Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Use Sparc HD in Linux PC?
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Use Sparc HD in Linux PC? Post 302329556 by Annihilannic on Sunday 28th of June 2009 08:55:13 PM
Old 06-28-2009
Strange to ressurrect such an old thread that the OP seems to have disappeared from anyway...

Linux does not expect an MBR. In fact, by default, when you initialise disks for use by Veritas Volume Manager, it uses Sun disk labels (which surprised me), e.g.

Code:
Disk /dev/sdb8 (Sun disk label): 30 heads, 128 sectors, 55508 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 3840 * 512 bytes

Device Flag    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb8p3  u          0     55508 106575360    5  Whole disk
/dev/sdb8p8  u          0     55508 106575360    f  Unknown

The endianness of the data on the filesystem is only an issue if you are trying to read it programmatically (i.e. reading multiple byte values), and can be fixed programmatically if desired... however ASCII will still be in the correct order.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C compiler to build Sparc/Solaris binaries on Linux

Just that the Subject says. I am looking for a C compiler for Linux x86 that will allow me to compile a C source code file and the resulting binary will be able to run on a Sparc running Solaris. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyonsd
2 Replies

2. Solaris

How can I mount a ufs filesystem on a solaris 10 sparc onto a Linux server

Hi there, I am trying to mount a SAN volume (which is mapped to solaris sparc) partitioned with ufs filesystem onto a linux (intel processor 64bit) server. *I have re-compiled the linux kernel t support ufs fstype with ro mount support. filesystem on solaris:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilan
3 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Ubuntu for SPARC: Linux freezes (ALOT!)

Hi, I am wanting to get some input on an issue that I have encountered with Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy. When installing Linux & booting Linux it freezes almost all the time, I don't know if it is the shell or whatever, but after SILO, it goes wild of freezes, then rebooting all the time. (The display... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: huffandy
0 Replies

4. Linux

SPARC, Linux, RAID1, SILO

Hi, I've been searching for answers for two days and didn't find any definite answers on building RAID1 on SPARC. The main problem was with SILO (Sparc Improved boot LOader): can it boot from RAID partition or not. So I just tried it and it works. I've done this on Debian, but it should be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luka
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can I emulate solaris/sparc on virtualbox? Or other emulator to run solaris for sparc in my win7 PC?

Hi Gurus can I emulate solaris/sparc on virtualbox? Or other emulator to run solaris for sparc in my win7 PC? regards, Israel. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
9 Replies

6. Linux

Oracle Linux on SPARC

Hi Oracle Linux users, You can probably guess from the title what the question is: Does anyone know if Oracle Linux (the Unbreakable variety I think that is) comes in a SPARC release or, if not, will there be one some time soon ? Many thanks, P;):D:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: patcom
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Migrating Oracle on Solaris Sparc to Linux RHEL 7 VM

Hi Gurus, We are migrating Oracle from Solaris to RHEL 7 and looking for Solaris equivalent commands for Linux. we are using lot of korn shell scripts built on Solaris so, i am looking for equivalent commands which are using in Solaris.. Could you please help me here by proving any info... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mssprince
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Migrating Oracle on Solaris Sparc to Linux RHEL 7 VM

Hi Gurus, We are migrating Oracle from Solaris to RHEL 7 and looking for Solaris equivalent commands for Linux. we are using lot of korn shell scripts built on Solaris so, i am looking for equivalent commands which are using in Solaris.. Could you please help me here by proving any info ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mssprince
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Start /SYS on SUN SPARC does not start machine [SUN SPARC ENTERPRISE T-5240]

-> start /SYS Are you sure you want to start /SYS (y/n)? y Starting /SYS ]-> show HOST /HOST Targets: bootmode diag domain Properties: autorestart = reset autorunonerror = false bootfailrecovery = poweroff ... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: z_haseeb
29 Replies
createhdf(1)							     Emulators							      createhdf(1)

NAME
createhdf - Create a blank IDE hard disk image in .hdf format SYNOPSIS
createhdf [ -c ] [ -s ] cylinders heads sectors file DESCRIPTION
createhdf creates a blank image of an IDE hard disk in .hdf format for use with Sinclair ZX Spectrum emulators. OPTIONS
-c specifies that the .hdf image should be created in `compact' mode, where only the low byte of every word is stored in the image. This is useful for saving space if the hard disk image is for use with an interface which accesses only the low byte of every word. -s specifies that the .hdf image should not be created as a sparse file. Normally, createhdf will attempt to create the hard disk image as a `sparse file', where the operating system knows that the file consists mostly of zero bytes and fills those in without using any space in the file. This option disables this. (There's nothing `magic' about this: if data is written to the file, it will take up space just like any other data; it's only empty space which is synthesised by the operating system). -v version specifies the version of .hdf image to be created. Valid values are `1.0' for a version 1.0 file and `1.1' for a version 1.1 file. Defaults to creating version 1.1 files. cylinders specifies the number of cylinders in the image. heads specifies the number of heads in the image. sectors specifies the number of sectors in the image. file specifies the file to which the image should be written. BUGS
None known. SEE ALSO
fuse(1), fuse-utils(1), libspectrum(3) The .hdf format specification, at http://www.ramsoft.bbk.org/hdfform.html. The comp.sys.sinclair Spectrum FAQ, at http://www.worldofspectrum.org/faq/index.html. AUTHOR
Philip Kendall (philip-fuse@shadowmagic.org.uk). Version 1.0.0 16th December, 2010 createhdf(1)