Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed: replace string with another string (with spaces) Post 302333652 by TonyFullerMalv on Monday 13th of July 2009 05:45:29 PM
Old 07-13-2009
Code:
sed -e 's/XABCD/This is the first string/g' -e 's/XEFGHX/This is the second string/g' -e 's/XIJKLX//This is the third string/g' XMLFILE > XMLFILE.$$ && \
cp XMLFILE.$$ XMLFILE && \
rm XMLFILE.$$

would do the trick but would get cumbersome if you had say 99 different strings you wanted to substitute, I'm sure a scripting guru my come up with something more elegant!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed matching <tag1> newline spaces <tag2> and replace the value in the same string format

Hi, I'm very new to shell scripting and have searched google and this forum for quite some time now. I have the following in my xml file: <recipients> <member>value1</member> </recipients> I need to find a string <recipients> that follows with a new-line and bunch of spaces and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgharios
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replace that has spaces

cat rf|nawk '/Use SSL= 0/{n+=1}{if (n==3){sub("Use SSL= 0","Use SSL= 0x1",$0)};print }' > rf2Fails. sed 's/Use SSL= 0/Use SSL= 0x1/g' rf > rf2Fails. In addition, the goal is to ONLY replace the 2nd occurence of the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfransix
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find and replace a string with spaces and / recursively?

Hi all, I wanted to find and replace an email id from entire directory structure on a Linux server. I found that find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 sed -i 's/abc@yahoo.com/xyz@gmail.com/g' would do it perfectly. But my search criteria has extended and now I want to search for a string1 like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pat_pramod
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in XML file with awk/sed with string from another

Sorry for the long/weird title but I'm stuck on a problem I have. I have this XML file: </member> <member> <name>TransactionID</name> <value><string>123456789123456</string></value> </member> <member> <name>Number</name> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cozzin
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I replace a string in file that is in a certain position with spaces?

I am trying to replace the string in position 26 through 35 of the data file with 10 spaces and I want the remaining file to stay as is, the record length is over 900 characters? I am trying to use the AWK and substr but I am not getting it formatted correctly. Before... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnwine1500
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
GURU(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   GURU(8)

NAME
guru - System administration SYNOPSIS
guru [ -e program ] [ -f ] [ -p target ] DESCRIPTION
guru is a sophisticated program synthesis and system maintenance tool developed after midnight in numerous university computing labs. It is based on the famous LISP Hacker system, used to develop AI programs on TENEX. guru reads a problem description from the standard input. An innovative and occasionally correct solution is generated and written to the standard output. Typically, guru is invoked repeatedly until an acceptable solution is generated or the user community has learned to live with the problem. The bugreport mechanism sometimes invokes guru. In this case guru executes at a priority inversely proportional to the reported urgency of the bug. Feature enhancements run at high priority whereas critical problems are fixed only when the machine would otherwise be idle. If the standard input is empty, guru uses its program synthesis capabilities to generate a selection of screen editors, X widgets, compil- ers, sundry games and the occasional diatribe. OPTIONS
-e program New features are added to an existing program. This option should be used with caution as the enhanced program may behave unpre- dictably or not at all. -f Reconstructs filesystems after a crash. -p target Ports the entire system on which guru is executing to target, preferably a RISC machine. This is an extremely time consuming oper- ation and is not guaranteed to terminate. If more than one option is specified, guru may thrash. Each copy of guru has its own set of unique, additional and undocumented options. SEE ALSO
YAPS: Yet another Program Synthesiser by S C Johnson. NOTES
Inherent design limitations prevent guru from synthesising comments. The programs generated are undocumented. The lucidity, politeness, relevance and language of the occasional diatribe vary considerably. The only diagnostic is an occasional ``I deserve a raise'' - which may be ignored albeit doing so may provoke ``I resign'' - an unrecover- able error. Sending the output of one guru into another can produce quite startling results. UNIX Programmer's Manual GURU(8)