Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: get substring from string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting get substring from string Post 302332038 by prasperl on Wednesday 8th of July 2009 03:18:43 AM
Old 07-08-2009
"But it's returning "4479620" instead of "4479620"

What is the exact result you expecting?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

can i get a substring from a string?

for example, the string a is "abcdefg", can i get a substring "bcd" (from ato a) from string a? thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dell9
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting a substring from a string

hi all, I am trying to extract SUBSTRINGS out of a string using ksh. The string is "SAPR3K.FD0.FA.TJ.B0010.T050302" I tried using a= `expr substr $stringZ 1 2` which is giving me a syntax error, donno why?? any ideas why its not working?? I also tried echo "welcome" | awk '{... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maradona
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the substring from the string

Hi All, Can anybody help me to get the substring from the given string. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anshu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with string and substring also I/O

#!/bin/sh PRINTF=/usr/bin/printf PASSWD=/etc/passwd $PRINTF "Enter a UserID\n" read USERID if ; then $PRINTF "$USERID does not exist, please contact IT service\n" exit 1 fi USERHOME=`grep "^$USERID:" $PASSWD | awk -F : '{print $6}'` USERSHELL=`grep "^$USERID:"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ikeQ
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring from string

Hi awk and sed gurus, Please help me in the following. I have the following entries in the file ABCDErules AbHDPrules ABCrules -- -- and other entries in the file. Now, I want to extract from the file that contain entries for *rules and process it separately. How can i do it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

substring and string position

Hi I want to use korn shell. I have files in a directory of following format abc01of09xyz abc02of09mno aabc03of09qrs --- -- requirement first is to check if any files of format "abc*of*" exists. If yes then match the number of such files with the number mentioned in each files(09 in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subusona
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a string with its substring

Hi All, Below is some sample content of my input file: There are many types and traditions of anarchism, some of which are ]. Strains of anarchism have been divided into the categories of ] and ] or similar dual classifications. Anarchism is often considered to be a radical ] ideology, and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: satheeshkumar
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get substring from string variable

Hi Dears, How to use variable in string location of expression ${string:index:length} to get substring from string? I encounter error "bad substitution" when I use expression ${$var:0:5} to get first 5 characters from $var. Could you please help me out of this? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crest.boy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date substring from a string

Hi, I have 2 statements in a file a.sh start time is Fri Jan 9 17:17:33 CST 2015 a.sh end time is Fri Jan 9 17:47:33 CST 2015 I am required to get only the time out of it. like 17:17:33 & 17:47:33 PLs suggest (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: usrrenny
21 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring within string between 2 token within the string

Hello. First best wishes for everybody. here is the input file ("$INPUT1") contents : BASH_FUNC_message_begin_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_debug%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_end_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_error%%=() { local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)                                                 General Commands Manual                                                ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)