Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu device size mismatch after mounting Post 302330309 by rac_oradba on Tuesday 30th of June 2009 08:10:45 PM
Old 06-30-2009
device size mismatch after mounting

Hi,
I have a created a logical partition sda5 in ubuntu server 9.0.4.
which is
Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00053d78

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 1216 9767488+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 1217 1702 3903795 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda3 1703 30401 230524717+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 1703 30401 230524686 83 Linux

formatted the device as mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sda5
then i mounted it on to a directory which belongs to root user.

once I mounted the /dev/sda5 device on to a local directory.
I am seeing that the filesystem size is way too difference than what i have created.
/dev/sda5 10325748 1098212 8703016 12% /var/lib/vmware/vmwarehosts

Can somebody please let me know where i am going wrong here. why am i not seeing the full 230 gigs which shows in fdisk.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

scsi sda device not mounting !!

I have a small scsi memory disk device that my computer claims is a /dev/sda mount type.. and I have mounted it in the past.. but I just recently reinstalled my whole system to check out a couple of things on my database. including the scsi device and now I can't get it to mount.. i tried to mount... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
20 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting a flash device

How do you mount a USB flash drive on Sun Blade 2000 or 2500 with solaris 8? Thanks in advance ;) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xeroxtechnician
1 Replies

3. Linux

mounting usb device

Hi Folks, I want to know how to mount usb device (cd,dvd etc) in linux, Regards, Manoj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Mounting a USB device with a predetermined name

When I attach a USB storage device to my Solaris server, the mount point is coming up as /rmdisk/unnamed_rmdisk Is there anyway I can have this device come up as a mounted device with a predetermined mount name eg /morespace rather than unnamed_rmdisk ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mounting a USB device with a persistent name

When I attach a USB storage device to my Solaris server, the mount point is coming up as /rmdisk/unnamed_rmdisk Is there anyway I can have this device come up as a mounted device with a predetermined mount name eg /morespace rather than unnamed_rmdisk ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP Perl Script File Size Mismatch.

Hello, I've written a Perl script that copies a set of files from one server to another. Prior to transferring a file the script gets the file size from the source system and compares this to the file size received in the target system. Except that the file sizes are slightly different. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbb
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Unable To Activate Ethernet Network Device in RHEL 5.5 - e100 device eth0 does not seem to be presen

Hi All, Could anyone please help to resolve the below problem. I installed RHEL5.5 in my desktop.But when i try to activate the ethernet connection then it gives me the error. I spent 2 days for the above and go through with several suggestion found by googling. But no luck. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanmoy
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies

9. AIX

AIX dump device not showing accurate size

I am trying to configure dump devices on my AIX server. Running 7100-03-04-1441. My dump device needs to be about 2GB in size. My PP Size is 1024MB, so I create the device with 2 PPs. When I run lslv on the dump device, it shows the 2 PPs, and a PP Size of 1024 megabytes. However, a dumpcheck... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: paqman
4 Replies
disktab(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							disktab(4)

NAME
disktab - Disk description file SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/disklabel.h> DESCRIPTION
The disktab database describes disk geometries and disk partition characteristics. It is used to initialize the disk label on the disk. The format is patterned after the termcap terminal database. Entries in a disktab file consist of a number of : (colon) separated fields. The first entry for each disk gives the names which are known for the disk, separated by | (vertical bar) characters. The last name given should be a long name fully identifying the disk. The following list indicates the normal values stored for each disk entry: Type Description str Type of disk (for example, removable, win- chester) str Type of controller (for example, SMD, ESDI, floppy) num Number of sectors per track num Number of tracks per cylinder num Total number of cylinders on the disk num Number of sectors per cylinder, nc*nt default num Number of sectors per unit, sc*nc default num Sector size in bytes, DEV_BSIZE default bool Controller supports bad144-style bad sector forwarding num Rotation speed, rpm, default 3600 num Sector skew per track, default 0 num Sector skew per cylinder, default 0 num Headswitch time, usec, default 0 num One-cylinder seek time, usec, default 0 num Sector interleave (n:1), default 1 num Drive-type-dependent parameters num Boot block size, default BBSIZE num Superblock size, default SBSIZE num Block size for partition `a' (bytes) num Block size for partition `d' (bytes) num Block size for partition `e' (bytes) num Block size for partition `f' (bytes) num Block size for partition `g' (bytes) num Block size for partition `h' (bytes) num Fragment size for partition `a' (bytes) num Fragment size for partition `d' (bytes) num Fragment size for partition `e' (bytes) num Fragment size for partition `f' (bytes) num Fragment size for partition `g' (bytes) num Fragment size for partition `h' (bytes) num Offset of partition `a' in sectors num Offset of partition `b' in sectors num Offset of partition `c' in sectors num Offset of partition `d' in sectors num Offset of partition `e' in sectors num Offset of partition `f' in sectors num Offset of partition `g' in sectors num Offset of partition `h' in sectors num Size of partition `a' in sectors num Size of partition `b' in sectors num Size of partition `c' in sectors num Size of partition `d' in sectors num Size of partition `e' in sectors num Size of partition `f' in sectors num Size of partition `g' in sectors num Size of partition `h' in sectors str Partition type of partition `a' (4.2BSD file system, swap, etc.) str Partition type of partition `b' str Partition type of partition `c' str Parti- tion type of partition `d' str Partition type of partition `e' str Partition type of partition `f' str Partition type of partition `g' str Partition type of partition `h' EXAMPLES
The following is an example disktab entry: rz25|RZ25|DEC RZ25 Winchester: :ty=winchester:dt=SCSI:ns#62:nt#9:nc#1492: :oa#0:pa#131072:ba#8192:fa#1024: :ob#131072:pb#262144:bb#8192:fb#1024: :oc#0:pc#832527:bc#8192:fc#1024: :od#393216:pd#146437:bd#8192:fd#1024: :oe#539656:pe#146437:be#8192:fe#1024: :of#686096:pf#146437:bf#8192:ff#1024: :og#393216:pg#439311:bg#8192:fg#1024: :oh#0:ph#0:bh#8192:fh#1024: FILES
/etc/disktab RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: getdiskbyname(3) Files: disklabel(4) Commands: disklabel(8), newfs(8) delim off disktab(4)