Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX When/how is $HOSTNAME populated ? Post 302331993 by bakunin on Tuesday 7th of July 2009 09:10:45 PM
Old 07-07-2009
funksen and zaxxon are both correct. Never depend on any variables set outside of a script but "bring with you what you need to work with".

The number 1 problem (by a large margin) with cron-scripts is: "i have written a script which ran fine in my shell, then i put it into crontab and now it doesn't work any more. It still runs when i test it." The reason is that your login shell inherits all kinds of environment variables but scripts started by cron don't. If you implicitly rely on - for instance - $PATH being set the same way it is set in your interactive shell you are in for a bad surprise.

Several variables are set in your "~/.profile" and in your "~/.kshrc", but some system-wide variables are set in "/etc/environment". All these files do NOT apply to scripts started by cron.

This is the reason why i have ALL my scripts use their own environment, regardless of them being run in cron or not. The beginning of my scripts always looks like this:

Code:
#! /bin/ksh

if [ -z "$DEVELOP" ] ; then                      # set environment
     . /usr/local/lib/ksh/f_env
else
     . ~/lib/f_env
fi

typeset SCRIPT_INTERN_VAR1=""
typeset SCRIPT_INTERN_VAR2=""

... etc., etc. ...

where "/usr/local/lib/ksh/f_env" is a ksh function which declares all the variables common to all the scripts. It looks like this:

Code:
     unset ENV                                   # clear the environment

#---------------------------------------------------- set basic environment

typeset -x OS=$(uname -a | cut -d' ' -f1)   # find out the OS
                                                 # read in standard environment
     case "$OS" in
          AIX)
               . /etc/environment
               ;;

Linux)
               . /etc/profile
               ;;

*)
               . /etc/environment
               ;;
     esac

# set default TERM variable
     case "$OS" in
          AIX)
               TERMDEF="$(termdef)"
               ;;

Linux)
               TERMDEF="$TERM"
               ;;

*)
               TERMDEF="$TERM"
               ;;

esac
     typeset -x TERM=${TERMDEF:-'wyse60'}        # set default TERM variable
     typeset -x LANG=C                           # default language environment
     typeset -x EDITOR=vi                        # what else ? ;-))
     typeset -x VISUAL=$EDITOR

typeset -x PATH="/usr/bin"                  # set the path
                PATH="$PATH:/bin"
                PATH="$PATH:/etc"
                PATH="$PATH:/usr/sbin"
                PATH="$PATH:/usr/ucb"
                PATH="$PATH:/sbin"
                PATH="$PATH:/usr/bin/X11"
                PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin"      # tools, home for scripts
                PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/sbin"     # -"-

typeset -x chTmpDir=""                      # path for temporary files

... etc., etc. ...

I never have to worry about a script being run in cron or not, being run by a specific user or even on a specific system - it won't fail because of the environment being set wrongly.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hostname

Hello, I am installing redhat linux 6.2 on an intel based system. Whether i want to know any naming conventions should i follow. ie Any convention to follow to name a linux machine(To give hostname). Simillarly for domain name also. Please suggest in this regard (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

looking up hostname

Using Solaris 8 (or WINXP). I am trying to look up a specific DNS hostname, but I don't know which DNS server houses that entry. How can I find the hostname? nslookup gives me the following: C:\>nslookup hostname Server: dnsserver Address: x.x.x.x *** dnsserver can't find hostname:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing hostname

Hi, I am using hostname environment variable in my shell script to print the host name but it's printing nothing.Can you please help me on this. Please find the part of the code pasted here: llist= llist=$(ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep -c "$1") echo "Hostname is ${hostname}" (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gbiswal
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log file not getting populated when using BTEQ

Hi, I am trying to run some SQL scripts under the UNIX server using BTEQ. When I try to create a log file, the file gets populated only to the point where I log into BTEQ. The log file for the running of the actual script does not seem to be stored. Would any one know ehy this could be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zsrinathz
3 Replies

6. SCO

Possible hostname issue?

from the hostname command I get this: scosysv.mycompany0 when I ping scosysv.mycompany0 i get 64.158.xx.xx which fails with 100% packet loss. /etc/hosts shows 199.199.199.1 scosysv scosysv.mycompany0 scosysv.mycompany0.com when I ping the hostname value isn't the local IP 199.199.199.1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbxguy
6 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

HP UX - ILO Console hostname different than Machine Hostname...

Hi All, So we added a new HP-UX 11.31 machine. Copied OS via Ignite-UX (DVD)over from this machine called machine_a. It was supposed to be named machine_c. And it is when you log in...however when I'm in the ILO console before logging in, it says: It should say: What gives? And how do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
4 Replies

8. AIX

Hard Drive stuck in populated state?

Hi all, I ended up replacing a failed disk drive on my power 7. I had a few issues with unmirroring as it had a stale logical volume. I ended up finally getting it to unmirror the rootvg. I had an empty space in slot 3 so I ended up putting the new disk in slot 3. It configured to hdisk0 with no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlexanderIII
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hostname -f hostname: Unknown host

deleted (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
0 Replies

10. Web Development

How to get input text boxes populated / perl cgi?

Hi, I know how to populate a combo box or a drop down list box which I do as under : Query that gets the data for the drop down box : $qry = "select \"EmployeeID\" AS empid, \"FirstName\"::text || ' ' ||\"LastName\"::text as name from \"Employees\""; $qq =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terrykhatri531
1 Replies
profile(4)							   File Formats 							profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)