Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use loop var i within Cut Command Post 302332649 by TonyFullerMalv on Thursday 9th of July 2009 05:49:37 PM
Old 07-09-2009
This seems to work:
Code:
permissions="rwxr-x---"
for i in {1..9}
do
  echo i = $i       
  theChar=$(echo "$permissions" | cut -c$i)
  echo theChar = $theChar
done

Code:
$ bash ./arraytest.sh
i = 1
theChar = r
i = 2
theChar = w
i = 3
theChar = x
i = 4
theChar = r
i = 5
theChar = -
i = 6
theChar = x
i = 7
theChar = -
i = 8
theChar = -
i = 9
theChar = -
$

Also I presume that:
charArray[i]
should be
charArray[$i]
?

Not that I have got any of that part of the code working..

http://unstableme.blogspot.com/2008/...sh-script.html looks helpful on using arrays in shells scripting.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing space delimited line in var with loop?

I have a script that converts a file into an html table. This script works fine for a 1 column table. However, I'm trying to do this for a multi-column table. My input file will look something like this: a b c d e f g h i My script basically works by taking in each line and putting that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop inc a var help please

OK guys I think this is an easy one but i am having a bit of trouble getting a while loop I have to do what I want. I need it to increment a number 1 - 99 but I need it to use 2 digits. So not 1,2,3,4,5...99 but 01,02,03,04,05,06,07...10,11,12,...99. Always using 2 digits. I tried this: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisAdmin
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut not working in a loop

I have a function "MyPrint" that runs great on a file (BaseData.txt) that has one line of data. If i add rows to the text file it's reading the tFile variable becomes a list of every field 2 in the file. To correct this, i tried to call the function from a loop where i read one line at a time and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KME
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in getting data from a loop using grep and cut

The script is following : for each_rec in <file_name> do count=`cut -c -2 ${each_rec} | grep "45"` echo ${count} if ] then amount=`cut -c 24-35 ${each_rec}` echo ${amount} else echo "failed" fi done And the file looks like below : ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a loop with cut

I don't know if I described this right, but I am new to scripting and this is giving me a little bit of trouble, but I will explain what I am trying to do. Each time this is run, I want it to grab and save ls -l /home to data.txt. ls -l /home > data.txt Now the part I am getting confused... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjafish
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut command not working in for loop

grep -Fxvf testdata.xls file_GTDA1.xls >file_GTDA.xls SLS_COUNT=`grep 'GTDA_Dly_Sls' file_GTDA.xls |wc -l` PMIX_COUNT=`grep 'GTDA_Dly_Pmix' file_GTDA.xls |wc -l` if ; then var1=`cat file_GTDA.xls|grep 'GTDA_Dly_Sls_'` var4="|" for i in $var1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: renuk
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cut command: can't make it cut fields

I'm a complete beginner in UNIX (and not a computer science student either), just undergoing a tutoring course. Trying to replicate the instructions on my own I directed output of the ls listing command (lists all files of my home directory ) to My_dir.tsv file (see the screenshot) to make use of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

CUT command not giving correct result inside loop

Hi, i have a source file and have 3 columns and separated by "|" .i want to split this 3 columns in different variable.When i am executing this values indivisually giving correct result but when the same execute inside a for loop,it's giving issues. Src file(jjj.txt) -------... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
8 Replies
mfontset_lookup(3m17n)						 The m17n Library					    mfontset_lookup(3m17n)

NAME
mfontset_lookup - Lookup a fontset. SYNOPSIS
MPlist * mfontset_lookup (MFontset * fontset, MSymbol script, MSymbol language, MSymbol charset) DESCRIPTION
Lookup a fontset. The mfontset_lookup() function lookups fontset and returns a plist that describes the contents of fontset corresponding to the specified script, language, and charset. If script is Mt, keys of the returned plist are script name symbols for which some fonts are specified and values are NULL. If script is a script name symbol, the returned plist is decided by language. o If language is Mt, keys of the plist are language name symbols for which some fonts are specified and values are NULL. A key may be Mt which means some fallback fonts are specified for the script. o If language is a language name symbol, the plist is a FONT-GROUP for the specified script and language. FONT-GROUP is a plist whose keys are FLT (FontLayoutTable) name symbols (Mt if no FLT is associated with the font) and values are pointers to MFont. o If language is Mnil, the plist is fallback FONT-GROUP for the script. If script is Mnil, the returned plist is decided as below. o If charset is Mt, keys of the returned plist are charset name symbols for which some fonts are specified and values are NULL. o If charset is a charset name symbol, the plist is a FONT-GROUP for the charset. o If charset is Mnil, the plist is a fallback FONT-GROUP. RETURN VALUE
It returns a plist describing the contents of a fontset. The plist should be freed by m17n_object_unref(). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001 Information-technology Promotion Agency (IPA) Copyright (C) 2001-2011 National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html>. Version 1.6.2 12 Jan 2011 mfontset_lookup(3m17n)