Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Server Shutdown Problem
Operating Systems Solaris Server Shutdown Problem Post 302332594 by frank_rizzo on Thursday 9th of July 2009 02:33:29 PM
Old 07-09-2009
sounds like your root file system is corrupt or the disk is bad. is this mirrored? do you have a backup? are you able to check /var/adm/messages ? can you boot off a cd or the network and check the file systems and or hardware?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Server shutdown Troubleshooting

SCO Unixware 7.1.1 Hi friends, At 11:30pm last night mymain Unix Server hung or rebooted (Unaware which one), and was bot available for 10 minutes. Is there a log file somewhere which will tell me what happened ? I have looked ad /var/adm/syslog, but cannot make head nor tail of it. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shutdown a unix server

Hi, how to shutdown a unix machine ? We are on SunOS server15.8 Generic_108528-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mysterious Server Shutdown

Virtually no UNIX admin experience. Any admin duties are shared by several folks with no special training. Today we had our Sun v880 server, running Solaris 5.8, shutdown for no apparent reason. When we checked on server we found it completely powered down, yet still connected to a fully... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: buechler66
6 Replies

4. AIX

server is getting shutdown

Hi Guys, Please help in this...when we start HACMP services ..server is getting shutdon. Error mesg from cluster.log. Apr 14 08:43:27 bascop17 snmpd: NOTICE: SMUX trap: (0 0) (127.0.0.1+46302+1) Apr 14 08:43:33 bascop17 topsvcs: (Recorded using libct_ffdc.a cv 2):::Error ID:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b_manu78
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

RHEL 4 U5 - Server immediate shutdown

Dear all, My server has shutdown frequently. It is AMD64, OS is RHEL 4 U5. I've seen the system log, before the shutdown occured: Jul 29 04:28:56 localhost kernel: EDAC k8 MC0: general bus error: participating processor(local node response), time-out(no timeout) memory transaction... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Startup and shutdown a server

Are rc scripts executed serially or all at the same time. Is there a way to see this happen? A log file or the syslogd? This is Solaris 10. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shutdown the Linux server if no one is using the server

Hi All, I want to shutdown the server if no one is actualy using it. Its a linux server. I thought of sending a msg on users terminal for those who all are logged in and expecting a input from them. If they will reply system should not get shutdown else it should not. Can any one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sadhana
2 Replies

8. AIX

Server Shutdown

Hi, is it possible to find out ip address of user who has shutdown or rebooted the server , I have used the command errpt -a , in that it is showing server rebooted but it is not showing ip address who has shutdown the serve, even I have used command last reboot. Please suggest. Regards, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Server shutdown based on temperature

Working with a T5240/Solaris 10 and trying to figure out if there is a setting that will automatically shutdown the server if it hits a certain temperature. I'm just trying to identify if there is a setting in place and what that temperature is... Any help is much appreciated! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ojgraham
5 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shutdown server when network inactive

I was referring script to shutdown server from local interface ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-2017336.html. This is scheduled in CRON. It will run every 20 minutes and check for inactivity. It compares the RX and TX packets from 20 minutes ago to detect if they significantly increased. If... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaymp
0 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)