Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat CentOS and XP dualboot + ext3/ntfs mount Post 302331201 by svanslyck on Saturday 4th of July 2009 04:08:30 PM
Old 07-04-2009
Network

I didn't create a boot disk, if you mean floppy. I installed CentOS to a second hard disk drive. I then created the boot.lnx file with
Code:
dd if=/dev/sdb1...

which didn't work so I then tried
Code:
dd if=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00...

which also didn't work. The df command revealed both. In both cases I get nothing. When, however, I try to boot directly to the drive using F9 to select the POST boot menu, then at least I get "Missing OS."

Yes, in both cases, I copied the file to C:\. But if the problem is that it's a USB drive, I guess I can fix that by connecting the drive directly. The only reason I have it as a USB drive is that it's a misc. drive I just had sitting around and I connected it with a universal drive adapter to "just see."

I do not know the difference between /dev/sdb1 and /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 - when I did a df they both appeared so I thought I would try both. Possibly one is the HDD with Windows on it, I don't know. All these cryptic abbrevs., I don't know what they mean because I'm used to drive letters and a command prompt that tells me where I am in the file system.

==================================

Update - connecting the drive via SATA instead of USB did the trick. I formatted, connected via SATA, installed, and went from there.

the linux.bin file to create, it turns out, was the one from /dev/sdb1..., not /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00.... I'm not sure if it made a difference because, just as with balancing my checkbook, once you get things working, STOP THERE.

Now, if I only knew how to unload Gnome so I could try KBE, and how to see a context-sensitive prompt, and how to get an underscore cursor instead of a block cursor, and how to get terminal output in white instead of dark blue (on black), and..., and..., and..., and.... Um, well thanks for listening.

Last edited by svanslyck; 07-04-2009 at 07:47 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pb for mount a ntfs fs type

Hie , I have a distrib Red Hat with a kernel-2.4.9-31 . I can't mount a ntfs fs with command : #mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /windows mount: fs type ntfs not supported by kernel Why doesn't my kernel support a type ntfs ? How can I mount this FS ? Merci d'avance.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Romeo_91
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

mount NTFS drive ???????

can someone help tell me how to mount NTFS drive in redhat 7.1 1. is this correct ? dev/hda1 mnt/c ntfs-t defaults 0 0 2.is the mount file etc/fstab thanking you all ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: immanuelgangte
3 Replies

3. BSD

Mount Fat32,ext3

Hello All, How can i mount ext3 and Fat partition in FreeBSD 6.0 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaibw
0 Replies

4. Linux

how to mount ntfs filesystem

:) Hi frds ..i hope i can get some help for this.. I am unable to mount ntfs/hpfs file system which contain my XP o/s. As per the information collected on net i found tht my kernel i.e 2.4.xx does not support ntfs ..? Now I dont knwo where to get upgraded kernel and how to deploy it ..can anyone... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicknihal
0 Replies

5. Linux

Mount ntfs in linux

How Can I mount Windows NTFS Partation in to Linux ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit Deore
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can I mount Windows NTFS drive?

Just inherited a windows server to support. Windows 2003 Enterprise edition I can view driver / folders on the windows NTFS volume by mapping a drive from my windows laptop.. Can I mount this from a unix server also? I heard you can use Microsoft Services for Network File System... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
3 Replies

7. BSD

Mounting ext3 & NTFS on PC-BSD!!

I'm having problem mounting ext3 & ntfs partitions on my PC-BSD OS. Can anyone please help me out here. What are the changes required to be done in fstab?? Are there any patches to be installed?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: void_man()
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ext3 to NTFS - transfering data

Alright so here is my problem: I have an ext3 external hard drive with about 270gb of data that needs to be copied/transferred to a NTFS drive. The NTFS drive has data currently on it...which obviously needs to stay intact. My supervisor mentioned that this problem could be a little tricky so I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: huntreilly25
9 Replies

9. Fedora

unable to mount NTFS

Hi, I'm new for unix. I tried to mount windows NTFS partition in Fedora unix, but it is saying ntfs not found. The command i used is mount /dev/sdb1 -t ntfs /mnt/drive1 and how to find the available filesystem type?. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
1 Replies

10. Solaris

How to mount ntfs for storage HDD new to Solaris 11.2?

I just installed Solaris 11.2 - and it is a bugger. How do I mount an extra HDD that is now formated to NTFS through gparted it keeps telling me I don't have any ntfs on this laptop. it has two hdds, /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 (Linux lingo) Solaris is installed on primary hard drive back of it. then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: userx-bw
2 Replies
HD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     HD(4)

NAME
hd - MFM/IDE hard disk devices DESCRIPTION
The hd* devices are block devices to access MFM/IDE hard disk drives in raw mode. The master drive on the primary IDE controller (major device number 3) is hda; the slave drive is hdb. The master drive of the second controller (major device number 22) is hdc and the slave hdd. General IDE block device names have the form hdX, or hdXP, where X is a letter denoting the physical drive, and P is a number denoting the partition on that physical drive. The first form, hdX, is used to address the whole drive. Partition numbers are assigned in the order the partitions are discovered, and only nonempty, nonextended partitions get a number. However, partition numbers 1-4 are given to the four partitions described in the MBR (the "primary" partitions), regardless of whether they are unused or extended. Thus, the first logi- cal partition will be hdX5. Both DOS-type partitioning and BSD-disklabel partitioning are supported. You can have at most 63 partitions on an IDE disk. For example, /dev/hda refers to all of the first IDE drive in the system; and /dev/hdb3 refers to the third DOS "primary" partition on the second one. They are typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/hda b 3 0 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda1 b 3 1 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda2 b 3 2 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hda8 b 3 8 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb b 3 64 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb1 b 3 65 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb2 b 3 66 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb8 b 3 72 chown root:disk /dev/hd* FILES
/dev/hd* SEE ALSO
chown(1), mknod(1), sd(4), mount(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 1992-12-17 HD(4)