Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting reading from stdin in a shell script Post 302331138 by disem on Friday 3rd of July 2009 05:59:49 PM
Old 07-03-2009
keep it simple people..

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Converts all lowercase text from
# stdin to uppercase
#
tr '[:lower:]' '[:upper:]' < /dev/stdin

# edward
# ebaddouh@gmail.com

you should call your script as follow:

Code:
$ echo "keep it simple" | myscript.sh
KEEP IT SIMPLE

cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a table in a shell script

Dear all: I want to write a script capable of reading specific rows and collumns of a table, into a variable. Just imagine i have a file named table.dat which contains: GENERAL INFORMATION Col 1 Col2 Col3 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 What i want to do... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: luiscarvalheiro
13 Replies

2. Programming

Help:error in reading from stdin

void redirect(int argc, char *argv) { int flag; if (strcmp(argv, ">") == 0) flag = 1; else if (strcmp(argv, "<") == 0) flag = 2; else if (strcmp(argv, ">>") == 0) flag = 3; else printf("Something Wrong,Please Check!\n"); switch (flag) {... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

file reading through shell script

For reading a file through shell script I am using yhe code : while read line do echo $line done<data.txt It reads all the line of that file data.txt. Content of data.txt looks like: code=y sql=y total no of sql files=4 a.sql b.sql c.sql d.sql cpp=n c=y total no of c files=1 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dip
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot redirect to STDIN in a shell script

I am unable to use STDIn redirection with < (commands) When I do the following, both approaches work and give the same results: 1. $ printf "aaa\nbbb\n" > file1 $ printf "111\n222\n" > file2 $ cat file1 file2 aaa bbb 111 2222. $ cat <(printf "aaa\nbbb\n") <(printf "111\n222\n") aaa... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: metaltree
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from Keyboard - Shell Script

How do i read from kb using shell script but i need to read it from same line. Script :- echo "Please Enter Your Choice " read CHOICE But it goes to next line i need it to read it next to Choice and not new line. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script - paralllel reading problem

I have a shell script which has awk utlilty,also,in it. This a single script that many other jobs (informatica) using. Each job ll generate a log file. This script will read the particular log file and need to give output. The log file is act as input file for the script. So , a single script used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to pass multiple stdin to prorgam?

Running on AIX 5.3L. I have a program "foo" written in Fortran that requires 3 levels of inputs from stdin (command prompt). > foo Enter Input 1: a Enter Input 2: b Enter Input 3: c running foo success! > How do I get a shell script to run this automatically? > echo "a" | foo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: discoganya
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script hangs when reading from stdin

script: while read inputline; do if ; then if ; then break fi fi done Looks like the script hangs when stdin is empty or contains space. Any ideas on how to circumvent this? is it possible to use getline to process stdin content? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading arguments for a shell script from file

I have a shell script that takes 2 arguments. I will have to execute this script multiple times with different values for the arguments. for example, ./shscript env1 value1 ./shscript env1 value2 ./shscript env2 value3 ./shscript env3 value4 ./shscript env1 value5 ./shscript env3... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
24 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script reading file slow

I have shell program as below #!/bin/sh echo ======= LogManageri start ========== #This directory is getting the raw data from remote server Raw_data=/opt/ftplogs # This directory is ready for process the data Processing_dir=/opt/processing_dir # This directory is prcoessed files and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
4 Replies
EVAL(3) 								 1								   EVAL(3)

eval - Evaluate a string as PHP code

SYNOPSIS
mixed eval (string $code) DESCRIPTION
Evaluates the given $code as PHP. Caution The eval(3) language construct is very dangerous because it allows execution of arbitrary PHP code. Its use thus is discouraged. If you have carefully verified that there is no other option than to use this construct, pay special attention not to pass any user provided data into it without properly validating it beforehand. PARAMETERS
o $code - Valid PHP code to be evaluated. The code mustn't be wrapped in opening and closing PHP tags, i.e. 'echo "Hi!";' must be passed instead of '<? echo "Hi!"; >'. It is still possible to leave and reenter PHP mode though using the appropriate PHP tags, e.g. 'echo "In PHP mode!"; ?>In HTML mode!<? echo "Back in PHP mode!";'. Apart from that the passed code must be valid PHP. This includes that all statements must be properly terminated using a semicolon. 'echo "Hi!"' for example will cause a parse error, whereas 'echo "Hi!";' will work. A return statement will immediately terminate the evaluation of the code. The code will be exe- cuted in the scope of the code calling eval(3). Thus any variables defined or changed in the eval(3) call will remain visible after it terminates. RETURN VALUES
eval(3) returns NULL unless return is called in the evaluated code, in which case the value passed to return is returned. If there is a parse error in the evaluated code, eval(3) returns FALSE and execution of the following code continues normally. It is not possible to catch a parse error in eval(3) using set_error_handler(3). EXAMPLES
Example #1 eval(3) example - simple text merge <?php $string = 'cup'; $name = 'coffee'; $str = 'This is a $string with my $name in it.'; echo $str. " "; eval("$str = "$str";"); echo $str. " "; ?> The above example will output: This is a $string with my $name in it. This is a cup with my coffee in it. NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. Tip As with anything that outputs its result directly to the browser, the output-control functions can be used to capture the output of this function, and save it in a string (for example). Note In case of a fatal error in the evaluated code, the whole script exits. SEE ALSO
call_user_func(3). PHP Documentation Group EVAL(3)