Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to set value to variable in UNIX Post 302333747 by agn on Tuesday 14th of July 2009 03:06:11 AM
Old 07-14-2009
Is $a and/or $b defined ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where to set the LANG variable

When I login to my AIX server, the LANG variable is automatically being set to En_US. This is causing locale warning messages when I run emacs or perl. The reason seems to be that En_US is not a valid locale (seen by running locale -a). I can change the variable from the command line (export... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wvdeijk
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Export command giving Variable Name vs the Value set for the Variable

I'm having an issue when I export within my program. I'm getting the variable name, not the variable value. I have a configuration file (config.txt) that has the values of the variables set as so: set -a export ARCHIVEPOSourceDir="/interfaces/po/log /interfaces/po/data" export... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ParNone
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

set variable with another variable? c shell

okay, this shouldn't be difficult but I can't figure it out. How can I set a variable with another variable. I have the following: foreach pe ($dir $sp) set tpe = `echo $pe | grep M` if ($tpe == M) then set ${$pe} = M <--- This doesn't work else endif end In this case what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxornot
2 Replies

4. Solaris

set environment variable?

I am working with solaris 9 sunBlade150 Box. I Installed a program, need to set the environment variable so that when the executable is entered,it finds the path to the executable. The documentation for the software says: Set the appropriate environment variable: Connect to server failed;... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set a variable that changes every time?

Do not know how to do this, any help would be appreciated: I have a file that comes in called xxxx.txt. I have a script that does some messing around with the file. The file needs to go out as PAB108XXXX.csv The four x's above will be a number that changes everytime the script is ran e.g.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

set variable in while loop?

Dear All, Can anyone advise why this script isn't run as expected? =========================== status=0 cat /etc/passwd | while read line; do status=1 done echo $status =========================== it always return 0 , but not 1. why? anything wrong? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

What is the use of command set -- and set - variable?

Hi, I am using hp unix i want to know the use of the following commands set -- set - variable thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomathi
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to know who and where a variable is set ?

hi, i'm not a root user and i want to know which user and in which file is loaded a variable seen in the "env" display ? I will use this variable but i want to be sure that it will be a permanent variable ! i don't see it in my files (.profile , kshrc...) and neither in /etc/profile. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nicol
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

do you have a better way to set this variable?

greetings, i have a variable $input that i want to use to set $output. $input is /dir/filename.mph and $input is passed to my script that i manipulate it as follows: input=`basename $input`i want the $output to be filename_solved.mph, basically stuffing "_solved" in the filename. here's how i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
2 Replies

10. Linux

Use read to set a variable.

Hi all, I used to set variable by read from keyboard read -p 'Input new value for variable :' var Now I want to pipe from ls and set to var a.txt b.txt c.txt ls | grep a.txt | read var why this cannot set the $var. What is the different between them....:wall: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mainsun
4 Replies
XSTDCMAP(1)						      General Commands Manual						       XSTDCMAP(1)

NAME
xstdcmap - X standard colormap utility SYNOPSIS
xstdcmap [-all] [-best] [-blue] [-default] [-delete map] [-display display] [-gray] [-green] [-help] [-red] [-verbose] DESCRIPTION
The xstdcmap utility can be used to selectively define standard colormap properties. It is intended to be run from a user's X startup script to create standard colormap definitions in order to facilitate sharing of scarce colormap resources among clients. Where at all possible, colormaps are created with read-only allocations. OPTIONS
The following options may be used with xstdcmap: -all This option indicates that all six standard colormap properties should be defined on each screen of the display. Not all screens will support visuals under which all six standard colormap properties are meaningful. xstdcmap will determine the best allocations and visuals for the colormap properties of a screen. Any previously existing standard colormap properties will be replaced. -best This option indicates that the RGB_BEST_MAP should be defined. -blue This option indicates that the RGB_BLUE_MAP should be defined. -default This option indicates that the RGB_DEFAULT_MAP should be defined. -delete map This option specifies that a specific standard colormap property, or all such properties, should be removed. map may be one of: default, best, red, green, blue, gray, or all. -display display This option specifies the host and display to use; see X(7). -gray This option indicates that the RGB_GRAY_MAP should be defined. -green This option indicates that the RGB_GREEN_MAP should be defined. -help This option indicates that a brief description of the command line arguments should be printed on the standard error. This will be done whenever an unhandled argument is given to xstdcmap. -red This option indicates that the RGB_RED_MAP should be defined. -verbose This option indicates that xstdcmap should print logging information as it parses its input and defines the standard colormap prop- erties. ENVIRONMENT
DISPLAY to get default host and display number. SEE ALSO
X(7) AUTHOR
Donna Converse, MIT X Consortium X Version 11 xstdcmap 1.0.2 XSTDCMAP(1)