Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Applying lock on a file in Unix Ksh Post 302331466 by fpmurphy on Monday 6th of July 2009 09:37:53 AM
Old 07-06-2009
Here is a pointer to a good discusion on the issue: create/remove a lock file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to lock a file in unix?

We wish to keep a sequence number in a file. When someone wants to get the next sequence number we need to lock the file, get the next number and increment it by one. How do you do that? I know how to get the number and increment it but how do I lock the file and test that it is locked or not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tammy_schmuki
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

Security Question: Lock after invalid login, Session Lock and Required Minimum Password Length

Hello all, If anyone has time, I have a few questions: How do I do the following in Linux. We are using Red Hat and Oracle Enterprise Linux, which is based on Red Hat too. 1. How to lock the account after a few (like 3) invalid password attempts? 2. How do you lock a screen after 30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nstarz
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do i lock a ksh shell script?

Hi, I have a ksh shell script that accesses databases to drop and create tables and the script also creates text files. This shell script is accessed thru a java application that i would like to turn multi-user, but the only way that i can do that is if I can figure out a way to lock the shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ndedhia1
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Testing privileges -lock lockfile /var/lock/subsys/..- Permission denied

Hi all, I have to test some user priviliges. The goal is to be sure that an unauthorized user can't restart some modules (ssh, mysql etc...). I'm trying to automate it with a shell script but in same cases I got the syslog broadcast message. Is there any way to simply get a return code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

applying unix command in EBCIDIC file

Hi, I'm having a general query. If we do cat <file name> on a Ebcidic format file then many unknown characters are displayed in my screen. Can we change the character set related to EBCIDIC in session level and apply the cat command on a EBCIDIC file? By doing so can we able to see the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: poova
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Applying python on all the files in one folder --UNIX

Dear all, I know this might be a simple and silly question but I am struggling with it I have a long unix script and in a section of if I want to use a python script which should select all the files and run the script on it (as a whole) the loop I have is selecting file by file and I dont know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

How to lock a file through UNIX KSH shell script?

I wrote two shell scripts in UNIX that renames the same file and scheduled them at the same time. The following are the steps that I followed:- 1. I wrote 2 scripts named s1.sh and s2.sh, both trying to add “exec_” prefix to the name of the files present in a folder i which already don't start... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: piuli
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Applying sed against a file from a list of values stored in a variable

Hi Forum. I have the following challenge at work that I need to write a script for. I have a file abc.txt with the following contents: 4560123456 4570987654 4580654321 I want to be able to search/replace in abc.txt - the first 4 characters anything starting with 4560 to 7777; 4570... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Applying the same awk over a directory of files with individual file output

I am trying to apply an awk action over multiple files in a directory. It is a simple action, I want to print out the 1st 2 columns (i.e. $1 and $2) in each tab-separated document and output the result in a new file *.pp This is the awk that I have come up with so far, which is not giving me a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh: How to write the log file simultaneously when .sql file executes by UNIX process

Hello Team- we would like to implement an approach which has to write the log file simultaneously when .sql file is executing by Unix process. At present,it is writing the log file once the process is completed. I've tested the current process with the below approaches and none of them... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hima_B
1 Replies
HTMAKE(1)						       GLOBAL cgi Utilities							 HTMAKE(1)

NAME
htmake - create GLOBAL hypertext source searchable by gsearch.cgi SYNOPSIS
htmake [htags options] [--url=base-url] [destdir] DESCRIPTION
htmake is a wrapper script that creates searchable hypertext from program source code and records information into a path database needed for a centralised search mechanism. Prior to using this command you must have installed gsearch.cgi using the htconfig -I option and configured the location of the path data- base in htmake.conf Before you can create the hypertext source you need to execute gtags(1) from the root directory of the source tree. htmake is then called from the same place. htmake uses htags(1) to create the hypertext with a unique id and htconfig(1) to make the required entries in the path database. OPTIONS
The following options will be passed to htags(1) if used. -a Make an alphabetical function index. -c Compress html. Use gzip(1) with .ghtml suffix. -C Compress html. Use gzip(1) with .html.gz suffix. -d tagdir, --tags=gtagsdbpath Specifies the directory in which GTAGS and GRTAGS exist. The default is the current directory. -F Use frames for definition index, file index and main view. -l Make a name tag for each line of hypertext created. -n Print out the line numbers. -t title The title of this hypertext. Defaults to the last component of the current path. --action=cgi-url Specify the location search queries are submitted to. Defaults to the value set in htmake.conf or to http://localhost/cgi-bin/gsearch.cgi The remaining options are more general or are passed to htconfig(1). --url=base-url the base url for your new hypertext source. For best results always use absolute url's here. eg. http://host/~user/mysource It defaults to file:/destdir destdir The directory in which hypertext is generated. The default is ./HTML -v, --verbose Activate the inbuilt screen saver. Give your phosphors a workout. EXAMPLES
$ cd /usr/src/myprog $ gtags $ htmake $ cd /usr/src/myprog $ gtags -c $ htmake -c --url=http://host/~user/prog/HTML /home/user/public_html/prog FILES
/etc/gtags/htmake.conf path database BUGS
As a wrapper htmake gets to inherit bugs from other software too. Isn't life fun. This is alpha software - expect anything! SEE ALSO
htconfig(1), htags(1), gtags(1), global(1). AUTHOR
Ron Lee <ron@debian.org> CREDITS
Thanks to Shigio Yamaguchi <shigio@gnu.org> for creating GLOBAL and releasing it as free software. A truly cool productivity tool! Debian GNU/Linux 27 March 1999 HTMAKE(1)