Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Installed memory ≠ usable size? Post 302333791 by gustisok on Tuesday 14th of July 2009 05:13:53 AM
Old 07-14-2009
Howdy folks!

This might not relate, but:

2 Years ago I had pretty much the same problem on one of my 8 puters at home:

Ubuntu 6 or 7, 64 bit, showed only 3.5 gb visible. Tried windows with PAE switch, same stuff as with windows 64 bit. Couldn't get my 4GB...

Went to the gigabyte's site, flashed the BIOS, and bang... I've got my 4GB all nice and shiny.
(I don't recommend flashing BIOS unless it fixes stuff you are actually having problem with since many things can go wrong. If you are desperate enough, give it a try.)

Btw - as Otheus said - check the BIOS settings.
As you probably know yourself, there's bunch of stuff to configure, might be there's some for RAM speed, etc that you missed or require manual setup.
Also - check motherboard manual, might be there's some jumper that needs placing on a different spot (as with overclocking the processor in some cases - but I've never seen something like it for RAM before).
Of course - be very, very careful if you do something like that since you might actually cause harm to the hardware (you probably know this, but it should be mentioned for those who don't and might be reading this article).

If you have a non-onboard graphics card I believe that the video-memory sharing allocation is not used since onboard videocard is auto-disabled in that case.

Hope any of this helped Smilie

Cheers,
Matt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get amount of memory installed.

Hi! I'm not a UNIX fanatic but I like using it for the Oracle database since it's not stable in the Windows NT environment (what is?). Problem: Is there any command to show me the amount of installed physical-memory in the machine? Is there some other way to show the processes which uses... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elgholm
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size of Installed RAM ?

Is it possible from the command line, or by looking at one of the log files to find out the amount of RAM installed on my SCO Unix 5.05 Server? I also need to find out H/Disk size and Processor speed but I think i'll do a search of the forums for those ones. Thanks RamblasPro (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RamblasPro
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

memory size under AIX

Hi, how to know size of physical memory under AIX ? Many thanks. PS : man -k memory man : 0703-310 Fichier man introuvable. uname -a AIX server1 1 5 005202DF4C00 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

User perl to get memory installed in a machine

I currently have a statistics gathering script i run on my Linux servers. One of the stat i gather is total memory in the machine. The script is all perl with the exception of gathering the memory for that i use the following command: $ram = (`cat /proc/meminfo | grep "MemTotal" | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: insania
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Out of Memory error when free memory size is large

I was running a program and it stopped and showed "Out of Memory!". at that time, the RAM used by this process is around 4G and the free memory size of the machine is around 30G. Does anybody know what maybe the reason? this program is written with Perl. the OS of the machine is Solaris U8. And I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lilili07
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Memory or CPU size

Is there a command or file I can look at that tells me how much real memory a machine has? A little background. In my shop we run a bunch of java programs, sometimes some of these jobs have config definitions that call for 2G. I would like to know how many I can run before I exhaust rescources. Any... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting file size from memory

i want to avoid writing to a file on the disk. i'd like to do this in memory. i have a situation where i'm running cat file.txt | head -l 2024 > /tmp/data.txt now, i check the size of the data.txt by doing a "du -sh /tmp/data.txt how can i get the size of "head -l 2024" WITHOUT having to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

8. Solaris

T5220 How to determine physical memory installed?

Hi, looking to upgrade memory on a pair of T5220's from 32GB to 64GB. Cannot determine current DIMM size and slots used. i.e. not sure if Qty 16 x 2GB or Qty 8 x 4GB. If there are no empty slots, i need to go with higher density DIMMs and retire exsisting the 2GB prtdiag follows. #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: edrew
3 Replies

9. Programming

Size of memory used by a program

Hello, Here is a portion of my code: a=(int *) malloc(dim*dim*sizeof(int)); b=(int *) malloc(dim*dim*sizeof(int)); c=(int *) malloc(dim*dim*sizeof(int)); for(i=0;i<dim;i++) for(j=0;j<dim;j++) c= rand(); for(i=0;i<dim;i++) for(j=0;j<dim;j++) b=rand(); ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
6 Replies

