Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: is open source more secure ?
Special Forums Cybersecurity is open source more secure ? Post 302331190 by pludi on Saturday 4th of July 2009 01:25:36 PM
Old 07-04-2009
Both yes and no. On the one hand since a lot of people can take a look at the source it's harder to intentionally introduce malicious code. On the other hand, a lot of projects have no formalized security tests and rely on software that checks for certain patterns in the code that could introduce flaws.

The best example is the OpenSSL bug introduced in Debian because Valgrind reported uninitalized memory. The alledged "fix" reduced the overall randomness of the system because the coder and reviewers didn't see all the implications.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

open source for the forum

This is a slick looking forum. Any chance on making the code for the forum open source? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ecupirate1998
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

Open Source NMS

Hello there, I wanted to know the members' opinion about the best open source network management software which uses a web browser to show its interface and results. I am interested in the software for both windows and Linux OSs. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jawwad
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open source antivirus

Hello What is the best open source anti virus? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohammadmahdi
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the best open source antispam?

Hello what is the best open source antispam? Thanks http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohammadmahdi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open Source

Hi Friends I'm new to this UNIX - I'm working on the porting project from Solaris To Linux i just want to map some commands from solaris to Linux so can any one please tell me how to get the source code of the commands like "ls", "cu", "du" Regards sabee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sabee.prakash
1 Replies

6. Fedora

Is UNIX an open source OS ?

Hi everyone, I know the following questions are noobish questions but I am asking them because I am confused about the basics of history behind UNIX and LINUX. Ok onto business, my questions are-: Was/Is UNIX ever an open source operating system ? If UNIX was... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
21 Replies
chkey(1)						      General Commands Manual							  chkey(1)

NAME
chkey - change user's secure RPC key pair SYNOPSIS
[ ] [ DESCRIPTION
is used to change a user's secure RPC public key and secret key pair. prompts for the old secure-rpc password and verifies that it is cor- rect by decrypting the secret key. If the user has not already used to decrypt and store the secret key with registers the secret key with the local daemon. If the secure- rpc password does not match the login password, prompts for the login password. uses the login password to encrypt the user's secret Diffie-Hellman (192 bit) cryptographic key. ensures that the login password and the secure-rpc password are kept the same. The key pair can be stored in the file (see publickey(4)), the NIS map, or entries in the LDAP directory. If a new secret key is gener- ated, it will be registered with the local daemon. If the source of the is not specified with the option, consults the entry in the name service switch configuration file (see nss- witch.conf(4)). If the entry specifies one and only one source, then will change the key in the specified name service. However, if mul- tiple name services are listed, cannot decide which source to update and will display an error message. The user should specify the source explicitly with the option. Non root users are not allowed to change their key pair in the file. Options Re-encrypt the existing secret key with the user's login password. Update the NIS database. Update the database. Update the LDAP database. WARNINGS
HP-UX 11i Version 2 is the last HP-UX release on which NIS+ is supported. LDAP is the recommended replacement for NIS+. HP fully supports the industry standard naming services based on LDAP. AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. FILES
SEE ALSO
keylogin(1), keylogout(1), keyserv(1M), newkey(1M), nsswitch.conf(4), publickey(4). chkey(1)