Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to kill processes that are older than 3 days Post 302332426 by dennis.jacob on Thursday 9th of July 2009 05:45:14 AM
Old 07-09-2009
There are no on-the-fly commands to do this:

We can go with a logic as ... if a pid is older than 24 hrs, it will be displayed in Mon hr format..

eg: Jun 09

Try the below snippet to take only those pids which are older than 24 hrs. You can put in your logic on top of the snippet given below to look for pids older than "n" days

ps -ef| sed '/\([JFMAMSOND][aepuco][nbrylgptvc] [0-9][0-9]\)/!d' | awk '{ print $2" "$5":"$6; }'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

List directory 7 days older

Say folder archive/ contains many folder each created on a day. this folder may contain files. i want to write a script to delete all the folder inside archive/ which are 7 days older. i used the below script for the reason. find archive -mtime +7 -type d -exec rm -r {} \; pls suggest me if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnarao
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting files older than 7 days

Hi Guys, I want to delete folder/files older than 7 days. Im using the command below. find /test/test1 -mtime +7 -print0 | xargs -0 rm -Rf /test/test1/* which works ok, but it deletes the test1 folder as well which i dont want. The test1 folder will have a list of sub-folders which in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shezam
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Copying files older then 2 days

Hi everyone :) I have a little question here, at my work, we have a system running Solaris 10 - with an attached EMC SAN, the SAN is running out of space, and we are moveing the data to a new EVA SAN. The problem here is, that there are over 35.000.000 files on the system, and constantly 30... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skovsen
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Delete files older than 30 days

Hi all, I want to delete log files with extension .log which are older than 30 days. How to delete those files? Operating system -- Sun solaris 10 Your input is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Regards, Williams (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: William1482
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find files older than 30 days

Dear Friends, I have two queries. 1) I want to see the list of folders which were created 29 days ago. 2) I want to see the folders in which last created file is older than 29 days. Can it be done? Thank you in advance Anushree (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
4 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Find files older than 10 days

What command arguments I can use in unix to list files older than 10 days in my current directory, but I don't want to list the hidden files. find . -type f -mtime +15 -print will work but, it is listing all the hidden files., which I don't want. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Files older than 50 days

Hi All, OS :- HP-UX wm5qa B.11.23 U ia64 1119805695 unlimited-user license I need to search files older than 50 days. I've used following command in order to search desired files, I also discoverd, it's showing today's files as well. Do you have any clue with this ? wmqa1> find .... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok.behria
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size of files which are older than x days

Hi I want to find the total space used by the files which are older than x days find ./ -type f -mtime +x-days -name "G00*" -exec du {} \; | awk '{total+=$1}END{print "TOTAL" total}' Total prints as 17.20 MB ( total / 1024*2 ) But actual size of it will be around 18.5 GB... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

listing processes older than n days

Hello; trying to find processes older than n days, mostly user shells Tried the following code on 11.31 box: in this case older than 5 days UNIX95= ps -ef -o user,pid,ppid,cpu,etime,stime | grep "-" | awk '{print $2}' | xargs ps -ef|grep -v '?' |\ awk '$5 !~ ""' | awk '($5 ~ "$(date "+%b")")... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines older than 30 days

Hi Experts/Gurus, Is there a way to remove lines in a file that are older than x days (i.e. 30 days) based on the date stamp in the first column? Example. $ date Sat Jan 11 14:12:06 EDT 2014 $cat sample.txt 10-10-2013 09:00:01 AM|Line test 1234567 16-10-2013 08:30:00 AM|Line test... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: brichigo
6 Replies
KILLALL(1)							   User Commands							KILLALL(1)

NAME
killall - kill processes by name SYNOPSIS
killall [-Z, --context pattern] [-e, --exact] [-g, --process-group] [-i, --interactive] [-n, --ns PID] [-o, --older-than TIME] [-q, --quiet] [-r, --regexp] [-s, --signal SIGNAL, -SIGNAL] [-u, --user user] [-v, --verbose] [-w, --wait] [-y, --younger-than TIME] [-I, --ignore-case] [-V, --version] [--] name ... killall -l killall -V, --version DESCRIPTION
killall sends a signal to all processes running any of the specified commands. If no signal name is specified, SIGTERM is sent. Signals can be specified either by name (e.g. -HUP or -SIGHUP) or by number (e.g. -1) or by option -s. If the command name is not regular expression (option -r) and contains a slash (/), processes executing that particular file will be selected for killing, independent of their name. killall returns a zero return code if at least one process has been killed for each listed command, or no commands were listed and at least one process matched the -u and -Z search criteria. killall returns non-zero otherwise. A killall process never kills itself (but may kill other killall processes). OPTIONS
-e, --exact Require an exact match for very long names. If a command name is longer than 15 characters, the full name may be unavailable (i.e. it is swapped out). In this case, killall will kill everything that matches within the first 15 characters. With -e, such entries are skipped. killall prints a message for each skipped entry if -v is specified in addition to -e, -I, --ignore-case Do case insensitive process name match. -g, --process-group Kill the process group to which the process belongs. The kill signal is only sent once per group, even if multiple processes belonging to the same process group were found. -i, --interactive Interactively ask for confirmation before killing. -l, --list List all known signal names. -n, --ns Match against the PID namespace of the given PID. Use 0 to match against all namespaces. The default is to match against the current PID namespace. -o, --older-than Match only processes that are older (started before) the time specified. The time is specified as a float then a unit. The units are s,m,h,d,w,M,y for seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, Months and years respectively. -q, --quiet Do not complain if no processes were killed. -r, --regexp Interpret process name pattern as a POSIX extended regular expression, per regex(3). -s, --signal, -SIGNAL Send this signal instead of SIGTERM. -u, --user Kill only processes the specified user owns. Command names are optional. -v, --verbose Report if the signal was successfully sent. -V, --version Display version information. -w, --wait Wait for all killed processes to die. killall checks once per second if any of the killed processes still exist and only returns if none are left. Note that killall may wait forever if the signal was ignored, had no effect, or if the process stays in zombie state. -y, --younger-than Match only processes that are younger (started after) the time specified. The time is specified as a float then a unit. The units are s,m,h,d,w,M,y for seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, Months and years respectively. -Z, --context (SELinux Only) Specify security context: kill only processes having security context that match with given extended regular expres- sion pattern. Must precede other arguments on the command line. Command names are optional. FILES
/proc location of the proc file system KNOWN BUGS
Killing by file only works for executables that are kept open during execution, i.e. impure executables can't be killed this way. Be warned that typing killall name may not have the desired effect on non-Linux systems, especially when done by a privileged user. killall -w doesn't detect if a process disappears and is replaced by a new process with the same PID between scans. If processes change their name, killall may not be able to match them correctly. killall has a limit of names that can be specified on the command line. This figure is the size of an unsigned long multiplied by 8. For most 32 bit systems the limit is 32 and similarly for a 64 bit system the limit is usually 64. SEE ALSO
kill(1), fuser(1), pgrep(1), pidof(1), pkill(1), ps(1), kill(2), regex(3). psmisc 2017-06-12 KILLALL(1)