Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dump and Restore
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Dump and Restore Post 302331905 by methyl on Tuesday 7th of July 2009 01:06:23 PM
Old 07-07-2009
Quote:
So if we use dump/restore would be have the problem we originally encountered when the dd command made the new hard drive 143 GB partition into a 63GB partition?
I don't have Knopix. My recollection of dump/restore is that they work on mounted filesystems not raw partitions. Yours may be different.

Code:
There is an example of chaining dump and restore in my O/S "man restore" . Not tested and may not apply to your O/S.

It states:

Thus, dump and restore can be used in a pipeline to dump and restore a file system with the command

dump 0f - /usr | (cd /mnt; restore xf -)

Last edited by methyl; 07-07-2009 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Displaced tag

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help, what is the difference between core dump and panic dump?

help, what is the difference between core dump and panic dump? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aileen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restore dump - help

I have a file with .dmp.gz. I am trying to uncompress this file in a new directory. was able to use gzip to take off the gz extension. How do I get the .dmp extension off? Will ufsrestore work on SUN system? HELP! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankera
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

restore mysql dump file in many remote servers?

Hi all, I want to restore DB file in many mysql servers, i already using script for sending the dumpfile in all servers, but it's just annoying if i have to restore the dumpfile in all servers, i want just execute 1 script, and will restore in all remote mysql servers. I make script but not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blesets
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Dump and restore command usage ??

Hi, I am using RHEL 4.0 I need to take backup of a directory and then restore it to some other location. For taking Backup of final directory, I am using this code: dump -0aj -f /home/vicky/final.dump /home/vicky/final/ Now, I am trying to restore this final.dump to some other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dump and restore problem

Hi all, having problem with dump & restore for cloning simple linux system. The command is : dump -0u -f /temp/var.dump /dev/sda5 But somehow the result displayed: ~~~~~~ dump: ACLs in inode #1250760 won't be dumped: Inappropriate ioctl for device dump: ACLs in inode #1250761 won't be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mycoolwater
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to restore a dump file on the disk

Hi all, i am a real dummy to unix and in need of help.My platform is Sun solaris(5.9) I have a dump file, an oracle cold backup taken with ufsdump command. This dump file resides on the disk, not the tape. I want to extract this dump file to a directory. But i cant, i read about ufsrestore... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: merope
1 Replies

7. AIX

mksysb restore - Wrong OS level for restore

Hi all, I am still working on my mksysb restore. My latest issue is during an alt_disk_install from tape I got the following error after all the data had been restored. 0505-143 alt_disk_install: Unable to match mksysb level 5.2.0 with any available boot images. Please correct this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pobman
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dump/restore of a fs with 100 of millions hardlinks

Hi :-) i have a dump of a backupdisk (~540GB / ext3). The Backups have some 100 millions of hardlinks (backups are created with storeBackup). The OS is linux. A restore of a directory ended after some days with the errormessage "no memory to extend symbol table" The restore of the complete... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: turricum
0 Replies

9. Solaris

restore dump from veritas format using ufs file system

hi all i have a DLT tape in that tape backup is there is in veritas volume format and i want to restore it in ufs file system how can i do it? right now i don't have veritas file system setup. i have only ufs file sysytem please help some production data is to be restore. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
3 Replies
HD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     HD(4)

NAME
hd - MFM/IDE hard disk devices DESCRIPTION
The hd* devices are block devices to access MFM/IDE hard disk drives in raw mode. The master drive on the primary IDE controller (major device number 3) is hda; the slave drive is hdb. The master drive of the second controller (major device number 22) is hdc and the slave hdd. General IDE block device names have the form hdX, or hdXP, where X is a letter denoting the physical drive, and P is a number denoting the partition on that physical drive. The first form, hdX, is used to address the whole drive. Partition numbers are assigned in the order the partitions are discovered, and only nonempty, nonextended partitions get a number. However, partition numbers 1-4 are given to the four partitions described in the MBR (the "primary" partitions), regardless of whether they are unused or extended. Thus, the first logi- cal partition will be hdX5. Both DOS-type partitioning and BSD-disklabel partitioning are supported. You can have at most 63 partitions on an IDE disk. For example, /dev/hda refers to all of the first IDE drive in the system; and /dev/hdb3 refers to the third DOS "primary" partition on the second one. They are typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/hda b 3 0 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda1 b 3 1 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda2 b 3 2 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hda8 b 3 8 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb b 3 64 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb1 b 3 65 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb2 b 3 66 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb8 b 3 72 chown root:disk /dev/hd* FILES
/dev/hd* SEE ALSO
chown(1), mknod(1), sd(4), mount(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 1992-12-17 HD(4)