Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: is open source more secure ?
Special Forums Cybersecurity is open source more secure ? Post 302331403 by bakunin on Monday 6th of July 2009 05:41:14 AM
Old 07-06-2009
I agree with Neo. I'd like to split the matter into two distinct parts, a theoretical and a practical one.

Even theoretically-only spoken the matter of closed-source versus open-source remains complicated. A possible advantage of open-source is the peer-review process which can take place. But to capitalize on this advantage this process has to take place at all, which is in no way guaranteed by something being open-source at all.

A possible advantage of closed-source software would be the "security by obscurity" approach. Experience suggests that this is not a (lasting) security measure at all and in the case of compromised security there is a single possible source able to provide corrective services, whereas open-source software could be changed by everybody in theory, which still leaves a lot of possible authors of corrections in practice.

Approaching the problem on a practical level it has to be stated that "security" is - like "performance" for that matter - a relative term and cannot be used absolutely. There is some value of x you want to protect and there is some estimated effort of y needed to overcome your security measures. If x is (much) bigger than y you have a security problem, otherwise you haven't.

To appraise your security status simply put yourself into the place of the intruder: will it possibly pay off to overcome your defenses? Act, if the answer is "yes" or near there, otherwise don't bother.

It is similar to what i have countlessly told executives in meetings regarding "performance": you have some demand, which can be measured (in seconds, transactions completed, kilobytes, whatever) and there is a system having to meet the demand. It comes down to "does the system meet the specified demand - yes/no?" Performance is not being "fast" but "fast enough".

The same is true for security: what you protect and the efforts for protecting it have to be in proportion and the question is not "safe" but "safe enough".

bakunin

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

open source for the forum

This is a slick looking forum. Any chance on making the code for the forum open source? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ecupirate1998
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

Open Source NMS

Hello there, I wanted to know the members' opinion about the best open source network management software which uses a web browser to show its interface and results. I am interested in the software for both windows and Linux OSs. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jawwad
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open source antivirus

Hello What is the best open source anti virus? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohammadmahdi
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the best open source antispam?

Hello what is the best open source antispam? Thanks http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohammadmahdi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open Source

Hi Friends I'm new to this UNIX - I'm working on the porting project from Solaris To Linux i just want to map some commands from solaris to Linux so can any one please tell me how to get the source code of the commands like "ls", "cu", "du" Regards sabee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sabee.prakash
1 Replies

6. Fedora

Is UNIX an open source OS ?

Hi everyone, I know the following questions are noobish questions but I am asking them because I am confused about the basics of history behind UNIX and LINUX. Ok onto business, my questions are-: Was/Is UNIX ever an open source operating system ? If UNIX was... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
21 Replies
asadmin-delete-connector-security-map(1)			   User Commands			  asadmin-delete-connector-security-map(1)

NAME
asadmin-delete-connector-security-map, delete-connector-security-map - deletesthe named security map for the given connector connection pool SYNOPSIS
delete-connector-security-map --user admin_user [--password admin_password] [--host localhost] [--port 4848] [--secure|-s] [--passwordfile filename] [--terse=false] [--echo=false] [--interactive=true] --poolname connector_connection_pool_name mapname Deletes the named security map for the given connector connection pool. This command is supported in remote mode only. OPTIONS
--user authorized domain application server administrative username. --password password to administer the domain application server. --host machine name where the domain application server is running. --port port number of the domain application server listening for administration requests. --secure if true, uses SSL/TLS to communicate with the domain application server. --passwordfile file containing the domain application server password. --terse indicates that any output data must be very concise, typically avoiding human-friendly sentences and favoring well- formatted data for consumption by a script. Default is false. --echo setting to true will echo the command line statement on the standard output. Default is false. --interactive if set to true (default), only the required password options are prompted. --poolname connector connection pool name for which the security map that is to be deleted belongs to. OPERANDS
mapname name of the security map to be deleted. Example 1: Using delete-connector-security-map asadmin> delete-connector-security-map --user admin --password adminadmin --poolname connector-pool1 securityMap1 Command delete-connector-security-map executed successfully EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command asadmin- create-connector-security-map(1AS), asadmin-list-connector-security-maps(1AS), asadmin-update-connector-security-map(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-delete-connector-security-map(1)