Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to capture PID for a child script Post 302333725 by aman jain on Tuesday 14th of July 2009 02:16:08 AM
Old 07-14-2009
how to capture PID for a child script

thanks for your response. But i found what i was looking for.
by $! we can capture the pid for the processes ran in background.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to kill all child process for a given PID

Is there any build in command in unix to kill all the child process for a given process ID ? If any one has script or command, please let me know. Thanks Sanjay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
4 Replies

2. Programming

Child Process PID

Hi, Can anybody solve this query? A parent process forks 2 child processes. How does the child process know it's PID without the parent process sending it. Apart from the "ps-ef" option, what other options are there if any? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skannan
2 Replies

3. Programming

printing ppid,child pid,pid

question: for the below program i just printed the value for pid, child pid and parent pid why does it give me 6 values? i assume ppid is 28086 but can't figure out why there are 5 values printed instead of just two! can someone comment on that! #include<stdio.h> #define DIM 8 int... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

In ksh, how does an in-line child sub-process get its own PID?

This is not the same as a few of the other posted items dealing with sub-process pids (that I saw anyway). If zot contains: echo "main mypid: $$ - lastpid: $!" ( echo "block mypid: $$ - lastpid: $! - ppid: $PPID" ps -ef > xxx sleep 5 echo "block mypid: $$ - lastpid: $! - ppid:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MichLab
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

child pid in ZSH

I am using ZSH shell in Linux. I am calling a child program in background mode parallely (say 2-3 threads). I have problem in handling the temporary files of these child programs since the temp file names are unique for all the child process. To distinguish i want to use the pid in the temp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhams
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PID Capture and Return Codes

I have a process that copies files from a main storage server to main other servers. We are attempting to speed up the processing and have thought that the best method would be to use concurrent file copying. What was suggested is that we change from using a simple RCP and waiting for it to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dorrellg
3 Replies

7. Programming

How to capture messages from child process?

Hi all, I'm new in programming, but want to start writing a simple GUI for linux console application,say, wget.(for educational purpose :) ). The question is: how to start child process from C++ code and then start capture messages from its stdout? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vahagn_iv
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Listing all child pid and deleting it in reverse order

Hi , My problem is that I am not able to list all process id of any process. If you see pstree command it shows many process id under https. But if I run ps command its not listing all the process id for httpd. It is just listing the PPID and immediate child process id only. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratapsingh
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture exit code of child script and send it to parent script?

#!/usr/local/bin/bash set -vx /prod/HotelierLinks/palaceLink/bin/PalacefilesWait /prod/HotelierLinks/palaceLink/bin/prodEnvSetup 03212013 & if then echo "fatal error: Palace/HardRock failed!!!!" 1>&2 echo "Palace Failed" | mail -s "Link Failed at Palace/HardRock" -c... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting child process id for a given PID

HI Am trying to get child process id for a PID using ksh.. ps -ef | grep xntpd root 3342472 2228308 0 12:17:40 - 0:00 /usr/sbin/xntpd root 4522024 6488316 0 12:18:56 pts/0 0:00 grep xntpd root 6291614 3342472 0 12:17:40 - 0:00 /usr/sbin/xntpd Here now i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
1 Replies
SCREENCAPTURE(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  SCREENCAPTURE(1)

NAME
screencapture -- capture images from the screen and save them to a file or the clipboard SYNOPSIS
screencapture [-SWCTMPcimswxto] file DESCRIPTION
The screencapture utility is not very well documented to date. A list of options follows. -c Force screen capture to go to the clipboard. -b Capture Touch Bar, only works in non-interactive modes. -C Capture the cursor as well as the screen. Only allowed in non-interactive modes. -d Display errors to the user graphically. -i Capture screen interactively, by selection or window. The control key will cause the screen shot to go to the clipboard. The space key will toggle between mouse selection and window selection modes. The escape key will cancel the interactive screen shot. -m Only capture the main monitor, undefined if -i is set. -D <display> Screen capture or record from the display specified. 1 is main, 2 secondary, etc -o In window capture mode, do not capture the shadow of the window. -p Screen capture will use the default settings for capture. The files argument will be ignored. -M Open the taken picture in a new Mail message. -P Open the taken picture in a Preview window or QuickTime Player if video. -I Open the taken picture in Mesages. -B <bundleid> Open in the app matching bundleid. -s Only allow mouse selection mode. -S In window capture mode, capture the screen instead of the window. -J <style> Sets the starting style of interfactive capture "selection","window","video". -t <format> Image format to create, default is png (other options include pdf, jpg, tiff and other formats). -T <seconds> Take the picture after a delay of <seconds>, default is 5. -w Only allow window selection mode. -W Start interaction in window selection mode. -x Do not play sounds. -a Do not capture attached windows. -r Do not add screen dpi meta data to captured file. -l <windowid> Captures the window with windowid. -R <rectangle> Capture rectangle using format x,y,width,height. -v Capture video recording of the screen. -V <seconds> Capture video recording of the screen for the specified seconds. -A <id> Captures audio during a video recording using default input. Optionally pass id of the audio source. -k Show clicks in video recordings. -U Show interactive toolbar in interactive mode. -u Present UI after screencapture is complete. Files passed to commandline will be ignored. files where to save the screen capture, 1 file per screen BUGS
Better documentation is needed for this utility. SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
To capture screen content while logged in via ssh, you must launch screencapture in the same mach bootstrap hierarchy as loginwindow: PID=pid of loginwindow sudo launchctl bsexec $PID screencapture [options] HISTORY
A screencapture utility first appeared in Mac OS X v10.2. Mac OS June 16, 2004 Mac OS