Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris ssh Long time to return prompt. Post 302329601 by incredible on Monday 29th of June 2009 02:37:00 AM
Old 06-29-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozentin
You could also try 'ssh -vvv $user@$server' to see what ssh is doing for it authentication.

Once logged in check for
network speed/duplex settings 'dladm show-dev',
network errors via netstat
(or as shown here: dladm - Display Link status,speed,duplex,statistics,MTU | Sun Solaris System Admin), and
'svcs -xv' o/p.
I thought OP said that only after hitting the userid and password, the slowness is happening ??Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Carriage return on long awk operation

hello all I have long awk function that doing manipulations on text file but when I write the out put to new text file I have carriage return between 2 print commands How can I avoid this ? Here is my awk : echo $f | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

date and time on every time pressing return key

Hi all, I have a situation here, I want that every time when i press "enter key" in bash prompt i want the date command to be executed. i have tried to make some changes in "/etc/bashrc" but no luck. Thanx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xander
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How would you return how long a script runs for?

When running a ksh script, how would you time how long it took the script ran for? Is there a command that can capture this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Argument list too long - SSH

Hi I executed the code for file in `ls pdb*.ent` do new_name=`echo $file | sed 's/^pdb//;s/.ent/.txt/'` mv $file $new_name done Its giving error at ' ls pdb*.ent' argument list too long i have around 150000 entries please help Thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help - exec time too long

Dear everyone... thanks to this forum I am able to do everyday more and more complex scripts...but now I come up with problem with optimisation.. problem 1 - optimise: here is my code: while read number do nawk -F "|" -v... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulaziz
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script submitted using ssh does not return to command prompt

Gurus, I have written a shell script to backup a database and applications. This is how the script works: 1. As applications user (say applmgr), the main backup script, say backup.sh, is kicked off. 2. backup.sh does ssh to oracle user and kicks off the database backup using nohup and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunpraveen
1 Replies

7. Programming

Test SSH but do not return password prompt

Hello forum, I want to have a function to test for passwordless SSH setup. Pretty simple. However, what I'm finding difficult is to NOT return a password prompt to screen IF it's not in place. Here's the function: check_passwordless_ssh_working() #check passed parameter, assuming it is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: doonan_79
4 Replies

8. Solaris

SSH and telnet long delay to recieve prompt.

Hi guys. You'd have to excuse me a bit, as I'm a noob. I really try to avoid asking questions and do research for whatever linux issues that may arise. I am experiencing a long wait for the shell to come up when I ssh or telnet into a Sunos 5.10 environment. It takes 70 seconds to give me... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpenco
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add charactère before all line return by prompt?

For example, if i do ls I want to have a string like "<br> file1 ....... <br>file2 ..... <br>file3 ....." i think i ve to use xargs, but i can't find the solution. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cterra
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

First script in a long time

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on my script to grab time from our MDM... I blocked out all of the important stuff. I really appreciate any guidance, since I am long out of practice. #!/bin/bash serial=$1 # get last seen value of ipad lastseen=$(curl -s -X "GET"... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: andysensible
11 Replies
bge(7D) 																   bge(7D)

