Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Batch rename recursively
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Batch rename recursively Post 302329101 by ..Chris.. on Friday 26th of June 2009 12:29:14 AM
Old 06-26-2009
Error Batch rename recursively

I would like to replace multiple underscores with hyphens but I have 26,000 files to rename. They are all in one file structure and multiple sub-directories.

It would be much simpler if I had a script to do it. Here are some samples of the file names:

Example 1
books/horrors/small/books_horrors_small_0000000386.jpg

Rename to

books/horrors/small/books-horrors-small-0000000386.jpg

Example 2
books/comedy/small/books_comedy_small_0000001687.jpg

Rename to

books/comedy/small/books-comedy-small-0000001687.jpg

There are 26,000 files that look similer to that and are all in different directories.

The only thing I need to do is replace all the underscores _ with hyphens -

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename in batch

example test1 will have m1234567.12a I would like to rename in batch but I don't Please help me on this. cd /a1/a2/a3 test1=$(basename /a1/a2/a3/*.*) >> /tmp/t echo $test1 echo "Extracting 8 th position" >> /tmp/t2 awk '{print substr($1,8,1); }' $test1 >> /tmp/t3 echo "extraction ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kathy18
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rename the file in batch

In my dir there are files like a.xml b.xml abnc.xml 12.abc.xml 12.anc.sfoioi.xml I need to remove .xml from all the files Is there any direct way without using any for/do loop Right now i am using for file in * do ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files recursively

hi I have files named 123_234_aaa.jpg 234_231_345.jpg and i wish to rename these files to aaa.jpg and 345.jpg. i.e inital number,_,next number should be removed form the file name. Please let me know how can i do it. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch rename files after internal search pattern

Hello all I am trying to do a script that would allow me to mass rename files after a grep search within them. They are XML files and the pattern I would like to append to the file name is easy to find (e.g. <filename>foo</filename>), but I can't for the life of me find out how to do it and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aavv
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

try to batch rename using sed (if this is best)

hi gooday I need some help with a rename I am attempting. I'd like to rename a bunch of files in a folder example list.dat.old to list_N.dat query.dat.old to query_N.dat note the two periods in (.dat.old) to become _N.dat I tried using sed like this ls *.dat.old | sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnstrong
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively rename some files

Hello, I have one directory with 3 level sub-directories, and about houndard files under those directories. I need a shell script to rename all patern mateched directories and files. For example: the patern is AA in the directory or file name. Orignal directory:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail4mz
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively rename directories

I have this directory tree under /apps/myapp/data: imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/foldersc.png How to recursively rename ONLY directories with 5 digits (00000, 00100, 00200,..., 00007, 00107,...)? I want to add to their name two more zeros: Before: 00107 After: 0000107 Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Susan_45
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch rename files that do not match pattern

Hi all, I do not have programming experience and mostly use one-liner or sometimes more to get the job done. I am having problem to batch rename the files that do not match a particular pattern. Sample file-names from directory: Meeting_Packages.pdf 13_textfile0 19_textfile0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: atulkakrana
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch Script To Unzip and Rename File

Hello All, I need help in writing a batch script. I have 100 zip files in a folder. Each zip file has a unique name starting with XYZ_12345.zip Each zip file contains single csv file I would like to batch extract the files and also rename the extracted csv as per the original zip name... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajlakshmi
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and rename file recursively

Hi, I have a directory which contains multiple files with .txt extension, i want to rename all these file to .bak extension using find command, this is what i've tried, please help me to correct this : find /home/application/test -name '*.txt' -exec rename 's/txt/bak/' {} \; seems to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
8 Replies
WRJPGCOM(1)						      General Commands Manual						       WRJPGCOM(1)

NAME
wrjpgcom - insert text comments into a JPEG file SYNOPSIS
wrjpgcom [ -replace ] [ -comment text ] [ -cfile name ] [ filename ] DESCRIPTION
wrjpgcom reads the named JPEG/JFIF file, or the standard input if no file is named, and generates a new JPEG/JFIF file on standard output. A comment block is added to the file. The JPEG standard allows "comment" (COM) blocks to occur within a JPEG file. Although the standard doesn't actually define what COM blocks are for, they are widely used to hold user-supplied text strings. This lets you add annotations, titles, index terms, etc to your JPEG files, and later retrieve them as text. COM blocks do not interfere with the image stored in the JPEG file. The maximum size of a COM block is 64K, but you can have as many of them as you like in one JPEG file. wrjpgcom adds a COM block, containing text you provide, to a JPEG file. Ordinarily, the COM block is added after any existing COM blocks; but you can delete the old COM blocks if you wish. OPTIONS
Switch names may be abbreviated, and are not case sensitive. -replace Delete any existing COM blocks from the file. -comment text Supply text for new COM block on command line. -cfile name Read text for new COM block from named file. If you have only one line of comment text to add, you can provide it on the command line with -comment. The comment text must be sur- rounded with quotes so that it is treated as a single argument. Longer comments can be read from a text file. If you give neither -comment nor -cfile, then wrjpgcom will read the comment text from standard input. (In this case an input image file name MUST be supplied, so that the source JPEG file comes from somewhere else.) You can enter multiple lines, up to 64KB worth. Type an end-of-file indicator (usually control-D) to terminate the comment text entry. wrjpgcom will not add a COM block if the provided comment string is empty. Therefore -replace -comment "" can be used to delete all COM blocks from a file. EXAMPLES
Add a short comment to in.jpg, producing out.jpg: wrjpgcom -c "View of my back yard" in.jpg > out.jpg Attach a long comment previously stored in comment.txt: wrjpgcom in.jpg < comment.txt > out.jpg or equivalently wrjpgcom -cfile comment.txt < in.jpg > out.jpg SEE ALSO
cjpeg(1), djpeg(1), jpegtran(1), rdjpgcom(1) AUTHOR
Independent JPEG Group 15 June 1995 WRJPGCOM(1)