Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Batch rename recursively
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Batch rename recursively Post 302329105 by rakeshawasthi on Friday 26th of June 2009 01:10:59 AM
Old 06-26-2009
Did you try anything? Atleast you should.
the below code will work but you try to write the for loop for this, atleast.
Code:
 sed 's/_/-/g'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename in batch

example test1 will have m1234567.12a I would like to rename in batch but I don't Please help me on this. cd /a1/a2/a3 test1=$(basename /a1/a2/a3/*.*) >> /tmp/t echo $test1 echo "Extracting 8 th position" >> /tmp/t2 awk '{print substr($1,8,1); }' $test1 >> /tmp/t3 echo "extraction ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kathy18
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rename the file in batch

In my dir there are files like a.xml b.xml abnc.xml 12.abc.xml 12.anc.sfoioi.xml I need to remove .xml from all the files Is there any direct way without using any for/do loop Right now i am using for file in * do ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files recursively

hi I have files named 123_234_aaa.jpg 234_231_345.jpg and i wish to rename these files to aaa.jpg and 345.jpg. i.e inital number,_,next number should be removed form the file name. Please let me know how can i do it. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch rename files after internal search pattern

Hello all I am trying to do a script that would allow me to mass rename files after a grep search within them. They are XML files and the pattern I would like to append to the file name is easy to find (e.g. <filename>foo</filename>), but I can't for the life of me find out how to do it and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aavv
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

try to batch rename using sed (if this is best)

hi gooday I need some help with a rename I am attempting. I'd like to rename a bunch of files in a folder example list.dat.old to list_N.dat query.dat.old to query_N.dat note the two periods in (.dat.old) to become _N.dat I tried using sed like this ls *.dat.old | sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnstrong
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively rename some files

Hello, I have one directory with 3 level sub-directories, and about houndard files under those directories. I need a shell script to rename all patern mateched directories and files. For example: the patern is AA in the directory or file name. Orignal directory:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail4mz
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively rename directories

I have this directory tree under /apps/myapp/data: imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/foldersc.png How to recursively rename ONLY directories with 5 digits (00000, 00100, 00200,..., 00007, 00107,...)? I want to add to their name two more zeros: Before: 00107 After: 0000107 Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Susan_45
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch rename files that do not match pattern

Hi all, I do not have programming experience and mostly use one-liner or sometimes more to get the job done. I am having problem to batch rename the files that do not match a particular pattern. Sample file-names from directory: Meeting_Packages.pdf 13_textfile0 19_textfile0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: atulkakrana
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch Script To Unzip and Rename File

Hello All, I need help in writing a batch script. I have 100 zip files in a folder. Each zip file has a unique name starting with XYZ_12345.zip Each zip file contains single csv file I would like to batch extract the files and also rename the extracted csv as per the original zip name... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajlakshmi
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and rename file recursively

Hi, I have a directory which contains multiple files with .txt extension, i want to rename all these file to .bak extension using find command, this is what i've tried, please help me to correct this : find /home/application/test -name '*.txt' -exec rename 's/txt/bak/' {} \; seems to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
8 Replies
RENAME(1)							   User Commands							 RENAME(1)

NAME
rename - rename files SYNOPSIS
rename [options] expression replacement file... DESCRIPTION
rename will rename the specified files by replacing the first occurrence of expression in their name by replacement. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Give visual feedback which files where renamed, if any. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -s, --symlink Peform rename on symlink target -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
Given the files foo1, ..., foo9, foo10, ..., foo278, the commands rename foo foo0 foo? rename foo foo0 foo?? will turn them into foo001, ..., foo009, foo010, ..., foo278. And rename .htm .html *.htm will fix the extension of your html files. WARNING
The renaming has no safeguards. If the user has permission to rewrite file names, the command will perform the action without any ques- tions. For example, the result can be quite drastic when the command is run as root in the /lib directory. Always make a backup before running the command, unless you truly know what you are doing. SEE ALSO
mmv(1), mv(1) AVAILABILITY
The rename command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2011 RENAME(1)