Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print to 2 files in awk if statement Post 302330201 by Donkey25 on Tuesday 30th of June 2009 12:23:40 PM
Old 06-30-2009
Print to 2 files in awk if statement

Hi all,

I have some code like this

Code:
awk -F, '{
if ($1==3)
print $2 > "output_file"
print "1" > "new_file"
}' "input_file"

When I check output_file this has the correct values in it. However the new_file has 1 in it for every line in the input_file. If the input file has 20 lins then my new_file will contain 20 1's. I only want it to print 1 if the first field in my input field is 3 - at the moment it prints 1 regardless of what is in the first field.

Can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print fields to multiple files?

I am trying to print the output of a command to two separate files. Is it possible to use awk to print $1 to one file and $2 to another file? Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TheCrunge
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK print lines into multiple files

Hi, i have an input text file like this: Student 1 maths science = Student 2 maths science = Student 3 maths science i would like to print each student information into separate files, each student id is separated by "=". (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saint2006
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print files with spaces using awk

When I use: find . -ls | awk 'BEGIN { OFS = ";"} {print $1,$2,$11}'I get a nice result, yet the files with spaces in it show only the first word and all other characters after the blank space are not printed. e.g. 'file with a blank space' is printed file 'file_with a blank space' is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakke
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sysdate inside awk print statement

Hi, I am using awk statement to extract data from a file and write a new file with certain columns rearranged and few hard coded values added to new file. Now i need to add a column with sysdate. can i do that inside the awk print statement? Now: nawk ' /^3/ BEGIN {FS=","}... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

use awk print statement for two files

Hello, is there a way to use the awk print statement on two files at once? I would like to take two columns from one file, and one column from another file and print them as consecutive columns to a third file. Seems simple...as in: file 1 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e file 2 1 t 2 u... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HugoHuhn
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK help print dirs with files in it

Hi, I'm writing some start of day checks for my work. I want to check some dirs for files that have been created longer than 10 mins ago and not been transfered. I've already used a find command to write a list of files that meet this criteria to a log called sod.log i.e. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elcounto
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk find in columns with "if then" statement and print results

I have a file1.txt file1.txt F-120009210","Felix","U-M-F-F-F-","white","yes","no","U-M-F-F-F-","Bristol","RI","true" F-120009213","Fluffy","U-F-","white","yes","no","M-F-","Warwick","RI","true" U-120009217","Lity","U-M-","grey","yes","yes","","Fall River","MA","true"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: charles33
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and print using awk

I have 2 files: email_1.out 1 abc@yahoo.com 2 abc_1@yahoo.com 3 abc_2@yahoo.com data_1.out <tr> 1 MAIL # 1 TO src_1 </tr> <tr><td class="hcol">col_id</td> <td class="hcol">test_dt</td> <td class="hcol">user_type</td> <td class="hcol">ct</td></tr> <tr><td... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explanation of print statement - awk

Hi, i'm just after a simple explanation of how the following awk oneliner works. gawk -F"," '{for(i=m;i<=n;i++)printf "%s" OFS,$i; print x}' m=1 n=70 OFS=, input.csv > output.csv In particular i'm trying to understand how the two print statements work? How is the "x" variable being assigned... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: theflamingmoe
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies
base64(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 base64(1)

NAME
base64 -- Encode and decode using Base64 representation SYNOPSIS
base64 [-d | -h | -v | -D] [-b count] [-i input_file] [-o output_file] DESCRIPTION
base64 encodes and decodes Base64 data, as specified in RFC 4648. With no options, base64 reads raw data from stdin and writes encoded data as a continuous block to stdout. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -b count --break=count Insert line breaks every count characters. Default is 0, which generates an unbroken stream. -d --debug Print verbose log messages during processing. -D --decode Decode incoming Base64 stream into binary data. -h --help Print usage summary and exit. -i input_file --input=input_file Read input from input_file. Default is stdin; passing - also represents stdin. -o output_file --output=output_file Write output to output_file. Default is stdout; passing - also represents stdout. -v --version Print build version and exit. SEE ALSO
openssl(1), wikipedia page <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base64>, RFC 4648 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4648> Mac OS X 10.7 February 8, 2011 Mac OS X 10.7