Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: monitor directory events
Operating Systems AIX monitor directory events Post 302330662 by pbillast on Thursday 2nd of July 2009 02:43:21 AM
Old 07-02-2009
monitor directory events

I'm am looking for a cheap way to trigger a script when a new file is written in a specific directory. AIX 5.3. It is a production system, so no kernel patching (i.e. inotify).
Filemon and audtiing are too expensive.
Thanks in advance.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Monitor which users enter my home directory

Hi, I would like to monitor which users enter my home directory. Is it possible to write a script or code to do this. I donot have admin privileges. I have given read permissions to access my home directory. Any pointers in this direction is helpful! Thanks, Pradeep Ps: I use the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnpradeep
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hep with script to monitor directory

Hello, I am a newbie who is attempting to write a script to monitor a directory for a set of 3 files that I am expecting to get ftp'd. Occasionally, we suspend operations for maintenance etc. but we still get the files so there can be more than 1 set. If there is more than 1 set, I would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmf00186
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to monitor directory

What is the best way for a script to run to monitor a directory for the presence of files and then perform a function afterwords? I was hoping to have it continually run and sleep until it detects that files are present in the directory, then break out of the loop and go on to the next step. ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: nulinux
17 Replies

4. HP-UX

Monitor file changed / created events on big FS

Hi all, The configuration: We are useing a HP-UX Server with vxfs File System. The files on this server have normally a umask of 022 (owned by a administrative account) users who have write access to certain files get custom ACL entries that add these rights for the specific user. Now a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magics
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor capacity of directory

Good morning. I have been attempting to find a way to monitor the capacity of a directory so that when it reaches 80% or higher I can send an event. I was able to find a script that does this for the whole drive by I can not seem to figure out how to do this for just a single directory. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Monitor directory and email

Hello all, Can anyone please guide / help me in the following task.... I have a directory where some external users will upload pdf files. The filename of these pdf will be of a particular format (<id>-<first name>_<last name>_<some number>.pdf) I want to make a script such that it takes... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhawalkv
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory Monitor in KSh

Hi, I need to write a directory monitor, i.e. a korn shell script which would Report changes to the directory contents, like: added file1, deleted file2, updated file3 , created subdir (optional)... There is no specific file pattern. So far I have written a little script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: olegkon
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to monitor size in directory

i'm trying to find the most efficient way to monitor specific files in different directories in one go. /var/log/ /var/app/ /var/db/ each one of these directories can have subdirectories which need to be looked into as well. I want to find any file in this directory that has the name... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies
dpkg-trigger(1) 						    dpkg suite							   dpkg-trigger(1)

NAME
dpkg-trigger - a package trigger utility SYNOPSIS
dpkg-trigger [option...] trigger-name dpkg-trigger [option...] command DESCRIPTION
dpkg-trigger is a tool to explicitly activate triggers and check for its support on the running dpkg. This can be used by maintainer scripts in complex and conditional situations where the file triggers, or the declarative activate triggers control file directive, are insufficiently rich. It can also be used for testing and by system administrators (but note that the triggers won't actually be run by dpkg-trigger). Unrecognized trigger name syntaxes are an error for dpkg-trigger. COMMANDS
--check-supported Check if the running dpkg supports triggers (usually called from a postinst). Will exit 0 if a triggers-capable dpkg has run, or 1 with an error message to stderr if not. Normally, however, it is better just to activate the desired trigger with dpkg-trigger. -?, --help Show the usage message and exit. --version Show the version and exit. OPTIONS
--admindir=dir Change the location of the dpkg database. The default location is /var/lib/dpkg. --by-package=package Override trigger awaiter (normally set by dpkg through the DPKG_MAINTSCRIPT_PACKAGE environment variable of the maintainer scripts, naming the package to which the script belongs, and this will be used by default). --no-await This option arranges that the calling package T (if any) need not await the processing of this trigger; the interested package(s) I, will not be added to T's trigger processing awaited list and T's status is unchanged. T may be considered installed even though I may not yet have processed the trigger. --await This option does the inverse of --no-await (since dpkg 1.17.21). It is currently the default behavior. --no-act Just test, do not actually change anything. EXIT STATUS
0 The requested action was successfully performed. Or a check or assertion command returned true. 1 A check or assertion command returned false. 2 Fatal or unrecoverable error due to invalid command-line usage, or interactions with the system, such as accesses to the database, memory allocations, etc. ENVIRONMENT
DPKG_ADMINDIR If set and the --admindir option has not been specified, it will be used as the dpkg data directory. SEE ALSO
dpkg(1), deb-triggers(5), /usr/share/doc/dpkg-dev/triggers.txt.gz. 1.19.0.5 2018-04-16 dpkg-trigger(1)