Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting trim spaces and replacing value Post 302329898 by Franklin52 on Monday 29th of June 2009 04:06:36 PM
Old 06-29-2009
Try this:

Code:
awk -F"~" '
{  for (i=1;i<=NF;i++) {
     if(length($i)>1) {
       sub(/^ */, "", $i);sub(/ *$/, "", $i)
     }
     sub("?","",$i)
   }
}1' OFS="~" origFile.txt > modFile.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim white spaces using awk

Hi, I have a CSV file with footer information as below. The third value is the number of records in the file. Sometimes it contains both leading and trailing white spaces which i want to trim using awk. C,FOOTER , 00000642 C,FOOTER , 00000707 C, FOOTER,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mona
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim trailing spaces from each line in a file

Hello folks, Is there a simple way to trim trailing spaces from each line a file. Please let me know. Regards, Tipsy. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Trim spaces at the end of line

Hi Friends, Can any one help with this issue: How to trim spaces for each line at the end, Like I have a file in this format. EMP1 SMITH 46373 5 STREET HOWARD 74636 EMP2 JONES 5454 { these are spaces ........} EMP3 SMITH 46373 5 STREET HOWARD 74636 EMP4 JON 2554 { these are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

TRIM spaces in shell

am get a value like ' 15' in a variable what is the easiest method i can follow to strip 15 out (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anumkoshy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in replacing spaces in a file

hi all this is the part i am facing a problem eg data: filename : tr1 + T 40 this is a sample record in that file ... the value of T can be anything, but will be a single character. i need to cut from field two, and i am using this command cut -d " " -f2 tr1 >tr3 and the o/p is ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sais
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing the Spaces

Hi, i have a tab dilimeted file.The records are :header is having column names.I am facing the following issue : I want to convert the spaces only for header file into "_" in the unix shell but the problem is that if i use sed command all the blank spaces are getting replaced by "_". For... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim spaces in a file

Hi, I'm new to shell programming. Need some help in the following requirement: I have a file origFile.txt with values: origFile.txt .00~ 145416.02~ xyz~ ram kishor .35~ 765.76~ anh reid~ kishna kerry Now each row in the file has value for 4 columns with "~" as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim spaces in unix for variable

HI Guys I have written a script using awk to split a file based on some identifier and renaming the file based on two values from specific length. ts a fixed width file. When I am trying to fetch the values a = substr($0,11,10) b = substr($0,21,5); i am getting spaces in a and b values .... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish8484
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim spaces

All, i am comparing the output of one command to a numberic if ] but my problem is the output of follwoing is but but has some leading columns. I don't have any problme in LINUX and HP-UX. But only in AIX i am getting the leading spaces. I have developed my script on LINUX but when... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcc50886
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Trim trailing spaces from file

I have a file like this. hari,corporationbank,2234356,syndicate ravi,indian bank,4567900000000,indianbank,accese raju,statebank of hyderabad,565866666666666,pause Here each record has different record length and there are blank spaces... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshari8888
8 Replies
XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)					      General Commands Manual						 XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)

NAME
xclip-copyfile, xclip-cutfile, xclip-pastefile - copy and move files via the X clipboard SYNOPSIS
xclip-copyfile [-p] FILES... xclip-cutfile [-p] FILES... xclip-pastefile DESCRIPTION
xclip-copyfile copies files into the X clipboard, recursing into directories. xclip-cutfile copies the files, but also deletes them afterwards. -p preserve path formation xclip-pastefile pastes the files out of the clipboard EXAMPLES
Copying a file to a remote host [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ echo "A file created on ${HOSTNAME}" > file1 [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ xclip-copyfile file1 [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ xclip-pastefile file1 [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ cat file1 A file created on maggie.lkpg.cendio.se Copying an entire tree structure [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ xclip-copyfile doc [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~/tmp]$ xclip-pastefile doc/ doc/letter-mom-april.txt doc/file1 doc/letter-dad-march.txt Copying files with preserved path information [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ xclip-copyfile -p /etc/sysconfig/grub tar: Removing leading `/' from member names [sofie.homeip.net ~/tmp]$ xclip-pastefile etc/sysconfig/grub [sofie.homeip.net ~/tmp]$ ls etc/sysconfig/grub etc/sysconfig/grub Moving files [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ ls letter-brother-may.txt letter-brother-may.txt [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ xclip-cutfile letter-brother-may.txt [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ ls letter-brother-may.txt ls: cannot access letter-brother-may.txt: No such file or directory [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ cd doc [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ xclip-pastefile letter-brother-may.txt AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Maximilian Gass <mxey@cloudconnected.org> for the Debian project. It may be used for everything else, of course. XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)