Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do I pull a substring out of a file? Post 302331858 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 7th of July 2009 11:04:07 AM
Old 07-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by enator45
thank you so much, works perfectly like this...

echo `grep ",.*free mem," testlog.txt` | nawk '$1~ "^Memory"{print $5}'

I'll have to learn nawk and awk
no need for echo AND grep:
Code:
nawk '/free mem,/ && $1~ "^Memory"{print $5}' testlog.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pull a file from a remote server through a shell script

Hi, I am writing a shell script to pull a file from a remote server (Let say its a windows based remote server). One of my criteria is to pull a file only if it is not empty. We have done a similar script to push a file from our end to a remote server and before pushing it we check for the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sashankkrk
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using awk (or whatever) to pull and append data in a new file

One of the fortunate things about posting in a "Dummies" forum is you probably aren't expecting a lot of out me... I'm trying to pull fields from two lines in the same file(s), and then append them together in a new file. So...I get a nice line-by-line of the first bit of data I'm looking... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Milano_EH3
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to pull multiple field from log file

I am hoping to get some help with a script to pull certain fields from a log file. User update (xx6xxx P) rpt (yy6yyy B) 2010/01/20 21:36:01.298 Remote client forward start streamid 85af 2010/01/20 21:36:01.307 rpt2 (ZZ6ZZZ G) rpt1 (YY6YYY B) urcall (CQCQCQ ) mycall (W1AW) user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TedSD
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

pull range of dates/times and put into new file

Need to pull from a range of dates/times (ex. 6:00 AM March 3 through 6:00 AM March 4) from a folder and put those file names in a new file to process later. Dates would not be hard dates but dates from the folder directory, how would I do that? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: freddie999
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How pull the Data from the file and should be mailed

Hi All, I need to pull the data from a file from 2 set of directories & should be mailed. I have a code , it is failing for some reason. Do somebody correct me where my script is going wrong. Directories: 1st Set of Directory /176_PS/Transactions/**/syslog.log ** : prd1 prd2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please do help: Perl Script to pull out rows from a CSV file

I have CSV file that contains data in the format as shown below: ABC, 67, 56, 67, 78, 89, 76, 55 PDR, 85, 83, 83, 72, 82, 89, 83 MPG, 86, 53, 54, 65, 23, 54, 75 .. .. .. .. I want to create a script that will pull out the rows from the above sheet and paste it into another CSV file.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajusc
12 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to find that has a string and pull the record out of that file

Hello Experts !!! Have some trouble finding a solution for the problem mentioned below. Please help. Thanks, Lee. I have set of input files as below File1 MCMCNDD77 20100903:12:36:50 323-2322 BAC,MRP,NWER CKDJKJK838838 234 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: OMLEELA
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Easy way to pull a paragraph from a text file?

I have a collection of text files that comprise a mailing list archive. I grep them to find an email that interests me, then open the file in a text editor to find the surrounding paragraph of text. Is there an easy way to do this from the shell instead? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CRGreathouse
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to pull a variable out of an xml file...

Hello. I'm new to *ix and am trying to pull a variable or two from an xml document. The document is in the format: <name>7_3(A).mov</name> <description>Some description from a file</description> <updatename>7_3_A.mov</updatename> <updatepath>Dailies Released</updatepath> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renfield
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to pull hashes out of large text file

I am attempting to write a script that will pull out NTLM hashes from a text file that contains about 500,000 lines of data. Not all accounts contain hashes and I only need the ones that do contain hashes. Here is a sample of what the data looks like: There are thousands of other lines in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chango77747
6 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)