Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help in understanding AIX
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help in understanding AIX Post 302332360 by tenderfoot on Thursday 9th of July 2009 12:09:35 AM
Old 07-09-2009
Help in understanding AIX

Dear ALL,

Where can I get the following information?

what will happen exactly when i hit CTRL+C, CTRL+Z, CTRL+X, CTRL+D etc when the AIX terminal hangs...?

The reason why I am asking this question is when ever I type a command at the terminal (say "select * from tab" or any command) the terminal hangs .

Apparently I will type one of the CTRL+C, CTRL+Z, CTRL+X, CTRL+D and will the get the command prompt or some times the terminal exits...

Thanks

Last edited by tenderfoot; 07-09-2009 at 01:28 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding basic of storage in aix

Hi Can some one help to understand the follwoing thing: what is a simple mounting? for examle what the following lines says /dev/hd2 /usr/xxx if I have to install a software in a remote server, how i can use local cdrom to read the installation files from? what about... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaya
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help understanding a program

I ran the following program. I don't understand some of it. #!/bin/sh case $1 in --test|-t) echo "you used the --test option" exit 0 ;; --help|-h) echo "Usage:" echo " myprog.sh " ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Toxic
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help understanding mv

I just started shell coding and I'm a bit confused on how 'mv' works can someone explain to me how it works and if i did this correctly. Thanks. echo "Enter Name of the first file:" read file1 #echo $file1 if ; then echo "Sorry, file does not exist." exit 1 ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: taiL
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding mv command

hi i was moving a file from one directory to another with the following cmmand mv /home/hsghh/dfd/parent/file.txt . while doing so i i accidently mv /home/hsghh/dfd/dfd . although i gave ctrl c and terminate the move command some of the file are missing in the parent directory and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saravanan71184
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding {%/*}/

Hi Gurus: I am trying to understand the following line of code.I did enough of googling to understand but no luck.Please help me understand the follow chunk of code: X=$0 MOD=${X%/*}/env.ksh X is the current script from which I am trying to execute. Say if X=test.ksh $MOD is echoing :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vemana
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding Groups

Hi cat /etc/group : .... oinstall:x:401: dba:x:400:oracle ... cat /etc/passwd|grep oracle oracle:x:130:401::/home/oracle:/bin/ksh 1. Is that mean that : ORACLE user has OINSTALL as it Primary group and DBA as secondary group ? 2. What is the linux comman to set ORACLE user with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help understanding differences between AIX and RHEL

I have started a new job which requires AIX admin skills, which I have, and RHEL skills. Does anyone have a cheat sheet that if I know how to solve the problem in AIX how would I do that in RHEL? I was an IBM pre-sales technical trying to keep sales guys honest - not possible. Any other links to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SpenceSnyder
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need your help in understanding this

Hi, I found this in a script and I would like to know how this works Code is here: # var1=PART1_PART2 # var2=${var1##*_} # echo $var2 PART2 I'm wondering how ##* makes the Shell to understand to pick up the last value from the given. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
2 Replies

9. AIX

AIX understanding memory using

Hello, I would like to understand better in AIX memory use / > svmon -G -O unit=MB Unit: MB -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- size inuse free pin virtual available mmode memory 9216.00 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phat
4 Replies
EVIM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   EVIM(1)

NAME
evim - easy Vim, edit a file with Vim and setup for modeless editing SYNOPSIS
evim [options] [file ..] eview DESCRIPTION
eVim starts Vim and sets options to make it behave like a modeless editor. This is still Vim but used as a point-and-click editor. This feels a lot like using Notepad on MS-Windows. eVim will always run in the GUI, to enable the use of menus and toolbar. Only to be used for people who really can't work with Vim in the normal way. Editing will be much less efficient. eview is the same, but starts in read-only mode. It works just like evim -R. See vim(1) for details about Vim, options, etc. The 'insertmode' option is set to be able to type text directly. Mappings are setup to make Copy and Paste work with the MS-Windows keys. CTRL-X cuts text, CTRL-C copies text and CTRL-V pastes text. Use CTRL-Q to obtain the original meaning of CTRL-V. OPTIONS
See vim(1). FILES
/usr/local/lib/vim/evim.vim The script loaded to initialize eVim. AKA
Also Known As "Vim for gumbies". When using evim you are expected to take a handkerchief, make a knot in each corner and wear it on your head. SEE ALSO
vim(1) AUTHOR
Most of Vim was made by Bram Moolenaar, with a lot of help from others. See the Help/Credits menu. 2002 February 16 EVIM(1)