Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vi/vim insert behaviors
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers vi/vim insert behaviors Post 302331885 by mrwatkin on Tuesday 7th of July 2009 12:16:51 PM
Old 07-07-2009
vi/vim insert behaviors

While using vi or vim on different boxes, I experience different behaviors when I'm inserting (i) or writing on a new line (o). On the Linux box, I can insert and delete with my backspacekey while in the insert mode. It acts a little more like pico,nedit, etc. On the SunOS box, it's a headache because when I want to go upor down to edit something else, I have to press i or o again. It jumps out of insert mode when I hit any of the direction keys. This is annoying to me. Is there any way to make it behave more like the Linux box's vi/vim?

Last edited by mrwatkin; 07-08-2009 at 12:48 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert escape charactor within VIM

Hi, I need to send "^[" command to the buffer. I tried to use insert within VIM and press 'ctrl' key and then '^' and '[' key. but it didn't work. Does anyone know how to do it? Thanks a lot! Julie (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cin2000
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Vim 7.0

I want to install VIM 7.0 from sunfreeware.com onto a server. The security guys are giving me a hard time because they found this security vulnerability. http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/xfdb/6259 This vulnerability came out in 2001, and it looks like it was mostly for linux, but I cant be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need some help with vim

I use vim for writing code. I was using nano but found that vim is a much advanced editor. I am trying to achieve something like this: When trying a loop or a function, I generally type: function name() {} Now when I take my cursor one position to the left and press the return key, it give... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

About Vim

Hello, what is the maximum size of a file that we can open using vim. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
3 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Help with Vim

How do I use compilers and syntax highlighting in (g)Vim? Specifically, I need a Common Lisp compiler and a C++ compiler. Thanks in advance! (Note: Disregard my other topic.) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: led3234
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Very Importan - Vim Settings - Error while opening a File using vim

I downloaded vim.7.2 and compiled the vim source . Added the vim binary path to PATH (Because iam not the root of the box) when i load the file using vim it throws me an error Error detected while processing /home2/e3003091/.vimrc: line 2: E185: Cannot find color scheme darkblue line... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Vim :f

Can someone please tell me what this does? :f word I thought that was the way to save files with a different name but after a quick google search I saw it was like this. :w filename (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi / vim - Insert a external command response

I would like to execute and external command and insert it into a particular area of the file I am editing. Note that I have the ORIGINAL AT&T vi training doc dated 1987. Doesnt explain it. As an example, in a vi editor I have I would like the result : After executing the following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: popeye
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell vim defaulting to Insert or Command mode

On a daily basis I need to SSH into several different RHEL servers using Putty. On some of the servers, if I up arrow to get a previous command, it automatically starts in Input Mode, so if I press up arrow, then 'x' it will type the letter x at the end of the command line. On other servers, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: derndingle
4 Replies
GENBOX(1)						      General Commands Manual							 GENBOX(1)

NAME
genrbox - generate a RADIANCE description of a box SYNOPSIS
genrbox mat name xsiz ysiz zsiz [ -i ][ -r rad | -b bev ] DESCRIPTION
Genbox produces a RADIANCE scene description of a parallelepiped with one corner at the origin and the opposite corner at (xsiz, ysiz, zsiz). The sides of the box will be parallel to the three coordinate planes. The surfaces that make up the box will be modified by mat and their identifiers will begin with name. The -i option can be used to produce a box with inward directed surface normals. The -r option can be used to specify the radius for rounded edges. The -b option can be used to specify the indentation for beveled edges. EXAMPLE
To produce a rectangular box made of wood with beveled edges: genrbox wood box1 5 8 3 -b .5 > box1 AUTHOR
Greg Ward BUGS
Because spheres and cylinders are used to construct boxes with rounded edges, a transparent box of this type appears quite messy. SEE ALSO
genrev(1), gensurf(1), genworm(1), rpict(1), rvu(1), xform(1) RADIANCE
11/15/93 GENBOX(1)