Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat userid with nothing to do on the os/app Post 302333574 by mark54g on Monday 13th of July 2009 12:05:10 PM
Old 07-13-2009
apache is the user for the web server.

Not to offend you, but if you are not familiar enough with user ids and applications, do not delete things. As well, you do not delete user IDs you remove the user and their files. Otherwise, you open yourself up to security issues by leaving users on the system, regardless of their home directories.

I would recommend that you, as root, run this command, to find out what package a file comes from:

rpm -qf <filename>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

validating userid

What's wrong with this syntax? It's part of my 'if' statement but it doesn't seem to pass and it keeps going to the 'else' part. I thought it says that userid must start with a non-numeric character and is between 6 and 10 characters long (alphanumeric). $userid|grep -Eq '^?\{6,10\}+$' if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

date and userid

Hi I am trying to write a script to check the log files for the trancactions based on usr input date and user input user id. I will take the user input userid and user input date and check there are any creation deletion happened, if so mail it other wise say no transactions; I got user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gundu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

userid

I would like to know the difference between the real user-id and the effective user-id. If user-A runs a program owned by user-B then which is the real user-id and which is the effective user-id ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sundaresh
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

userid access only to a particular service

Hi All, How do I make a userid access only a particular service like sftp? My linux is redhat ent 4. Thanks in advance for any advise. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the command to get name associated with userid?

Hi, 1#what is the command to get name associated with userid? 2#I am using unix on Mainframes thru OMVS. So any one know to to capture TSO command output to a variable on OMVS environment. I tried with below script, but its not working! #!/bin/ksh output=$(tso whois PA1234) echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant43
6 Replies

6. Solaris

See who is logging in with a userid

Hi all. Quick question. How can I tell if someone is logging in to our unix servers with an application id and not their personal id? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read userid and password

Am reading userid and password. code: pmsg "Enter the userid \n" read userid pmsg "Enter password \n" read password pmsg "Enter Database name \n" read database When user type password, it a clear text. I want something like ******** or just a blank any suggestion plz... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilugopal
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

userid and pw

questions: a. where can I customized the password of userid in solaris? say I wanted 10digits long, all caps? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

new userid with limited access

Hi, I want to create a user using useradd -m test. But my requirement is he should not change his directory from Home directory. How can I restric the user not to change his directory from his home dir? Thanks, Suresh Double Post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
0 Replies

10. Programming

Wuhan Coronavirus Status App for China - Rapid Prototype using MQTT and the IoT OnOff IOS App

With a little bit of work, was able to build a nice "Wuhan Coronavirus Status" app using MQTT and the IoT-OnOff app. More on this technique here: ESP32 (ESP-WROOM-32) as an MQTT Client Subscribed to Linux Server Load Average Messages The result turned out nice, I think. I like the look and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
10 Replies
MUPDATETEST(1)						      General Commands Manual						    MUPDATETEST(1)

NAME
mupdatetest - interactive MUPDATE test program SYNOPSIS
mupdatetest [ -p port ] [ -m mechanism ] [ -a userid ] [ -u userid ] [ -k num ] [ -l num ] [ -r realm ] [ -f file ] [ -n num ] [ -q ] [ -c ] [ -i ] [ -o option=value ] [ -v ] hostname DESCRIPTION
mupdatetest is a utility that allows you to authenticate to a MUPDATE server and interactively issue commands to it. Once authenticated you may issue any MUPDATE command by simply typing it in. It is capable of multiple SASL authentication mechanisms and handles encryption lay- ers transparently. This utility is often used for testing the operation of a mupdate server. Note that you must be an admin in order to authenticate to an mupdate server. OPTIONS
-p port Port to connect to. If left off this defaults to mupdate as defined in /etc/services. -m mechanism Force mupdatetest to use mechanism for authentication. If not specified the strongest authentication mechanism supported by the server is chosen. -a userid Userid to use for authentication; defaults to the current user. This is the userid whose password or credentials will be presented to the server for verification. -u userid Userid to use for authorization; defaults to the current user. This is the userid whose identity will be assumed after authentica- tion. NOTE: This is only used with SASL mechanisms that allow proxying (e.g. PLAIN, DIGEST-MD5). -k num Minimum protection layer required. -l num Maximum protection layer to use (0=none; 1=integrity; etc). For example if you are using the KERBEROS_V4 authentication mechanism specifying 0 will force mupdatetest to not use any layer and specifying 1 will force it to use the integrity layer. By default the maximum supported protection layer will be used. -r realm Specify the realm to use. Certain authentication mechanisms (e.g. DIGEST-MD5) may require one to specify the realm. -f file Pipe file into connection after authentication. -n num Number of authentication attempts; default = 1. The client will attempt to fast reauth (e.g. DIGEST-MD5), if possible. -q Enable MUPDATE COMPRESSion (before the last authentication attempt). -c Enable challenge prompt callbacks. This will cause the OTP mechanism to ask for the the one-time password instead of the secret pass-phrase (library generates the correct response). -i Don't send an initial client response for SASL mechanisms, even if the protocol supports it. -o option=value Set the SASL option to value. -v Verbose. Print out more information than usual. SEE ALSO
mupdate(8) CMU
Project Cyrus MUPDATETEST(1)