Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extraction of data from multiple text files, and creation of a chart Post 302331252 by ackheron on Sunday 5th of July 2009 07:23:22 AM
Old 07-05-2009
Thank you very much Jim, it does work perfectly Smilie
I still have to search to understand fully how it works . . .Smilie I mean the syntax and everything . . . I would like to output the dates e.g. "05JAN01" in the first column aswell . . .

I do notice a difference between the values of the txt files and the values in the csv . . .
For instance when the first value is " -0.247297943318988E+07" (see the exemple in my first post ), it becomes "-2472979.90616501" (decimal part, it seems). I don't know yet if I actually need that precision . . . I'm checking this.

Any ideas ?

Your code will help me A LOT . . . Thank you again !
Ackheron.

Last edited by ackheron; 07-05-2009 at 08:46 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extraction of data from a text file which follows certain pattern

hi everybody, i have a file, in it I need to extract some data that follows a particular pattern.. For example: my file contains like now running Speak225 sep 22 mon 16:34:05 2008 -------------------------------- ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohkris
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selective extraction of data from a files

Hi, I would like to seek for methods to do selective extraction of line froma file. The scenario as follows: I have a file with content: message a received on 11:10:00 file size: 10 bytes send by abc message b received on 11:20:00 file size: 10 bytes send by abc (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwgi32
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Data storing and chart

I apologize if this has been posted before but I have been doing a lot of searching and I have not found any real answers, this is quite possibly due to that I may not be searching for the right terms or something. Little bit of info about my situation is that I'm a newbie as you probably guessed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ummSomeNameHere
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using AWK: Extract data from multiple files and output to multiple new files

Hi, I'd like to process multiple files. For example: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Each file contains several lines of data. I want to extract a piece of data and output it to a new file. file1.txt ----> newfile1.txt file2.txt ----> newfile2.txt file3.txt ----> newfile3.txt Here is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Liverpaul09
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help for data extraction if files

Hello all, I want to extract some particular data from a files and than add all the values . but i m not able to cut the particular word(USU-INOCT and USU-OUTOCT) as it is coming not in column. and than able to add values coming in it . can anyone help me Please cat <file name> ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anamdev
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column extraction from multiple files to multiple files

I have roughly ~30 .txt files in a directory which all have unique names. These files all contain text arranged in columns separated by whitespace (example file: [#YY MM DD hh mm WDIR WSPD GST WVHT DPD APD MWD PRES ATMP WTMP DEWP VIS TIDE #yr mo dy hr mn degT m/s m/s m sec ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aozgaa
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read multiple text files and copy data to csv

hi i need to extract lines from multiple files to a csv file. for example, i have these 3 files file1.txt date:29dec1980 caller:91245824255 called:8127766 file2.txt date:11apr2014 caller:9155584558 called:8115478 file3.txt date:25jun2015 caller:445225552 called:8117485 (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: lp.descamps
30 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extraction of data between parenthesis using multiple pattern

i want to extract all data with in parenthesis from a file by passing a pattern from another file.i have some sql statements in my file and i want to extract those ddl by refering to a pattern which is in another file and before writting into file i need some transformation to do.Basically i want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raj121
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

In PErl script: need to read the data one file and generate multiple files based on the data

We have the data looks like below in a log file. I want to generat files based on the string between two hash(#) symbol like below Source: #ext1#test1.tale2 drop #ext1#test11.tale21 drop #ext1#test123.tale21 drop #ext2#test1.tale21 drop #ext2#test12.tale21 drop #ext3#test11.tale21 drop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
5 Replies
manipulate(3pm) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   manipulate(3pm)

NAME
OpaL::manipulate - Perl extension for manipulating files. SYNOPSIS
use OpaL::manipulate qw(functions); No functions or variables are exported automaticly so you have to specify them here. DESCRIPTION
OpaL::manipulate is a module for manipulating files. All functions are autoloaded so they will not be loaded into memory if you have not used them before. FUNCTIONS
perlmodifyadvanced It simply applies the script to the file to change its content. You also have to apply a message to tell what you are doing mostly for debugging and if any error occures. The error level tells how critical this action is to the script. USAGE: "perlmodifyadvanced"("file", "script", "message", errorlevel); The errorlevel is optional. perlmodify It simply fixes some stuff in the script string and then calls perlmodifyadvanced. USAGE: "perlmodify"("file", "script", "message", errorlevel); The errorlevel is optional. perlmodify_insertafter This function searches for something (regular expression). It if is found it inserts the text after it. But it will never insert the text twice. You also have to apply a message to tell what you are doing mostly for debugging and if any error occures. The error level tells how critical this action is to the script. USAGE: "perlmodify_insertafter"("file", "find", "text", "message", errorlevel); The errorlevel is optional. AUTHOR
Ola Lundqvist <ola@inguza.com> REQUIRES
OpaL::action, OpaL::read. SEE ALSO
OpaL::action OpaL::read perl(1) perl v5.10.1 2009-04-21 manipulate(3pm)