::Simple->error DBI::db ~ DBIx::Simple $dbh ~ $db $dbh->errstr = $db->error connect ~ connect connect ~ new DBI::st ~ DBIx::Simple::Result <undef> ~ DBIx::Simple::Dummy $sth ~ $result Queries DBI my $sth = $dbh->prepare_cached($query); $sth->execute(@values); ~ DBIx::Simple my $result = $db->query($query, $values); Results DBI DBIx::Simple bind_columns ~ bind fetchrow_arrayref/fetch = fetch fetchrow_array ~ list *1 ~ flat [@{fetchrow_arrayref}] = array fetchall_arrayref ~ arrays fetchrow_hashref() *2*3 = hash fetchall_arrayref({}) *4 ~ hashes fetchall_hashref *2 = map_hashes ? ? map_arrays fetchall_hashref(1) *2 = map $sth->{NAME_lc/NAME} = $result->columns *1 There's no fetch variant, but you can do "{ @{ $dbh->selectcol_arrayref('SELECT ...', { Slice => [] }) } }". *2 To receive the keys (column names) lowercased, use "$db->{FetchHashKeyName} = 'NAME_lc'". DBIx::Simple lower cases them by default. *3 Or supply an argument, 'NAME_lc'. *4 No, arrayref isn't a typo. When supplied an empty hash reference, DBI's fetchall_arrayref actually returns hashrefs. This DBI method does not support lower casing of keys, DBIx::Simple does. Direct access DBI DBIx::Simple $dbh = $db->dbh $sth->{$foo} = $result->attr($foo) func = func begin_work = begin_work commit = commit rollback = rollback last_insert_id = last_insert_id rows = rows disconnect ~ disconnect finish ~ finish DBIx::Simple specific (?) keep_statements lc_columns iquery (via SQL::Interp) select, insert, update, delete (via SQL::Abstract) abstract (via SQL::Abstract) flat hashes map_arrays map LICENSE
There is no license. This software was released into the public domain. Do with it what you want, but on your own risk. The author disclaims any responsibility. AUTHOR
Juerd Waalboer <juerd@cpan.org> <http://juerd.nl/> SEE ALSO
DBI, DBIx::Simple perl v5.10.0 2007-07-14 DBIx::Simple::Comparison(3pm)