Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with awk in a loop/shellscript Post 302332409 by oky on Thursday 9th of July 2009 05:03:25 AM
Old 07-09-2009
Please try this ...it works fine

#!/bin/bash

for i in `ps -eaf | awk '{ print $1 }' | sort | uniq`
do
echo "USER = $i"
echo
ps -eaf | awk -v var="$i" 'BEGIN { print "PID PROGRAM TTY" } /var/ { print $2,$8,$6 }'
echo
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for-loop and NR

Hey, I know this is a stupid question, but it doesn't work. I have a file with 10 lines and I want to pipe the content to awk and then print line 1 til 2 into another file and then line 3-4 ... So my script looks like that, but doesn't work: cat grid_ill.pts | awk '{ for (NR=1;NR<3;NR++)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison and editing of files using awk.(And also a possible bug in awk for loop?)

I have two files which I would like to compare and then manipulate in a way. File1: pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2: pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop and using shell in awk

Hi, everyone! I have a file, when I print its $1 out it show several strings like this: AABBCC AEFJKLFG FALEF FAIWEHF What I want to do is that, after output of each record, search the string in all files in the same folder, print out the record and file name. This is what I want... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

For Loop in shellscript - Printing Output for every iteration

for VGLIST in `lsvg -o` do CLOSED_OUT=`echo $VGLIST | lsvg -l $VGLIST | awk '{print $6 " " $7}' | grep closed` if ]; then echo "Filesystems $CLOSED_OUT in VG that are in Closed status" else echo "\n Some message" fi Above Code is working fine, but echo "Filesystems $CLOSED_OUT... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandu123
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk programming -Passing variable to awk for loop

Hi All, I am new to AWK programming. I have the following for loop in my awk program. cat printhtml.awk: BEGIN -------- <some code here> END{ ----------<some code here> for(N=0; N<H; N++) { for(M=5; M<D; M++) print "\t" D ""; } ----- } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk in shellscript

Dear Members, I have the following situation I do not understand: I have a large json encoded file which I need to grep and afterwards want to extract specific information. I use this command to to that: cat /tmp/file | awk -F '"fields":' '{print $2}' | awk -F '"description":' '{print $4}'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: crumble
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk within a for loop

Hello, I currently have managed to get an awk function working inside a for loop that allows me to combine two files based on their headings but what I have not been able to do is print the output to files with variable names. awk ' NR==FNR {a=$0; next} /^>/ {$0 = $0" "a;} ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Allie_gastrator
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to add field to diffrent file using shellscript? or awk

hi, would you help me? i have file total.csv "a","e23","f" "b,"34d","g" "c","45f","f" "d","45s","f" count.csv 3 i do this : paste -d',",' total.csv count.csv but the result like this: "a,"e23","f" 3 "b,"34d","g" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kivale
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk !seen[$]++ in else loop

Hi all, I was searching the net for a solution for my problem... unfortunately nothing so far. I want to sort on more than on column tab delimited file and keep the line if in the column I sort there is no value, but for those who have a value I want them only unique. I have tried the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksenia
5 Replies
escape(1)                                                       Mail Avenger 0.8.3                                                       escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)