Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with Bash script - set, awk Post 302333604 by Franklin52 on Monday 13th of July 2009 01:08:00 PM
Old 07-13-2009
I don't know what's wrong, the code seems to be correct, post a part of the original file and the desired output within code tags.

Regards

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash variable (set via awk+sed) not working as expected

Hi! Been working on a script and I've been having a problem. I've finally narrowed it down to this variable I'm setting: servername=$(awk -v FS=\/ '{ print $7 } blah.txt | sed 's\/./-/g' | awk -v FS=\- '{print $1}')" This will essentially pare down a line like this: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: creativedynamo
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK in a bash script

So I am a newbie obviously but I need some help. I am trying to run a script to check that the number of fields in a database is equal to 4, if not they should try again and run an appropriate database file. The fields are separated by a semi colon. I've tried a lot of things, this what I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mb001
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help: How to convert this bash+awk script in awk script only?

This is the final first release of the dynamic menu generator for pekwm (WM). #!/bin/bash function param_val { awk "/^${1}=/{gsub(/^${1}="'/,""); print; exit}' $2 } echo "Dynamic {" for CF in `ls -c1 /usr/share/applications/*.desktop` do name=$(param_val Name $CF) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexscript
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK/Bash script

I would like to write a script to extend this command to a general case: BEGIN {s_0=0;n_0=0}{n_0++;s_0+=($51-$1)^2}END {print sqrt(s_0/n_0)} i.e. so that BEGIN {s_0=0;n_0=0}{n_0++;s_0+=($51-$1)^2}END {print sqrt(s_0/n_0)} BEGIN {s_1=0;n_1=0}{n_1++;s_1+=($51-$2)^2}END {print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to filter the numbers which are around the set value

Hi All, I have one sensor output(over the same) for a set value of 20. Time(in Sec), Data 1, 16 2, 20 3, 24 4, 22 5, 21 6, 20 7, 19.5 8, 20 9, 20.5 10, 20 11, 20 12, 19.5 Here we can see like after 5 sec of time the data value reaches to 20+-0.5 range. So I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script set command to a variable

Hi, Will following set up work in bash script? I've got errors if assigning following binary command to a variable. But on the other hand, COMMAND="ls" works. Any explanation please? How can I assign binary command to a variable COMMAND then I can just call ${COMMAND}? COMMAND="rsync"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with shell script to search and replace a set of strings among the set of files

Hi, I am looking for a shell script which serves the below purpose. Please find below the algorithm for the same and any help on this would be highly appreciated. 1)set of strings need to be replaced among set of files(directory may contain different types of files) 2)It should search for... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amulya
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash/awk script problem

Hi, I have 100 files containing different values in single column, I want to split those files in two separate files (file2 and file3) based on average value of first column of each file, for those files I am working on the following script #bin/bash for memb in $(seq 1 100) do awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsp80
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Set password in bash script without manual entry-Solaris 10

Hi I have a root script which is setting up user and his dirs and so on. After I create user and set up all the necessary I have to manually set user password. I try all possible ways what google find me and nothing works for me. If maybe one of you have a solution for my problem it will be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jaffakeks
1 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)