Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cksum file1 confusion
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cksum file1 confusion Post 302331516 by TeamUSA on Monday 6th of July 2009 12:08:07 PM
Old 07-06-2009
Cksum file1 confusion

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to write a script that will input a .bin file (including file path) and output a computed checksum. My knowledge on checksums are not very good but I know that it should be a 32 bit sum of all the words in the file. If anyone can provide me any assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cksum question

Hi there, I have a query about cksum. I'm running a script on the Unix box and in a script the cksum result differs from when I run it manually. As far as I can see the file is not being changed, is there any other times that the cksum would be different. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjsha1
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

The cksum Problem

Hi, I have a working script, well it works on my machine but when I try it on others the cksum section does not work properly (I know the scripting is not of a high quality but I'm just trying to get it working) Heres the script: #!/bin/sh case $# in 0) echo "usage: enshar filename... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dim-Wit
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using cksum

hi, I am trying to use the cksum feature in unix. when i make a call to it i get returned something along the lines of: 4603435 14 file3 how do i get the first part of this response only; i.e: 4603435 I'm trying to use at a way without the use of sed and creating temp... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: leeRoberts2007
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cksum dependencies

Hi, On what factors does the cksum depend. If i build 2 machines exactly the same, then can i get the checksum of 2 compiled files same. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

EEPROM CKSUM? what is this?

Hi all, So I have a binary file and I need to generate an expected EEPROM checksum for it. Ideally, I would like to input the file (with the path) and output a computed checksum. Ive been using (cksum file1) with no avail and I was just curious as to whether there is such thing as EEPROM cksum,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TeamUSA
1 Replies

6. Solaris

cat file1 > file1

I have file1 with the contents this is file1 when i do cat file1 , the output is this is file1 when i run cat file1 > file1 , I receive the following message cat: input file1 is output (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if matching strings in file1 and file2, add column from file1 to file2

I have very limited coding skills but I'm wondering if someone could help me with this. There are many threads about matching strings in two files, but I have no idea how to add a column from one file to another based on a matching string. I'm looking to match column1 in file1 to the number... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare file1 and file2, print matching lines in same order as file1

I want to print only the lines in file2 that match file1, in the same order as they appear in file 1 file1 file2 desired output: I'm getting the lines to match awk 'FNR==NR {a++}; FNR!=NR && a' file1 file2 but they are in sorted order, which is not what I want: Can anyone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to search field2 in file2 using range of fields file1 and using match to another field in file1

I am trying to use awk to find all the $2 values in file2 which is ~30MB and tab-delimited, that are between $2 and $3 in file1 which is ~2GB and tab-delimited. I have just found out that I need to use $1 and $2 and $3 from file1 and $1 and $2of file2 must match $1 of file1 and be in the range... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies
sum(1B) 					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						   sum(1B)

NAME
sum - calculate a checksum for a file SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/sum file... DESCRIPTION
sum calculates and displays a 16-bit checksum for the named file and displays the size of the file in kilobytes. It is typically used to look for bad spots, or to validate a file communicated over some transmission line. The checksum is calculated by an algorithm which may yield different results on machines with 16-bit ints and machines with 32-bit ints, so it cannot always be used to validate that a file has been transferred between machines with different-sized ints. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of sum when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sum(1), wc(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Read error is indistinguishable from EOF on most devices; check the block count. NOTES
sum and /usr/bin/sum (see sum(1)) return different checksums. This utility is obsolete. SunOS 5.10 8 Nov 1995 sum(1B)