Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to list file names instead of lines when grep a gzcat command? Post 302333901 by HugoH on Tuesday 14th of July 2009 09:37:58 AM
Old 07-14-2009
How to list file names instead of lines when grep a gzcat command?

Hi,

I want to list filenames instead of lines when i search in compresed files for a string.

#gzcat *.gz | grep -l 12345

gives me:

<stdin>

Anyone got a solution on this problem?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How will you list only the empty lines in a file (using grep)

How will you list only the empty lines in a file (using grep) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JosephGerard
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying file names returned from a grep command into another directory

When I do the following : grep -l "string" *, I get a list of file names returned. Is there a way to copy the files returned from the list into another directory ?. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kartheg
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to list file names in a certain date range using ls command?

Hi experts, I Need to print file names in a certain date range using ls:confused:. Please help me with any sample script. Thanks a lot in advance. Regards, Satish (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish.vutti
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzcat/grep

Hi!!! I am trying to grep a number in more then 1000 files which are .gz. Below is the code :- for i in `ls 20090618yz*_07.znf.gz` do a=`gzcat 20090618yz*_07.znf.gz | grep 9814843011` if then echo $i fi done My objective is to echo the file name also with the data. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tushar_tus
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep command to find multiple strings in multiple lines in a file.

I want to search files (basically .cc files) in /xx folder and subfolders. Those files (*.cc files) must contain #include "header.h" AND x() function. I am writing it another way to make it clear, I wanna list of *.cc files that have 'header.h' & 'x()'. They must have two strings, header.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritikaSharma
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

List of file names

I have the following list of file names stored in $fnames, so that if I do foreach f ($fnames) echo "$f" end I will get n02-z30-sr65-rgdt0p50-dc0p002-16x12drw-run1 n02-z30-sr65-rgdt0p50-dc0p002-16x12drw-run2 n02-z30-sr65-rgdt0p50-dc0p002-16x12drw-run3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting file names in GREP command

Hi friends, It gives me 3 lines in output which contain word "automation". But along with it I want the script to return file name from which it got the word. How to do it? Plz guide me Anu (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

get file names from the list

Hi Experts, Here is my scenario: Am maintaining a file which has list of logs with complete path and file names like bleow a/b/c/Daily/file1_20111012.log d/e/f/Monthly/file1_20111001.log g/h/Daily/file1_20110120.log i/Daily/file1_20110220.log How to copy the file names frm the list... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxm
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep string in files and list file names that contain the string

Hi, I have a list of zipped files. I want to grep for a string in all files and get a list of file names that contain the string. But without unzipping them before that, more like using something like gzcat. My OS is: SunOS test 5.10 Generic_142900-13 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -B used with -f? (Searching a file using a list of terms, output is lines before each match)

(1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)