Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Change the Block size of AIX 6.1 Post 302333368 by shipon_97 on Sunday 12th of July 2009 10:33:13 PM
Old 07-12-2009
Block size of AIX 6.1

Thx bakunin for your kind reply ... ...

Actually I want to increase both :

1) File system block size , and
2) The memory page size

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to change the tab size in vi?

the default size is 8. i found it's too big. how can i change the tab size in vi? is it a good idea to change it at all? thks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusla
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File system size change

Good morning folks! I'm new here.. trying to find an answer on how to resize filesystem. Need to add some space to c0t0d0s5, /var... Is it possible at all? JV (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvinn
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to change size of command line in unix

Hi, I'm trying to execute my program from $prompt by passing many parameters which is more than 300 charecters in line but unix not accepting those many charecters, could some one help me how to increase the size? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

change the font size in bash

Hi, I would like to change the font size in bash. I know how do it in ksh: F_VDOBLE="\033#6" print "${F_VDOBLE}Esto es..." But in bash I don't know Could you help me please? Many thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mierdatuti
5 Replies

5. AIX

How to trace file sytem size change?

I need write a script to trace filesystem size change, such as /home will increase some size and then release some space. I don't know when increase happen. I want to get the size before increase and the size after release. How to write this script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Installing Solaris 8 + cant change filesystem size

Installing Solaris 8 on Ultra Enterprise 450. No option to increase default filesystem sizes. Tried partitioning the disk before running install, but install goes back to small root fs default. ? ... Also ... how do i image-copy this disk onto a spare that I have ( before I break the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthonyvbyrne
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Physical disk IO size smaller than fragment block filesystem size ?

Hello, in one default UFS filesystem we have 8K block size (bsize) and 1K fragmentsize (fsize). At this scenary I thought all "FileSytem IO" will be 8K (or greater) but never smaller than the fragment size (1K). If a UFS fragment/blocksize is allwasy several ADJACENTS sectors on disk (in a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rarino2
4 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Change tab size to 4

forum members, gvim version 6.0.150.0 Vi has been my favorite editor for over 30 years. Mostly with Unix but now with windows XP. It works fine but I want to change the tab to 4 spaces instead of 8. I read on the internet that I can edit the .vimrc file but I only have an _vimrc... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerryd
12 Replies

9. HP-UX

About Block Size and Fragment Size

Accordingly a lot of manuals - if you have block size 8KB and trying to write a 1KB file to the block, as result you waste 7KB of the block space. But recently I noticed about Fragments of File Block. In same case if you have File Block 8KB and Fragment size 1KB - you can save your block space,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change size of watermark

I'm using this code to watermark images (add a logo). How do I change the size of the watermark to cover a certain percentage of the image ffmpeg -i folder/s886_01.jpg -i watermark.png -filter_complex overlay=15:15 output.png (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies
base_pagesize(5)						File Formats Manual						  base_pagesize(5)

NAME
base_pagesize - size (in kilobytes) of a base page VALUES
Default Allowed values DESCRIPTION
A base page is the smallest block of physical memory that can be allocated for storing data and code by the HP-UX kernel. Base pages are also the smallest unit of memory protection. The kernel maintains a number of tables, each of which has one entry for each base page. In large-memory systems, this can result in a significant amount of physical memory being consumed by these tables. When a larger base page size is selected, fewer entries are required, and therefore more physical memory becomes available for other uses. Who is Expected to Change This Tunable? The system administrator who wants to change the size of a base page. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable require a reboot to take effect. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? To decrease the amount of memory consumed by kernel memory management tables. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? Programs with small text and/or data segments will consume more memory that they would otherwise. This is because at least one base page is allocated for each of these segments. Memory fragmentation may also increase, which can lead to lower performance. The value returned by the and system calls will reflect the base_pagesize setting of the currently running kernel. Applications which make assumptions about the size of a base page, and do not call either or to obtain this value, may fail in unpredictable ways. See the white paper referenced below for more details. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? To reverse a situation in which the larger base page size has lowered performance or introduced application misbehavior. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? Kernel memory consumption will increase, due to larger tables being required to manage physical memory. The larger tables may also result in lower performance in configurations which use large virtual pages aggressively. What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time? Changes to and should be considered. CONFIGURATION RESTRICTIONS
The HFS filesystem does not support configurations where the HFS block size is smaller than the system base page size. Misconfigured HFS filesystems will cause the command to fail. There are two ways to avoid this problem: 1. Use only VxFS filesystems (the preferred solution). 2. Make your HFS filesystems with It is strongly recommended that systems configured with non-default settings of the tunable use only the VxFS filesytem to avoid problems with HFS. WARNINGS
Setting this tunable to other than the default can increase application and system performance. However, it can also cause some applica- tions to fail. It is important to understand the tradeoffs described in the white paper before changing this tunable. All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
vps_pagesize(5), vps_ceiling(5). There are more details in the white paper entitled located at Tunable Kernel Parameters base_pagesize(5)