Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: is open source more secure ?
Special Forums Cybersecurity is open source more secure ? Post 302331191 by Neo on Saturday 4th of July 2009 01:39:39 PM
Old 07-04-2009
I agree with the replies.

It is too simple to make a sweeping generalization "open source is more secure" or "open source is less secure".

So, anyone who believes either statement, yes or no, is both right and wrong, because the statement is too general and therefore meaningless

Even the term "security" has no real meaning. In discussing IT security you must discuss risk, and to discuss risk you must think in terms of vulnerability, threat and impact.

For example, an open source system turned on and sitting in your closet without a connection to the Internet may be more secure that the most expensive closed source system on the Internet Smilie

In other words, there are security experts born every minute, it seems, and very few understand what they are actually taking about. If you understood security and risk management, you could not answer such a simple question as "is open source more or less secure?" because this question has no context and just lends to endless, meaningless debates by people who do not understand the nature of IT security and risk management.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

open source for the forum

This is a slick looking forum. Any chance on making the code for the forum open source? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ecupirate1998
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

Open Source NMS

Hello there, I wanted to know the members' opinion about the best open source network management software which uses a web browser to show its interface and results. I am interested in the software for both windows and Linux OSs. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jawwad
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open source antivirus

Hello What is the best open source anti virus? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohammadmahdi
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the best open source antispam?

Hello what is the best open source antispam? Thanks http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohammadmahdi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open Source

Hi Friends I'm new to this UNIX - I'm working on the porting project from Solaris To Linux i just want to map some commands from solaris to Linux so can any one please tell me how to get the source code of the commands like "ls", "cu", "du" Regards sabee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sabee.prakash
1 Replies

6. Fedora

Is UNIX an open source OS ?

Hi everyone, I know the following questions are noobish questions but I am asking them because I am confused about the basics of history behind UNIX and LINUX. Ok onto business, my questions are-: Was/Is UNIX ever an open source operating system ? If UNIX was... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
21 Replies
KEYLOGOUT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					      KEYLOGOUT(1)

NAME
keylogout -- delete stored secret key SYNOPSIS
keylogout [-f] DESCRIPTION
The keylogout utility deletes the key stored by the key server process keyserv(8) to be used by any secure network services, such as NFS. Further access to the key is revoked, however current session keys may remain valid till they expire, or are refreshed. This option will cause any background jobs that need secure RPC services to fail, and any scheduled at jobs that need the key to fail. Also since only one copy is kept on a machine of the key, it is a bad idea to place this in your .logout file since it will affect other sessions on the same machine. The following option is available: -f Forget the rootkey. This will break secure NFS if it is done on a server. SEE ALSO
chkey(1), keylogin(1), login(1), publickey(5), keyserv(8), newkey(8) BSD
April 15, 1989 BSD