10. AIX

Installed Memory 32GB but shows only 16GB

Hello facing this problem in VIOS installed memory shows 32GB Installed system memory: 32 GB (32768 MB) Configurable system memory: 16 GB (16384 MB) Current memory available: 2.23 GB (2288 MB) Pending memory available: 2.23 GB (2288 MB) Reserved firmware memory: 560 MB ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
8 Replies
SAVAGE(4x)																SAVAGE(4x)

NAME
savage - S3 Savage video driver SYNOPSIS
Section "Device" Identifier "devname" Driver "savage" ... EndSection DESCRIPTION
savage is an XFree86 driver for the S3 Savage family video accelerator chips. The savage driver supports PCI and AGP boards with the fol- lowing chips: Savage3D (8a20 and 8a21) Savage4(8a22) Savage2000(9102) Savage/MX (8c10 and 8c11) Savage/IX (8c12 and 8c13) ProSavage PM133(8a25) ProSavage KM133(8a26) Twister (ProSavage PN133) (8d01) TwisterK (ProSavage KN133) (8d02) ProSavage DDR(8d03) ProSavage DDR-K(8d04) CONFIGURATION DETAILS
Please refer to XF86Config(5x) for general configuration details. This section only covers configuration details specific to this driver. The following driver Options are supported: Option "HWCursor" "boolean" Option "SWCursor" "boolean" These two options interact to specify hardware or software cursor. If the SWCursor option is specified, any HWCursor setting is ignored. Thus, either "HWCursor off" or "SWCursor on" will force the use of the software cursor. On Savage/MX and Savage/IX chips which are connected to LCDs, a software cursor will be forced, because the Savage hardware cursor does not correctly track the auto- matic panel expansion feature. Default: hardware cursor. Option "NoAccel" "boolean" Disable or enable acceleration. Default: acceleration is enabled. Option "Rotate" "CW" Option "Rotate" "CCW" Rotate the desktop 90 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise. This option forces the ShadowFB option on, and disables acceleration. Default: no rotation. Option "ShadowFB" "boolean" Enable or disable use of the shadow framebuffer layer. See shadowfb(4x) for further information. This option disables accelera- tion. Default: off. Option "LCDClock" "frequency" Override the maximum dot clock. Some LCD panels produce incorrect results if they are driven at too fast of a frequency. If Use- BIOS is on, the BIOS will usually restrict the clock to the correct range. If not, it might be necessary to override it here. The frequency parameter may be specified as an integer in Hz(135750000), or with standard suffixes like "k", "kHz", "M", or "MHz" (as in 135.75MHz). Option "UseBIOS" "boolean" Enable or disable use of the video BIOS to change modes. Ordinarily, the savage driver tries to use the video BIOS to do mode switches. This generally produces the best results with the mobile chips (/MX and /IX), since the BIOS knows how to handle the critical but unusual timing requirements of the various LCD panels supported by the chip. To do this, the driver searches through the BIOS mode list, looking for the mode which most closely matches the XF86Config mode line. Some purists find this scheme objec- tionable. If you would rather have the savage driver use your mode line timing exactly, turn off the UseBios option. Default: on (use the BIOS). Option "ShadowStatus" q*boolean" Enables the use of a shadow status register. There is a chip bug in the Savage graphics engine that can cause a bus lock when read- ing the engine status register under heavy load, such as when scrolling text or dragging windows. The bug affects about 4% of all Savage users. If your system hangs regularly while scrolling text or dragging windows, try turning this option on. This uses an alternate method of reading the engine status which is slightly more expensive, but avoids the problem. Default: off (use normal status register). FILES
savage_drv.o SEE ALSO
XFree86(1), XF86Config(5x), xf86config(1), Xserver(1), X(7x) AUTHORS
Authors include Tim Roberts (timr@probo.com) and Ani Joshi (ajoshi@unixbox.com) for the 4.0 version, and Tim Roberts and S. Marineau for the 3.3 driver from which this was derived. XFree86 Version Version 4.3.0 SAVAGE(4x)