Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Understanding Logic and Flow better Post 302330369 by otheus on Wednesday 1st of July 2009 04:07:19 AM
Old 07-01-2009
Quote:
"Does anybody have some tips on understanding and mapping out the logic and flow of scripts"
First, you're rambling; get some sleep (if you can after 3 pots of coffee).

Second, "scripts" are usually executed in order the lines appear in the program, with the exception of things like loops. SH and derivatives (bash, zsh) handle functions, and these functions need to be defined before they are invoked. Other than that, it's pretty straight-forward.

*Sigh* then again, I've been coding since I was 10.

Third: You must understand Binary Logic (aka, Boolean Logic). The keys are understanding the basic operators: OR, AND, NOT. If you don't understand these correctly, you'll have a hard time. In most modern languages, including shell scripting, perl, and C, the operands can be expressions which means in the case of shell scripting, a program that returns an exit code.

So fourth, you have to understand that programs return exit codes. If the exit code is numerically 0, that means true. (0 for true is known sometimes as "negative logic").

If you are visually oriented, this tutorial might help.
I googled around and found this video which might help: YouTube - Prelude to Computer Science - 6: Binary Logic and YouTube - Prelude to Computer Science - 7: Logic Gates

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

logic understanding for inter client chat server

hello everyone, i am making chat server in linux using c. i have made programs in which group chat can take place between multiple clients but i am not able to understand how to make 2 particular clients chat with each other. please help!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sweetbella
1 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help understanding aspell logic

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am working on a script to create a spell check assignment. I have the code written , but it is not working. To... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikkoNIU
1 Replies
SG(1)								   User Commands							     SG(1)

NAME
sg - execute command as different group ID SYNOPSIS
sg [-] [group [-c ] command] DESCRIPTION
The sg command works similar to newgrp but accepts a command. The command will be executed with the /bin/sh shell. With most shells you may run sg from, you need to enclose multi-word commands in quotes. Another difference between newgrp and sg is that some shells treat newgrp specially, replacing themselves with a new instance of a shell that newgrp creates. This doesn't happen with sg, so upon exit from a sg command you are returned to your previous group ID. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: SYSLOG_SG_ENAB (boolean) Enable "syslog" logging of sg activity. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
id(1), login(1), newgrp(1), su(1), gpasswd(1), group(5), gshadow(5). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 SG(1)