Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unable to access TAR file
Operating Systems HP-UX Unable to access TAR file Post 302330658 by rakeshawasthi on Thursday 2nd of July 2009 02:27:36 AM
Old 07-02-2009
If your tar filename has special characters, you will have a problem....
redirect the output of ls to a file and see what you get.
ls > newfile

one more thing u need to use
Code:
tar -xvf <tar-file> to untar and tar -cvf <tar-name> <file> to tar the file....

Not having execute permission, does not matter.
You dont use gzip or gunzip for that, do you?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Unable to access home area

Good morning, I have a solaris 8 machine (Sunblade 1000) that is configured with NIS, I have checked everything I can think of to make sure everything is correctly configured which it appears it is but when I try to log into CDE it says it is unable to access my home area and it also does the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mr Pink
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to access variable outside loop

I am unable to access the value set inside the loop from outside loop . Thought of taking this to forum , I had seen other replies also , where a pipe takes the execution to another shell and mentioned thats the reason we do not get the variable outside loop . But I am getting an issue and I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Armaan_S
1 Replies

4. Solaris

unable to access infodoc!!

Hi, I am refered to see Infodoc 80854. but I am not able to access from sun.com. Is there any precedure to view these?. Please guide me. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bpsunadm
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar: unable to specify archive name with -p option

Hi, When I use -p option(preserve permissions) while creating tar archives, it throws error and creates archive in the name of 'p'. But without -p option I am able to create archive name as I mentioned. how do I work it out with --preserve-permissions? Any help is much appreciated. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learn more
3 Replies

6. AIX

P550 Unable to access Console

I have recently aquired the following machine: IBM,9113-550 Up until yesterday we could connect a dumb terminal to serial port 1 and get console login. However the dumb terminal died. We are now using a laptop with a null modem cable attached to serial port 1. This works perfectly for all of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rsw7724
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar unable to use command

Hello all... i am unable to use tar commands on my intel machine in solaris 10 by tying this "tar cvf /dev/rmt/mydata.tar/mydata" and created mydata directory, msg is "No:Missing Files" Please advise (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijaySolaris
5 Replies

8. HP-UX

Unable to create a tar file due to link

Hi, I am trying to tar a directory structure. but unable to do due to a symbolic link. Please help indomt@behpux $ tar -cvf test.tar /home/indomt a /home/indomt symbolic link to /dxdv/03/ap1dm1 Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable To access array in awk

Hi, i have the following code in which i am passing array tldn in awk using -v option & despite of that condition is not getting matched,can somebody suggest how to handle shell arrays in awk tcount=(9875 9667) awk -F"\t" -v ltldn="${tldn}" 'NR==FNR {POSTPAIDMDNS=$2"|"$3;next} ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
6 Replies

10. HP-UX

Unable to restore *.tar file

I tarred a directory to a different location. I then deleted the original directory. Now I need to restore the directory, and I am unable to do so (The contents do not get restored). However, when I type tar -tvf <tarfile), the list of contents are displayed : # tar -tvf lhs20170405.tar... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
7 Replies
th_get_pathname(3)						  C Library Calls						th_get_pathname(3)

NAME
th_get_pathname, th_get_uid, th_get_gid, th_get_mode, th_get_crc, th_get_size, th_get_mtime, th_get_devmajor, th_get_devminor, th_get_linkname - extract individual fields of a tar header TH_ISREG, TH_ISLNK, TH_ISSYM, TH_ISCHR, TH_ISBLK, TH_ISDIR, TH_ISFIFO - determine what kind of file a tar header refers to TH_ISLONGNAME, TH_ISLONGLINK - determine whether the GNU extensions are in use SYNOPSIS
#include <libtar.h> char *th_get_linkname(TAR *t); char *th_get_pathname(TAR *t); mode_t th_get_mode(TAR *t); uid_t th_get_uid(TAR *t); gid_t th_get_gid(TAR *t); int th_get_crc(TAR *t); off_t th_get_size(TAR *t); time_t th_get_mtime(TAR *t); major_t th_get_devmajor(TAR *t); minor_t th_get_devminor(TAR *t); int TH_ISREG(TAR *t); int TH_ISLNK(TAR *t); int TH_ISSYM(TAR *t); int TH_ISCHR(TAR *t); int TH_ISBLK(TAR *t); int TH_ISDIR(TAR *t); int TH_ISFIFO(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGNAME(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGLINK(TAR *t); VERSION
This man page documents version 1.2 of libtar. DESCRIPTION
The th_get_*() functions extract individual fields from the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_IS*() macros are used to evaluate what kind of file is pointed to by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_ISLONGNAME() and TH_ISLONGLINK() macros evaluate whether or not the GNU extensions are used by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. This is only relevant if the TAR_GNU option was used when tar_open() was called. SEE ALSO
tar_open(3) University of Illinois Jan 2001 th_get_pathname(3)