NAME
bge - SUNW,bge Gigabit Ethernet driver for Broadcom BCM57xx SYNOPSIS
/dev/bge* The bge Gigabit Ethernet driver is a multi-threaded, loadable, clonable, GLD-based STREAMS driver supporting the Data Link Provider Inter- face, dlpi(7P), on Broadcom BCM57xx (BCM5700/5701/5703/5704/5705/5705M/5714/5721/5751/5751M/5782/5788 on ) Gigabit Ethernet controllers fitted to the system motherboard. With the exception of BCM5700/BCM5701/BCM5704S, these devices incorporate both MAC and PHY functions and provide three-speed (copper) Ethernet operation on the RJ-45 connectors. (BCM5700/BCM5701/BCM5704S do not have a PHY integrated into the MAC chipset.) The bge driver functions include controller initialization, frame transmit and receive, promiscuous and multicast support, and error recov- ery and reporting. The bge driver and hardware support auto-negotiation, a protocol specified by the 1000 Base-T standard. Auto-negotiation allows each device to advertise its capabilities and discover those of its peer (link partner). The highest common denominator supported by both link partners is automatically selected, yielding the greatest available throughput, while requiring no manual configuration. The bge driver also allows you to configure the advertised capabilities to less than the maximum (where the full speed of the interface is not required), or to force a specific mode of operation, irrespective of the link partner's advertised capabilities. APPLICATION PROGRAMMING INTERFACE
The cloning character-special device, /dev/bge, is used to access all BCM57xx devices ( (BCM5700/5701/5703/5704, 5705/5714/5721/5751/5751M/5782 on ) fitted to the system motherboard. The bge driver is managed by the dladm(1M) command line utility, which allows VLANs to be defined on top of bge instances and for bge instances to be aggregated. See dladm(1M) for more details. You must send an explicit DL_ATTACH_REQ message to associate the opened stream with a particular device (PPA). The PPA ID is interpreted as an unsigned integer data type and indicates the corresponding device instance (unit) number. The driver returns an error (DL_ERROR_ACK) if the PPA field value does not correspond to a valid device instance number for the system. The device is initialized on first attach and de- initialized (stopped) at last detach. The values returned by the driver in the DL_INFO_ACK primitive in response to a DL_INFO_REQ are: o Maximum SDU is 1500 (ETHERMTU - defined in <sys/ethernet.h>). o Minimum SDU is 0. o DLSAP address length is 8. o MAC type is DL_ETHER. o SAP length value is -2, meaning the physical address component is followed immediately by a 2-byte SAP component within the DLSAP address. o Broadcast address value is the Ethernet/IEEE broadcast address (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF). Once in the DL_ATTACHED state, you must send a DL_BIND_REQ to associate a particular Service Access Point (SAP) with the stream. CONFIGURATION
By default, the bge driver performs auto-negotiation to select the link speed and mode. Link speed and mode can be any one of the follow- ing, (as described in the IEEE803.2 standard): o 1000 Mbps, full-duplex o 1000 Mbps, half-duplex o 100 Mbps, full-duplex o 100 Mbps, half-duplex o 10 Mbps, full-duplex o 10 Mbps, half-duplex The auto-negotiation protocol automatically selects: o Speed (1000 Mbps, 100 Mbps, or 10 Mbps) o Operation mode (full-duplex or half-duplex) as the highest common denominator supported by both link partners. Because the bge device supports all modes, the effect is to select the highest throughput mode supported by the other device. Alternatively, you can set the capabilities advertised by the bge device using ndd(1M). The driver supports a number of parameters whose names begin with adv_ (see below). Each of these parameters contains a boolean value that determines whether the device advertises that mode of operation. The adv_pause_cap indicates whether half/full duplex pause is advertised to link partner. And the adv_asym_pause_cap can be set to advertise to link partner that asymmetric pause is desired. In addition, bge uses adv_100T4_cap to advertise its 100T4 capabil- ity. The adv_autoneg_cap parameter controls whether autonegotiation is performed. If adv_autoneg_cap is set to 0, the driver forces the mode of operation selected by the first non-zero parameter in priority order as listed below: (highest priority/greatest throughput) adv_1000fdx_cap 1000Mbps full duplex adv_1000hdx_cap 1000Mpbs half duplex adv_100fdx_cap 100Mpbs full duplex adv_100hdx_cap 100Mpbs half duplex adv_10fdx_cap 10Mpbs full duplex adv_10hdx_cap 10Mpbs half duplex (lowest priority/least throughput) For example, to prevent the device 'bge2' from advertising gigabit capabilities, enter (as super-user): # ndd -set /dev/bge2 adv_1000hdx_cap 0 # ndd -set /dev/bge2 adv_1000fdx_cap 0 All capabilities default to enabled. Note that changing any capability parameter causes the link to go down while the link partners renego- tiate the link speed/duplex using the newly changed capabilities. The current settings of the parameters may be found using ndd -get. In addition, the driver exports the current state, speed, duplex set- ting, and working mode of the link via ndd parameters (these are read only and may not be changed). For example, to check link state of device bge0: # ndd -get /dev/bge0 link_status 1 # ndd -get /dev/bge0 link_speed 100 # ndd -get /dev/bge0 link_duplex 2 # ndd -get /dev/bge0 link_rx_pause 1 # ndd -get /dev/bge0 link_tx_pause 1 The output above indicates that the link is up and running at 100Mbps full-duplex with its rx/tx direction pause capability. In addition, the driver exports its working mode by loop_mode. If it is set to 0, the loopback mode is disabled. /dev/bge* Character special device. /kernel/drv/sparcv9/bge SPARC bge driver binary. /kernel/drv/amd64/bge kernel module for 64-bit platform /platform/i86pc/kernel/drv/bge 32-bit bge driver binary. /platform/i86pc/kernel/drv/amd64/bge 64-bit bge driver binary. See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |SPARC, | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ dladm(1M), attributes(5), streamio(7I), dlpi(7P) Writing Device Drivers STREAMS Programming Guide Network Interfaces Programmer's Guide 23 Feb 2005 bge(7D)