Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting email to group-id is failing to receive Post 302329633 by Arunprasad on Monday 29th of June 2009 05:32:54 AM
Old 06-29-2009
Hi,

I am using mail command, i am not that much aware of sendmail.

here is my script:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
mailaddress=$(cat $HOME/email.txt)
(cat | mail -s "TESTING LOAD STATUS on `date`" "$mailaddress") <<EOD
ignore. this is a test mail
EOD

where the email.txt file contains:
Quote:
>cat $HOME/email.txt
arunprasad@mail.com,my.friends.group...garaj@mail.com
>
My script is taking the list of mail id's from email.txt file. However, the list contains a group id also and failed to send/receive. but the same was successfully received at arunprasad@mail.com - Individual mail id.

I have a question here. Is there any limitation in mail id what we are mentioning in mail command? Say for example 'my.friends.group.mail@mail.com' contains three periods - four words in a mail address. The same case is also applicable for individual mail id like 'arun.t.prasad.thangaraj@mail.com'. So i am suspecting this is not the issue with mail address type: whether group id or individual id. But seems like mail address length?

Please help me to figure out the problem.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can send but not receive email

Hi, One of the users in our company can send but not receive email. We are using SENDMAIL in conjunction with procmail. The funny thing is that all his sent email is in his /var/spool/mail but the email client does not pick anything up! He is using IMAP. Anyone see have any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

new to ldap, send email to a ou or group, and see a list from email client

hi, i'm running openldap on ubuntu 10.04, creating new items with apache directory studio (windows version). i use the ldap just as an address book to our small office (email clients are windows live mail 2009, 2011, microsoft outlook 2007 and 2010). a. i cant see a list of the contacts,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: V4705
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a script when I receive an email

Hi expert I wish to start a shell script when I receive an email. I modified the aliases file and I add this string as400nag: "|/home/nag-script/startstop/AS400-Boot.sh The solution works . When the as400nag user receive an email the /home/nag-script/startstop/AS400-Boot.sh starts .but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: emi65
3 Replies

4. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Have yet to receive activation email

Good Afternoon, I attempted to register on this forum yesterday using the username 'DBirks', however I have yet to receive the required activation email. I have checked both my inbox and junk e-mail folder on my email client as well as on owa, but I have not seen any sign of it. I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Unregistered
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Unable to receive mails from email relay server

Hi, I have reports that are generated in one server (10.61.1.108), hostname l28bi01. These reports are supposedly sent to a group of email addresses hourly via an email relay server. However, this is not happening. In sendmail.cf in bi01, the DS Smart Relay Host ip address is: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check email successful sent and receive

We have a unix/linux server , that send mass email from it , the emails will pass the smtp gateway , email server and sent to the client , but sometimes the client do not receive the mail , we do not know the reason and when it will happen . We would like to have a script that check when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust4
2 Replies
MAIL(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   MAIL(1)

NAME
mail - send and receive electronic mail SYNOPSIS
mail [-dpqrv] [-f file] [user] OPTIONS
-d Force use of the shell variable MAILER -f Use file instead of /usr/spool/mail/user as mailbox -p Print all mail and then exit -q Quit program if SIGINT received -r Reverse print order, i.e., print oldest first -v Verbose mode EXAMPLES
mail ast # Send a message to ast mail # Read your mail DESCRIPTION
Mail is an extremely simple electronic mail program. It can be used to send or receive email on a single MINIX system, in which case it functions as user agent and local delivery agent. If the flag MAILER is defined in mail.c, it can also call a transport agent to handle remote mail as well. No such agent is supplied with MINIX. When called by user with no arguments, it examines the mailbox /usr/spool/mail/user, prints one message (depending on the -r flag), and waits for one of the following commands: <newline> Go to the next message - Print the previous message !command Fork off a shell and execute command CTRL-D Update the mailbox and quit (same as q) d Delete the current message and go to the next one q Update the mailbox and quit (same as CTRL-D) p Print the current message again s [file] Save message in the named file x Exit without updating the mailbox To send mail, the program is called with the name of the recipient as an argument. The mail is sent, along with a postmark line containing the date. For local delivery, a file named after the recipient in the directory /usr/spool/mail must be writable. If the directory /usr/spool/mail does not exist then the mail is dumped on the console, so that system programs have a way to notify a user on a system that does not have a mail spool. MAIL(1)