Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help need to cut the first word of a line in text file Post 302329357 by Scott on Friday 26th of June 2009 06:28:14 PM
Old 06-26-2009
Hi.

You could try

Code:
cut -d" " -f2- file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a shell script pull the first word (or nth word) off each line of a text file?

Greetings. I am struggling with a shell script to make my life simpler, with a number of practical ways in which it could be used. I want to take a standard text file, and pull the 'n'th word from each line such as the first word from a text file. I'm struggling to see how each line can be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricky
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut last line of a word

Hi all, want to delete a crahecter from each line..? how can i do it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bullz26
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut a field of a line in a text file?

Hi, I have text file which contains lines like : a/a/a/a/.project b/b/b/b/b/.project c/c/c/.project d/.project e/e/e/e/.project i want for all lines the last word .project should be removed and the file should look like : a/a/a/a/ b/b/b/b/b/ c/c/c/ .... how to proceed... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut first line only from a text near a specific column without cutting a word

First I have to say thank you to this community and this forum. You helped me very much builing several useful scripts. Now, I can't get a solution the following problem, I'm stuck somehow. Maybe someone has an idea. In short, I dump a site via lynx and pipe the output in a file. I need to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to cut the first word in Message Text

Hi, In my shell script, I am connecting to database and querying multiple columns in a table. MESSAGE_TEXT=`sqlplus -s /nolog <<end_log_stmt set heading off set feedback off set verify off set termout off set pages 0 CONNECT APPS/$USER_PWD Select order_number, id, error_message... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balajiora
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the second line in a text file

Hi I have some problem to cut out the second line in a output file and send to a new file it's a #!/bin/bash script 1 something 2 something 3 something and after I cut 1 something 3 something New file 2 something Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pelle
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash]Attempting to Merge text from one file into another file at the line directly under a word

Hello, This is my first post on the forums. So I want to start by thanking anyone who is kind enough to read this post and offer advise. I hope to be an active contributor now that I've found these forums. I have an issue that I figure would be a good first post.. I have 2 text files... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: efciem
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find and print the last word of each line from a text file

Can any one help us in finding the the last word of each line from a text file and print it. eg: 1st --> aaa bbbb cccc dddd eeee ffff ee 2nd --> aab ered er fdf ere ww ww f the o/p should be a below. ee f (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveen_sangam
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the fifth line of a text file into a shell script and trim the line to extract a WORD

FOLKS , i have a text file that is generated automatically of an another korn shell script, i want to bring in the fifth line of the text file in to my korn shell script and look for a particular word in the line . Can you all share some thoughts on this one. thanks... Venu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep to isolate a text file line and Awk to select a word?

I am looking at using grep to locate the line in the text file and them use awk to select a word or words out of it. I know awk needs -v to allow a variable to be used, but also needs -F to allow the break up of the sentence and allow the location of separate variables. $line = grep "1:" File |... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ironguru
8 Replies
DIFF3(1)							   User Commands							  DIFF3(1)

NAME
diff3 - compare three files line by line SYNOPSIS
diff3 [OPTION]... MYFILE OLDFILE YOURFILE DESCRIPTION
Compare three files line by line. -e --ed Output unmerged changes from OLDFILE to YOURFILE into MYFILE. -E --show-overlap Output unmerged changes, bracketing conflicts. -A --show-all Output all changes, bracketing conflicts. -x --overlap-only Output overlapping changes. -X Output overlapping changes, bracketing them. -3 --easy-only Output unmerged nonoverlapping changes. -m --merge Output merged file instead of ed script (default -A). -L LABEL --label=LABEL Use LABEL instead of file name. -i Append `w' and `q' commands to ed scripts. -a --text Treat all files as text. -T --initial-tab Make tabs line up by prepending a tab. --diff-program=PROGRAM Use PROGRAM to compare files. -v --version Output version info. --help Output this help. If a FILE is `-', read standard input. AUTHOR
Written by Randy Smith. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. You may redistribute copies of this program under the terms of the GNU General Public License. For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for diff3 is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and diff3 programs are properly installed at your site, the command info diff should give you access to the complete manual. diffutils 2.8.1 April 2002 DIFF3(1)