Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help me in counting records from file Post 302331433 by palsevlohit_123 on Monday 6th of July 2009 07:17:34 AM
Old 07-06-2009
Try out the below..

Code:
awk '{print $1,$2}' <<YOUR FILENAME HERE>> |sort|uniq -c

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use records from one file to delete records in another file

file_in_1: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 file_in_2: 9 10 11 12 21 22 23 24 1 2 3 4 17 18 19 20 file_out: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenneth.mcbride
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting records with AWK

I've been working with an awk script and I'm wondeing id it's possible to count records in a file which DO NOT contain, in this instance fields 12 and 13. With the one script I am wanting to display the count for the records WITH fields 12 and 13 and a seperate count of records WITHOUT fields... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Averaging all fields while counting repeated records

Hi every one; I have a 31500-line text file upon which two following tasks are to be performed: 1: Rearranging the file 2: Taking the average of each column (considering number of zeros) and output the result into a new file This is the code I've come up with: awk '(NR%3150<3150)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nxp
0 Replies

5. Programming

Counting the words in a file

Please find the below program. It contains the purpose of the program itself. /* Program : Write a program to count the number of words in a given text file */ /* Date : 12-June-2010 */ # include <stdio.h> # include <stdlib.h> # include <string.h> int main( int argc, char *argv ) {... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting number of records with string row delimiter

HI, i have a file like this t.txt f1|_f2|_ f1|_f2|_ f1|_f2|_ as if col delimiter is |_ and row delimiter |_\n trying to count number of records using awk $ awk 'BEGIN{FS="|_" ; RS="~~\n"} {n++}END{print n} ' t.txt 7 wondering how can i count this to 3 ? thx (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksforum
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicate records from file 1 if records from file 2 match

I have 2 files "File 1" is delimited by ";" and "File 2" is delimited by "|". File 1 below (3 record shown): Doc1;03/01/2012;New York;6 Main Street;Mr. Smith 1;Mr. Jones Doc2;03/01/2012;Syracuse;876 Broadway;John Davis;Barbara Lull Doc3;03/01/2012;Buffalo;779 Old Windy Road;Charles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the records based on condition

Hi Unix team, I have a file with 30 columns with tab delimited. I need to count the records based on column 18 & 21 data. So I cut the data from the file using awk -F"\t" '{print $18,$21}' foo.txt Following is the output: USED SEDAN USED SUV NEW SUV USED Truck USED Truck USED... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate records of a file on 2 types of records

Hi I am new to shell programming in unix Please if I can provide help. I have a file structure of a header record and "N" detail records. The header record will be the total number of detail records I need to split the file in 2: One for the header Another for all detail records Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcogar
1 Replies
LSREALM(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       LSREALM(1p)

NAME
lsrealm - List the realms in a DNSSEC-Tools realm file SYNOPSIS
lsrealm [options] <realm-files> DESCRIPTION
This script lists the contents of the specified realm files. All realm files are loaded before the output is displayed. If any realms have duplicated names, whether within one file or across multiple files, the later realm will be the one whose data are displayed. The output displayed for each realm in a realm file depends on the selected records, the selected attributes, and the selected output format. Each option in these option groups is described in detail in the next section. The three base output formats are described here. The -terse option indicates that a minimal amount of output is desired; the -long option indicates that a great deal of output is desired. The record-selection and attribute-selection options may be used in conjunction with -terse to display exactly the set of realm fields needed. The default output format is that used when neither -terse nor -long is given, and is a middle ground between terse and long output. The table below shows the fields displayed for each output format. realm field default terse long ------------- ------- ----- ---- realm name yes yes yes state yes no yes config directory no no yes realm directory no no yes rollrec file no no yes administrator no no yes directory no no yes display flag no no yes manager no no yes manager arguments no no yes user no no yes OPTIONS
There are three types of options recognized by lsrealm: record-selection options, attribute-selection options, and output-format options. Each type is described in the subsections below. Record-selection Options These options select the records that will be displayed by lsrealm. By default, all records will be displayed; selecting one or the other of these options will restrict the records shown. These options are mutually exclusive. -active List all active records in the realm file. -inactive List all inactive records in the realm file. Attribute-selection Options These options select the attributes of the records that will be displayed by lsrealm. -admin The record's administrator value is included in the output. If an administrator value is not included in a realm, then the value "(defadmin)" will be given. -args The record's user-defined arguments for the realm's rollover manager. -configdir The record's configuration directory is included in the output. This value will be the filename only, unless the -fullpaths option is given. In that case, the full pathname will be printed. -display The record's display flag, used by grandvizier is included in the output. -manager The record's manager field, indicating which rollover manager is used for the realm.. The default is rollerd, but individual installations may use other managers. -realmdir The record's realm directory is included in the output. This value will be the filename only, unless the -fullpaths option is given. In that case, the full pathname will be printed. -rollrec The record's rollrec file is included in the output. This value will be the filename only, unless the -fullpaths option is given. In that case, the full pathname will be printed. -state Include each realm record's state in the output. The state will be either "active" or "inactive". This field is part of the default output. -user The record's user field, which is the user the realm's manager will be executed with. This field is not yet implemented. Output-format Options These options select the type of output that will be given by lsrealm. -count Only a count of matching realms in the realm file is given. -fullpaths Display pathname data as the full pathname given in the realm file. If this option is not specified, only the filename itself will be displayed. -headers Display explanatory column headers. -terse Terse output is given. Only the record name and any other fields specifically selected are included in the output. -long Long output is given. All record fields are included. -help Display a usage message. -Version Displays the version information for lsrealm and the DNSSEC-Tools package. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2012 SPARTA, Inc. All rights reserved. See the COPYING file included with the DNSSEC-Tools package for details. AUTHOR
Wayne Morrison, tewok@tislabs.com SEE ALSO
dtrealms(8), grandvizier(8), realminit(8) Net::DNS::SEC::Tools::realm.pm(3) file-realm(5) perl v5.14.2 2012-06-21 LSREALM(1p)