Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Problems with shared memory and lists Post 302329708 by mgessner on Monday 29th of June 2009 09:00:38 AM
Old 06-29-2009
Here's the problem: the pointers that malloc() returns are local to the address space of the process that called malloc(). Those values won't mean anything in the context of another process. Hence putting those numbers in shared memory and using them from another process will invoke undefined behaviour. If you're lucky, your program will then crash. If you're not lucky, you might cause a supernova somewhere (a bit of C humour).

So what you need to do is to allocate a separate chunk of shared memory, and write a "malloc" and "free" that use that pool of memory. In other words, you have to write a small memory allocator/deallocator that uses this shared memory pool, and then passes back offsets from. Since all of your objects are the same, this will be pretty trivial.

Notice I said "offsets" and not "addresses". I don't recall anywhere in anything I've ever read that guarantees that the shared memory will be assigned the same address in different processes. Assuming so, and using those values in your lists will likely lead you back to your original problem. So you will have to handle that problem in an intelligent way.

You can write this to be general (will handle any size allocation) or specific (only handles things of your struct Obj type). Either way is fine, but I think the exercise of writing the general will teach you more.

This is a fairly easy task, but there are some things to watch out for. I will give you two:

a) Only ONE process can initialize the shared memory pool. Start that process FIRST, initialize the pool, and THEN start the others. Otherwise, you'll potentially have multiple processes trashing your pool.

b) What happens if a process that is allocating something from this shared pool gets interrupted during the middle of an allocation, and another process also tries to allocate something from this shared pool. Warning: if you do this wrong, Bad Things will happen, and your mother will laugh at you. Note that accessing the list can ALSO lead to the same kinds of problems, because in the general case you don't necessarily know if another cooperating process has manipulated the list.

One other thing: in your post, you had:

Code:
*sh = *head;

This is wrong: a) you don't want to change the contents of sh, and b) you want head to point to sh, not the other way around.

HTH

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Shared memory

Dear Reader, Is is necessary to attach / dettach the shared memory segments for write operations , if more than one program is accessing same shared memory segments.. I have used semaphore mutex and still I'm getting segmentation fault when I write to the segment when other program is already... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joseph_shibu
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared memory shortage but lots of unused memory

I am running HP-UX B.11.11. I'm increasing a parameter for a database engine so that it uses more memory to buffer the disk drive (to speed up performance). I have over 5GB of memory not being used. But when I try to start the DB with the increased buffer parameter I get told. "Not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjcamaro
1 Replies

3. Linux

all about shared memory

Hi all :confused: , I am new to unix.I have been asked to implement shared memory in user's mode.What does this mean?What is the difference it makes in kernel mode and in users mode?What are the advantages of this impemenation(user's mode)? And also i would like to know why exactly shared... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaya2006
0 Replies

4. Programming

memory sharing - not shared memory -

hi, this is the problem: i want to swap a linked list between 4 processes (unrelated), is there any way i can do that just by sending a pointer to a structure? //example typedef struct node { int x; char c; struct node *next; } node; or i should send the items ( x,c ) by... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
9 Replies

5. Programming

Shared memory in shared library

I need to create a shared library to access an in memory DB. The DB is not huge, but big enough to make it cumbersome to carry around in every single process using the shared library. Luckily, it is pretty static information, so I don't need to worry much about synchronizing the data between... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
12 Replies

6. Programming

Shared memory for shared library

I am writing a shared library in Linux (but compatible with other UNIXes) and I want to allow multiple instances to share a piece of memory -- 1 byte is enough. What's the "best" way to do this? I want to optimize for speed and portability. Obviously, I'll have to worry about mutual exclusion. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
0 Replies

7. Programming

[C] Problems with shared memory

Hi everbody, i have a problem with shared memory and child-processes in C (unix). I have a server that do forks to create (N) child processes. This processes work with a shared "stuct" thanks to shared memory and a semaphore. The problem is when a child modify the shared memory and the others... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hurricane86
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared Memory

Hi, Using ipcs we can see shared memory, etc.. details. How can I add/remove shared memory(command name)? Thanks, Naga:cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
2 Replies

9. AIX

shared memory

1.How to know wich process is using the shared memory? 2.How to flush (release) the process from the shared memory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pchangba
1 Replies

10. Programming

Shared library with acces to shared memory.

Hello. I am new to this forum and I would like to ask for advice about low level POSIX programming. I have to implement a POSIX compliant C shared library. A file will have some variables and the shared library will have some functions which need those variables. There is one special... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjag
5 Replies
pthread_rwlockattr_getpshared(3T)										 pthread_rwlockattr_getpshared(3T)

NAME
pthread_rwlockattr_getpshared(), pthread_rwlockattr_setpshared() - get or set the process-shared attribute SYNOPSIS
PARAMETERS
attr Pointer to the read-write lock attributes object whose attributes are to be set/retrieved. pshared This parameter either specifies the new value of the process-shared attribute (set function) or points to the memory loca- tion where the process-shared attribute of attr is to be returned (get function). DESCRIPTION
The attributes object attr must have been previously initialized with the function before these functions are called. Read-Write locks can be used only by threads within the process or shared by threads in multiple processes. The process-shared attribute in a read-write lock attributes object describes who may use the read-write lock. The legal values for the process-shared attribute are: This option permits a read-write lock to be operated upon by any thread that has access to the memory where the read-write lock is allocated. The application is responsible for allocating the read-write lock in memory that multiple processes can access. The read-write lock can only be operated upon by threads created within the same process as the thread that initialized the read-write lock. If threads of differing processes attempt to operate on such read-write lock, the behavior is undefined. The default value of process-shared is is used to set the process-shared attribute in the initialized attributes object attr. The new value of the process-shared attribute of attr is set to the value specified in the pshared parameter. retrieves the value of the process-shared attribute from the read-write lock attributes object attr. The value of the process-shared attribute of attr is returned in the pshared parameter. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, and return zero. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error (the variable is not set). ERRORS
If any of the following occur, the and functions return the corresponding error number: is not defined and these functions are not supported. For each of the following conditions, if the condition is detected, the and functions return the corresponding error number: The value specified by attr is invalid. The value specified by pshared is not a legal value. The value pshared points to an illegal address. WARNINGS
If a read-write lock is created with the process-shared attribute defined as the cooperating processes should have access to the memory in which the read-write lock is allocated. AUTHOR
and were developed by X/Open. SEE ALSO
pthread_create(3T), pthread_rwlockattr_init(3T), pthread_rwlock_init(3T). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
Pthread Library pthread_rwlockattr_getpshared(3T)